LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 343 users in the forums

Justin Pugh

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Su'a-Filo and Cooper have struggled at times, but I like the free agent model of lower-cost deals for former high picks that have struggled elsewhere. Cooper, especially, has plenty of ability. He was a monster at UNC.

I live 20 minutes from Giants stadium. All my friends are Giants fans. I've watched at least some of just about every Giants game every year for my entire life. I can assure you they want Richburg back. Along with Pugh, he's been one of the only bright spots on that disaster of an OL. This is the first year he appeared in fewer than 15 games. You're overstating the injury concerns.

I'd love to get Quenton Nelson, but not in the top 5, and that's where we'll likely end up barring more Jimmy G magic. I'd rather address the OL in free agency. The advent of the spread is making it more and more difficult to properly evaluate college linemen.

More likely they are just busts. Cooper failed even in NE. He looks decent in Dallas surrounded by top end talent. Su'a-Filo had been awful most of his career.

With Garoppolo on board, they aren't in any position to be throwing up Hail Mary's for the OL. They need legit stud offensive linemen, not just to pass protect but to also be able to run the ball well.

i agree. lets make sure that O-line will be solid.
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Su'a-Filo and Cooper have struggled at times, but I like the free agent model of lower-cost deals for former high picks that have struggled elsewhere. Cooper, especially, has plenty of ability. He was a monster at UNC.

I live 20 minutes from Giants stadium. All my friends are Giants fans. I've watched at least some of just about every Giants game every year for my entire life. I can assure you they want Richburg back. Along with Pugh, he's been one of the only bright spots on that disaster of an OL. This is the first year he appeared in fewer than 15 games. You're overstating the injury concerns.

I'd love to get Quenton Nelson, but not in the top 5, and that's where we'll likely end up barring more Jimmy G magic. I'd rather address the OL in free agency. The advent of the spread is making it more and more difficult to properly evaluate college linemen.

More likely they are just busts. Cooper failed even in NE. He looks decent in Dallas surrounded by top end talent. Su'a-Filo had been awful most of his career.

With Garoppolo on board, they aren't in any position to be throwing up Hail Mary's for the OL. They need legit stud offensive linemen, not just to pass protect but to also be able to run the ball well.

draft defense/wr. buy OLine.
Originally posted by 4thandlong:

Im down.. What about CB and competition for Malcolm Smith doe?
I imagine Lynch is trying to steal Pugh from the Cardinals. With Weston and Justin playing together in NY, they would have an easier transition to the 9ers. I really hope they get this done today, it would allow the 9ers to go into the draft not desperate for OG help.
Pugh was actually pretty bad last year. Theres a reason Giants let him go, and we're going after Norwell instead.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Pugh was actually pretty bad last year. Theres a reason Giants let him go, and we're going after Norwell instead.

Ugh, Norwell has signed with the Jags.

Pugh when healthy is good, the issue is he's never healthy...it's all not like a concussion or anything, it's back and knee issues.

I hope they pass on him

Pugh did have a back issue last year that only allowed him to play half the season. Also, I believe he played a lot last year at RT due to the Giants' needs on the OL and T isn't his strongest position. He's a quality G if healthy.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
People really overrate players on other teams.

If Pugh was a Niner last year he would have got the Kilgore treatment on this board. Just because he's not on your roster doesn't mean he is any good. Nobody cares if they have to go against Justin Pugh. He is a complete non factor and doesn't force a defense to do anything they wouldn't otherwise do.
[ Edited by okdkid on Mar 16, 2018 at 9:05 AM ]
im not going to act like ive watched his film and can give you an expert opinion, but the talk from the analyst is that he is a really good player.

Played bad last year because they made him kick out to T. He can play it but his true position is G.

Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Im down.. What about CB and competition for Malcolm Smith doe?

i think we will grab one or two tall lanky CBs who needs coaching up in the mid to late rounds. Put them under Sherman's wing.

As for competition for Smith, i think we go after O'Daniel from Clemson or Matthew Thomas from FSU. Great fast players
I would love to see us go out and sign Jokel and Pugh to sure up the oline. We add depth at TE with Ebron. We boost the secondary with a couple younger veterans. i think we should give Honey Badger a shot. Then we can focus the draft on DE, OLB, and WR

Yes sir - very accurate.
Originally posted by okdkid:
People really overrate players on other teams.

If Pugh was a Niner last year he would have got the Kilgore treatment on this board. Just because he's not on your roster doesn't mean he is any good. Nobody cares if they have to go against Justin Pugh. He is a complete non factor and doesn't force a defense to do anything they wouldn't otherwise do.

Good call man!
  • dj43

I'm sure most here would agree with that. The problem is, as has been stated in this thread and others, that there are very few pro-ready OL coming out of college. The reason being that many college programs are running spread offenses that rely on athletic ability with little time/focus spent on technique. The result is a dearth of quality OL coming out of college.

As I look at the many mock drafts, I see everyone is on board with Nelson as being a top 10 pick. After that, about the only consensus top 30 OLs are Isaiah Wynn and Mike McGlinchey, both between 15 and 25. Will Hernandez and Kolton Miller are getting some love at the back end of the round. Orlando Brown has fallen due to fitness issues.

The result is that all NFL teams are hanging on to their good guys. Even modest talents are being resigned for increasingly large contracts.

What the best teams will do is look for a physically talented, yet undeveloped player and invest a year or two of technique training before attempting to plug them in. Of course that demands quality coaching or you will have guys like Tomlinson who was highly rated coming out of college but is still pretty much the same player now as he was then. Let's hope Shanny and staff can make something useful out of him.
Share 49ersWebzone