There are 204 users in the forums

OL Laken Tomlinson, signs with NYJ

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Glad he's only going to miss a few months. But he's about as average a G as it gets. I'd like to see a real challenger to him not named Joshua Garnett.

He's better than Person, who is also older and a FA.

No way they can successfully replace two starting guards in one off-season, so we've got another year of Tomlinson at a minimum, and are lucky he didn't tear the ACL. Shanny really seems to like him too.

120 QB hits inside is not an indication of anything good on the interior.

All 3: pass blocking = bad / run blocking = good / overall = average
Originally posted by Niners418:
Huge news. Whether you think he's a starter or not this is big news. He's a solid piece....doesn't mean we shouldn't upgrade but he's solid.

100% agreed.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Wow, they dodged a huuuge bullet.

That's definitely a huge break.

Well technically it's a tear so...
It is remarkable Tomlinson didn't suffer multiple ligament tears the way his leg was contorted. Honestly a miracle. The ACL is supposed to prevent the leg from bending the way his did. It's like the dude was touched by an angel or something. Amazing.

Don't get me wrong, we still need healthy competition on the interior, but Tomlinson is an above average starter who plays equally well in both the run and pass games.

Richburg and Person each have struggled with one or the other, both getting manhandled by power and walked back into our quarterbacks often times. Not so with Tomlinson though. I'd definitely like to see what Mags and Garnett can do with another year of experience because both are not pushed back as easily.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 31, 2018 at 6:11 PM ]
Now Tomlinson should easily be back for all off season activities, assuming he gets the surgery ASAP. Wouldn't mind bringing Person back if it is for the minimum again, or just above. Person was decent, and he can battle with Garnett for the starting RG spot, with the loser going to the bench. Magnuson can back up all 3 middle O-line spots, so that gives us versatility on our 53. My perfect draft would be to get Bosa with the number 2 over all pick, and then in the 2nd, draft a OT that some how slid out of the 1st round, thus giving us a good T on the bench to back up Joe and Mike. Eventually Joe will retire, so having a young T on hand will help us going forward once Mike slides over to LT.
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
Now Tomlinson should easily be back for all off season activities, assuming he gets the surgery ASAP.

He doesn't need surgery. He should be 100% for OTAs.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Great news - he's still a young player and a good one at that.
  • dj43
Such good news. The guy was very emotional following the injury. He has overcome all the Detroit nonsense and become a solid player. He is certainly more relieved than any of us over the diagnosis.
[ Edited by dj43 on Dec 31, 2018 at 10:06 PM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:

Yes sir

Originally posted by 49erWill:
Originally posted by mayo49:

Yes sir

Ditto
thank god it is not severe. I don't want to use a draft pick on a guard this year honestly.
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
Now Tomlinson should easily be back for all off season activities, assuming he gets the surgery ASAP. Wouldn't mind bringing Person back if it is for the minimum again, or just above. Person was decent, and he can battle with Garnett for the starting RG spot, with the loser going to the bench. Magnuson can back up all 3 middle O-line spots, so that gives us versatility on our 53. My perfect draft would be to get Bosa with the number 2 over all pick, and then in the 2nd, draft a OT that some how slid out of the 1st round, thus giving us a good T on the bench to back up Joe and Mike. Eventually Joe will retire, so having a young T on hand will help us going forward once Mike slides over to LT.

I would love that scenario
Originally posted by dj43:
Such good news. The guy was very emotional following the injury. He has overcome all the Detroit nonsense and become a solid player. He is certainly more relieved than any of us over the diagnosis.

I was listening to Biderman's podcast and it's their fault. They had just interviewed him and he's super superstitious, knocking on wood about how he was the only player to take every snap all year...BAM...welcome to the injury curse.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 1, 2019 at 4:32 PM ]
Trade Joshua Garnett and draft a guard early.
Share 49ersWebzone