There are 113 users in the forums

Joshua Garnett OG - 28th overall pick, released

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
If this dude plays to his full potential our oline could be top 10

Staley Beadles Zuttah Garnett Brown

No doubt.

If he even gets close to his potential our OLine will right up there.

They still would have serious question marks at lg and rt. And thdy dont have much depth either. The best case scenario would be thr middle of the pack and im not that optimistic.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
They still would have serious question marks at lg and rt. And thdy dont have much depth either. The best case scenario would be thr middle of the pack and im not that optimistic.

What's wrong with brown? He does need to work at run blocking but he was our best pass blocking tackle last yr.
Still mad we traded up for him
I don't know if he fits in the new scheme.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
What's wrong with brown? He does need to work at run blocking but he was our best pass blocking tackle last yr.
Me too

Originally posted by NorthBay49er:
I don't know if he fits in the new scheme.

Got quick feet and length for days...he's got to lose a couple lbs but they didn't draft anyone at OT for a reason.
Got quick feet and length for days...he's got to lose a couple lbs but they didn't draft anyone at OT for a reason.

This, a RT with those feet and length fit in any system. Talent trumps

No doubt.

Pdizo, some guys have been harping on Trenton from the gitgo, saying he can't do this, he is too big an slow for that, and it just continues, literally from a few people , ad nauseam. My question to you is, where were you last year when the 16 games were played? This kid, this man mountain, 6'7" or so, is agile, has great quick feet, (and if you haven't seen the vid of Trenton dunking a basketball, you need to do so):

Among other things:
...Trenton has great hand eye coordination...
....it takes about 10 seconds just to get around him if he is just standing still
....he was easily our best OL last yr by a good margin
....he is incredibly strong, literally taking guys like von Miller and throwing him back across the line in PS joint practice with Denver..and von miller said as much
....is en route to becoming one of the very best OTs out there
....serves up pancakes like nobody we have ever seen
...was slow in picking up 2nd level defenders, but got way better as season wore on
...does NOT move like any big man I have ever seen...for a really big guy he is quick on his feet, great reaction time
...and basically has done this with just ONE YR under his belt...he got 2 games at end of season 2 yrs ago.

Basically, pdizo, this is a wonderful freak of an athlete, the likes of which i have never seen in the NFL before. I am not talking just about big...lots of guys like that...but amazingly athletic, able to do stuff great athletes can do. When he first came here, i don't really think he knew if he could play NFL football. He was tentative, uncertain, in his first game two yrs back. Then last game of 2015 season, he seemed to get it together, as if he realized, "yes, I can do this" and it was like a light switch went on. From then on it was just onward and upward.

Now, no question it takes agility and good lateral movement to run blocking for Kyle's scheme. But Trenton is plenty agile enough for this, but it is new to him. He was a fast learner once he got on the field, and there is zero reason to assume he can't block just fine for either Joe, Jusczyk, or Carlos . As for pass blocking, Kyle and Lynch already KNOW what his pass blocking is like. He just doesn't let anybody get around him and they sure as hell aren't stupid enough to try and go over him.

Yes he missed a couple blocks last yr, in both cases by an all pro who just outfoxed and beat him. But Trenton learned and that stopped quickly. He is easily on track to once again be our best OL this yr, and once he gets inculcated into Kyle's O, look out for all pro status. Once we start winning again, and it starts this Sept, look for the guy you aren't all that sure about to end up all pro. It was noted that we did NOT draft another OT...that was because kyle and john know exactly what they have in the massive talent there at RT.

When Joe was hurt, TRenton slid over to LT and had a great game ...or two. He is just this huge talent, waiting on a great HC/OC , to start becoming well known league wide. I have written this post so often it gets tiresome, but guys, like yourself, who think we need to do better at RT? You just aren't going to find someone like that. Once Trenton gets locked on to ZBS, nobody will be saying a peep about anything negative relating to Trenton.

And on top of that, he is a good kid, not a problem child , just a great player and better teammate. His biggest hurdle...not being sure himself if he could do this....was overcome the last (and his 2nd) game in 2015. I encourage you and the few others who continue to say we need another RT...to spend time watching him this season. Better, watch some film of him and you will get an eyeful. It just doesn't seem a guy that huge can move that well...yet he can. He is destined for all pro material and a yr into Kyle's O, others will note it too. I hope you are one of those. Watch his film, pdizo, just watch his film. Isolate on him and you will come away amazed. Also his last half of 2016 was notably better than first half. You can see him learning along the way.

You just don't discard awesome talent like this. And kyle and John both know that already. He is not a sleek looking jaguar out there. But he is one helluva run blocker and nobody gets by him on pass pro.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 20, 2017 at 6:40 AM ]
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
That's a myth. Of the past 7 offensive linemen who received the Outland prior to Garnett, two of them never produced in the NFL (Greg Eslinger and Barrett Jones) and another has been primarily a backup or fill-in for injured players (Gabe Carimi). We'll be lucky if Garnett turns into Gabe Carimi at this rate.

2005: Greg Eslinger - did not play at all in the NFL
2006: Joe Thomas - franchise LT
2008: Andre Smith - starter
2010: Gabe Carimi - backup
2011: Barrett Jones - practice squad, currently not signed
2012: Luke Joeckel - starter
2014: Brandon Scherff - starter, Pro Bowl this year
2015: Joshua Garnett - below average starter

You could dismiss the defensive winners but that's only to make your point. I said winners produce. Including the defensive picks, the majority produce compared to other metrics.

Lmao. You could include the defensive winners but that's only to make your point. Why would you include defensive linemen when talking about whether an offensive linemen who won the Outland Trophy will produce in the NFL? I was generous to include offensive tackles. If you look at interior offensive linemen, the only two guys who were primarily interior offensive linemen in college were both busts (Eslinger and Jones, but Jones did play LT in 2011 when he wont the award).

Since 1980, 7 players have won the Outland Trophy playing guard or center (I included Jones below because he primarily played guard/center in college to make that 8). Only 1 has ever made it to a Pro Bowl and most of these guys never became consistent starters.

1981-1982: Dave Rimington - started 80 games
1983: Dean Steinkuhler - started 1 game
1989: Mohammed Elewonibi - started 19 games
1992: Will Shields - started 223 games, 12x Pro Bowl
1997: Aaron Taylor - started no games
2005: Greg Eslinger - started no games
2011: Barrett Jones - started no games
2015: Joshua Garnett - started 11 games

Winning the Outland Award as an interior offensive lineman means very little when it comes to projecting NFL success. Garnett should have a better shot at contributing than some of these guys because he was a first round pick, but you're way off base saying he's more likely to be successful because he won an award in college. A lot of first round picks never pan out (particularly late first round picks) too, but they have a better success rate than your generic Outland Trophy interior offensive lineman (guard/center).
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

No doubt.

Pdizo, some guys have been harping on Trenton from the gitgo, saying he can't do this, he is too big an slow for that, and it just continues, literally from a few people , ad nauseam. My question to you is, where were you last year when the 16 games were played? This kid, this man mountain, 6'7" or so, is agile, has great quick feet, (and if you haven't seen the vid of Trenton dunking a basketball, you need to do so):

Among other things:
...Trenton has great hand eye coordination...
....it takes about 10 seconds just to get around him if he is just standing still
....he was easily our best OL last yr by a good margin
....he is incredibly strong, literally taking guys like von Miller and throwing him back across the line in PS joint practice with Denver..and von miller said as much
....is en route to becoming one of the very best OTs out there
....serves up pancakes like nobody we have ever seen
...was slow in picking up 2nd level defenders, but got way better as season wore on
...does NOT move like any big man I have ever seen...for a really big guy he is quick on his feet, great reaction time
...and basically has done this with just ONE YR under his belt...he got 2 games at end of season 2 yrs ago.

Basically, pdizo, this is a wonderful freak of an athlete, the likes of which i have never seen in the NFL before. I am not talking just about big...lots of guys like that...but amazingly athletic, able to do stuff great athletes can do. When he first came here, i don't really think he knew if he could play NFL football. He was tentative, uncertain, in his first game two yrs back. Then last game of 2015 season, he seemed to get it together, as if he realized, "yes, I can do this" and it was like a light switch went on. From then on it was just onward and upward.

Now, no question it takes agility and good lateral movement to run blocking for Kyle's scheme. But Trenton is plenty agile enough for this, but it is new to him. He was a fast learner once he got on the field, and there is zero reason to assume he can't block just fine for either Joe, Jusczyk, or Carlos . As for pass blocking, Kyle and Lynch already KNOW what his pass blocking is like. He just doesn't let anybody get around him and they sure as hell aren't stupid enough to try and go over him.

Yes he missed a couple blocks last yr, in both cases by an all pro who just outfoxed and beat him. But Trenton learned and that stopped quickly. He is easily on track to once again be our best OL this yr, and once he gets inculcated into Kyle's O, look out for all pro status. Once we start winning again, and it starts this Sept, look for the guy you aren't all that sure about to end up all pro. It was noted that we did NOT draft another OT...that was because kyle and john know exactly what they have in the massive talent there at RT.

When Joe was hurt, TRenton slid over to LT and had a great game ...or two. He is just this huge talent, waiting on a great HC/OC , to start becoming well known league wide. I have written this post so often it gets tiresome, but guys, like yourself, who think we need to do better at RT? You just aren't going to find someone like that. Once Trenton gets locked on to ZBS, nobody will be saying a peep about anything negative relating to Trenton.

And on top of that, he is a good kid, not a problem child , just a great player and better teammate. His biggest hurdle...not being sure himself if he could do this....was overcome the last (and his 2nd) game in 2015. I encourage you and the few others who continue to say we need another RT...to spend time watching him this season. Better, watch some film of him and you will get an eyeful. It just doesn't seem a guy that huge can move that well...yet he can. He is destined for all pro material and a yr into Kyle's O, others will note it too. I hope you are one of those. Watch his film, pdizo, just watch his film. Isolate on him and you will come away amazed. Also his last half of 2016 was notably better than first half. You can see him learning along the way.

You just don't discard awesome talent like this. And kyle and John both know that already. He is not a sleek looking jaguar out there. But he is one helluva run blocker and nobody gets by him on pass pro.

Excellent post paso!

Many of our WebZone experts keep saying Trenton should be discarded that he won't fit into Kyle's system.

BULLSHIRT!

They don't know diddily.

This guy, IMO, is going to be a star for the Niners.

Remember when the Joe Staley pick was panned by the "experts" in the Zone?

They were wrong then and I think they'll be wrong again.

Excellent post paso!

Many of our WebZone experts keep saying Trenton should be discarded that he won't fit into Kyle's system.

BULLSHIRT!

They don't know diddily.

This guy, IMO, is going to be a star for the Niners.

Remember when the Joe Staley pick was panned by the "experts" in the Zone?

They were wrong then and I think they'll be wrong again.

I'm with you guys on Brown - I think he's our most promising offensive lineman now that Staley is getting old and I'd hate to discard him.

I don't know if he'll ever be able to transition to LT, but he's a pain to get around at RT. Hopefully he's been working on his conditioning in the offseason so he can get a consistent push in the running game.

I'm not expecting us to have a top 10 OL, but hopefully we'll be middle of the pack. Staley is still a decent starter at LT, Beadles, Zuttah, and Garnett will hopefully be average/slightly below average starters, and I'm hopeful that Brown will be an above average starter at RT. If our offensive line isn't at least mediocre, we're in a lot of trouble with no receivers to speak of other than an aging Pierre Garcon to pair with Kerley/Goodwin who would be fringe #3 WRs on most teams.
hope he does well this year
We can call him the steamroller if he gets up and firing.
Originally posted by NorthBay49er:

Same. We traded a 4th and 6th move up. Could've still took a good player with our second round pick. Then could've had Dak or another 4th round talent. We needed to do something to that o line though. 2015 it was so bad it was sickening .
We will draft for O line next year.

This is dr4afting 101.

First draft for defence - get outstanding prospects.

First get DBs

then get LB

then get DLs

then get OL

then get RB, QB

it takes 5 good drafts.

Lynch is 1 for 1.

Trust him.
Share 49ersWebzone