Listen: 49ers Legend Vernon Davis Joins the Show →

There are 137 users in the forums

Joshua Garnett OG - 28th overall pick, released

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by pdizo916:
whitehair made the probowl last season....

Along with like 100 other people.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Probably got in as a C right?.. I'm not losing sleep if Garnett makes it with big Zuttah and Kilgore for depth now.
Originally posted by OG-9er:
How well will Garnett fit into this blocking scheme? Baalke got him to block for inside zone. Seems powerful but not agile. Scored low on Sparq. He needs to come through or put OG near top of the list of needs going into 2018. Guards are important in getting this run game going.

I always prefer players who are just a bit too big & need to cut weight. Never a fan of players who need to bulk up (like Tank Carradine to play the 5-tech').

I still wanted Robert Nkemdiche, who I think will become a great player. He & Buckner inside would have eventually become a nasty inside duo IMO. But if Garnett can cut 10 pounds & eventually get down to around 305, I think he's athletic enough to be pretty effective in a zone scheme & help me forget about R.N.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on May 14, 2017 at 12:35 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
How well will Garnett fit into this blocking scheme? Baalke got him to block for inside zone. Seems powerful but not agile. Scored low on Sparq. He needs to come through or put OG near top of the list of needs going into 2018. Guards are important in getting this run game going.

I always prefer players who are just a bit too big & need to cut weight. Never a fan of players who need to bulk up (like Tank Carradine to play the 5-tech').

I still wanted Robert Nkemdiche, who I think will become a great player. He & Buckner inside would have eventually become a nasty inside duo IMO. But if Garnett can cut 10 pounds & eventually get down to around 305, I think he's athletic enough to be pretty effective in a zone scheme & help me forget about R.N.

You don't win the Outland trophy and not produce in the NFL, regardless of scheme. The list of winners is impressive. I believe this coaching staff will teach a superior scheme, and if you combine that with attention to detail, Shanahan will get the best out of Garnett
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
He looked fine to me as a rookie last season. Excited to see him this year across a full season.
Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Originally posted by NinerSickness:

You don't win the Outland trophy and not produce in the NFL, regardless of scheme. The list of winners is impressive. I believe this coaching staff will teach a superior scheme, and if you combine that with attention to detail, Shanahan will get the best out of Garnett

That's a myth. Of the past 7 offensive linemen who received the Outland prior to Garnett, two of them never produced in the NFL (Greg Eslinger and Barrett Jones) and another has been primarily a backup or fill-in for injured players (Gabe Carimi). We'll be lucky if Garnett turns into Gabe Carimi at this rate.

2005: Greg Eslinger - did not play at all in the NFL
2006: Joe Thomas - franchise LT
2008: Andre Smith - starter
2010: Gabe Carimi - backup
2011: Barrett Jones - practice squad, currently not signed
2012: Luke Joeckel - starter
2014: Brandon Scherff - starter, Pro Bowl this year
2015: Joshua Garnett - below average starter
This guy blows
Originally posted by okdkid:
He looked fine to me as a rookie last season. Excited to see him this year across a full season.

we need to have him play just LG, where he played in college.
He will be retooled and reschooled.

He must have talent to win the Outland.

all he needs is Belief.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
we need to have him play just LG, where he played in college.

He will eventually play LG but I think he sticks at RG for now. I think he will be just fine in this scheme and he a very good 10+ year pro.

I wonder how much will kyle have him swing and move around? dude is a straight up mauler but not too agile. Hopefully Kyle has something cooking for him cause he can be a pro bowl run blocker.
Bash and Crash on straight movement plays.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
I wonder how much will kyle have him swing and move around? dude is a straight up mauler but not too agile. Hopefully Kyle has something cooking for him cause he can be a pro bowl run blocker.

Stanford runs a WCO as well and ran a lot of trap and sweeps. He's not the greatest athlete but he is hardly the the stiff some make him out to be. BTW, I think he will end up being our starting center a few years down the road and I think he will have a solid, long carry here
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

and garnett wasn't one of those people...
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
That's a myth. Of the past 7 offensive linemen who received the Outland prior to Garnett, two of them never produced in the NFL (Greg Eslinger and Barrett Jones) and another has been primarily a backup or fill-in for injured players (Gabe Carimi). We'll be lucky if Garnett turns into Gabe Carimi at this rate.

2005: Greg Eslinger - did not play at all in the NFL
2006: Joe Thomas - franchise LT
2008: Andre Smith - starter
2010: Gabe Carimi - backup
2011: Barrett Jones - practice squad, currently not signed
2012: Luke Joeckel - starter
2014: Brandon Scherff - starter, Pro Bowl this year
2015: Joshua Garnett - below average starter

You could dismiss the defensive winners but that's only to make your point. I said winners produce. Including the defensive picks, the majority produce compared to other metrics.
Share 49ersWebzone