There are 790 users in the forums
Justin Houston: 6 yrs at $101M
Shop 49ers game tickets
Jul 15, 2015 at 9:11 AM
- ninerfan4life
- Veteran
- Posts: 26,875
Aldon will probably want the same
Jul 15, 2015 at 9:14 AM
- AB81Rules
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 34,100
Say bye bye to Aldon if he has a big season, he will want the same money as Houston just got, and I don't see the 49ers paying him that.
Jul 15, 2015 at 9:15 AM
- NCommand
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 123,365
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Aldon will probably want the same
So basically $16.8M annually. We can afford that no problem. We'll most likely go with 5 years with a decent chunk of upfront money with lots of incentives and clauses written in for safeguard (like CK's).
Jul 15, 2015 at 9:26 AM
- philosoraptor
- Veteran
- Posts: 4,318
Well OLB just got way more expensive. would still pay aldon this especially if the cap keeps rising.
Jul 15, 2015 at 9:37 AM
- AB81Rules
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 34,100
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Aldon will probably want the same
So basically $16.8M annually. We can afford that no problem. We'll most likely go with 5 years with a decent chunk of upfront money with lots of incentives and clauses written in for safeguard (like CK's).
All fine and dandy bud, but what happens if he stays clean, plays great, and his agent says no to little real guarantees like in CKs deal? That's the issue, I wish Baalke would have signed him before the restructure, which saves no money if he plays every week, he will still earn $9.754M this year.
The one thing Baalke won't do is cave on up front guarantees, and fully guaranteed money, no player under this regime(FO wise) has gotten the kind of guarantees that players like Revis, Suh, Rodgers, Flacco, Cutler, etc.. all have gotten in the last 3-4 years. I hate saying it, but he could be a goner, they will most certainly tag him if no deal is reached, but if they stand firm on having a contract like CKs, who is their franchise player in their minds, and he got a little more than $12M fully guaranteed, then I see a hold out, or him playing out a few years under the tag, and bailing for big money elsewhere, cause someone will pay him that much.
Jul 15, 2015 at 9:46 AM
- Pillbusta
- Veteran
- Posts: 25,690
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
All fine and dandy bud, but what happens if he stays clean, plays great, and his agent says no to little real guarantees like in CKs deal? That's the issue, I wish Baalke would have signed him before the restructure, which saves no money if he plays every week, he will still earn $9.754M this year.
The one thing Baalke won't do is cave on up front guarantees, and fully guaranteed money, no player under this regime(FO wise) has gotten the kind of guarantees that players like Revis, Suh, Rodgers, Flacco, Cutler, etc.. all have gotten in the last 3-4 years. I hate saying it, but he could be a goner, they will most certainly tag him if no deal is reached, but if they stand firm on having a contract like CKs, who is their franchise player in their minds, and he got a little more than $12M fully guaranteed, then I see a hold out, or him playing out a few years under the tag, and bailing for big money elsewhere, cause someone will pay him that much.
We on the same page. I wanted him signed before Houston at around Clay Matthews money
Jul 15, 2015 at 10:23 AM
- NCommand
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 123,365
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
Aldon will probably want the same
So basically $16.8M annually. We can afford that no problem. We'll most likely go with 5 years with a decent chunk of upfront money with lots of incentives and clauses written in for safeguard (like CK's).
All fine and dandy bud, but what happens if he stays clean, plays great, and his agent says no to little real guarantees like in CKs deal? That's the issue, I wish Baalke would have signed him before the restructure, which saves no money if he plays every week, he will still earn $9.754M this year.
The one thing Baalke won't do is cave on up front guarantees, and fully guaranteed money, no player under this regime(FO wise) has gotten the kind of guarantees that players like Revis, Suh, Rodgers, Flacco, Cutler, etc.. all have gotten in the last 3-4 years. I hate saying it, but he could be a goner, they will most certainly tag him if no deal is reached, but if they stand firm on having a contract like CKs, who is their franchise player in their minds, and he got a little more than $12M fully guaranteed, then I see a hold out, or him playing out a few years under the tag, and bailing for big money elsewhere, cause someone will pay him that much.
The fact that Aldon, his agent and FO all met recently to build in 'trust-clauses' is probably a good sign that an outline has already been set in principle (behavior and $) and contracts like Houston's will only help set those parameters going forward and be adjusted accordingly. And that would be the max...we can afford the max esp. given you know Paraag is going to structure that bad-boy well...that is, like you noted, IF Aldon has a huge year, he stays clean, has clearly matured, etc. Houston has been very consistent with a big arrow-up over three years. Aldon has gone from 19.5 down to 8.5 to 2.0 sacks. Now, if he gets up to 19.5 again, Aldon "could be" considered arrow-up like Houston but no doubt, both contracts will be structured very differently IMHO.
That said, I totally understand your position in that it may have been more ideal to sign him before Houston. But we can't really blame the FO too much for that one thanks to Aldon's recent choices. Sadly, re: Aldon, this is the time we can actually be thankful for the departures of Justin, Willis, Borland, Davis, etc. re: opening up so much cap space for us.
It might be a practical approach to review the top OLB contracts and note the details to get a better gauge for how Aldon's contract may be structured esp. as it relates to our cap hit in 2016+.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 15, 2015 at 10:35 AM ]
Jul 15, 2015 at 10:24 AM
- LasVegasWally
- Veteran
- Posts: 24,881
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
All fine and dandy bud, but what happens if he stays clean, plays great, and his agent says no to little real guarantees like in CKs deal? That's the issue, I wish Baalke would have signed him before the restructure, which saves no money if he plays every week, he will still earn $9.754M this year.
The one thing Baalke won't do is cave on up front guarantees, and fully guaranteed money, no player under this regime(FO wise) has gotten the kind of guarantees that players like Revis, Suh, Rodgers, Flacco, Cutler, etc.. all have gotten in the last 3-4 years. I hate saying it, but he could be a goner, they will most certainly tag him if no deal is reached, but if they stand firm on having a contract like CKs, who is their franchise player in their minds, and he got a little more than $12M fully guaranteed, then I see a hold out, or him playing out a few years under the tag, and bailing for big money elsewhere, cause someone will pay him that much.
We on the same page. I wanted him signed before Houston at around Clay Matthews money
Me three BUT we really don't know what's going on behind the scenes.
I really don't think Trent is sitting and waiting. I'd bet he's working out details w/Aldon's agent.
I'm NOT an expert in NFL contracts but I'm very well versed in the business world.
Big contracts are made over time w/lots of back and forth negotiations.
Jul 15, 2015 at 10:34 AM
- Chico
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,546
What if we just not play him as much so he can't produce as much? I'm sure this stuff happens all the time. But, we should only play him when needed and if the game's a gimme then put in Lynch so that Aldon can't pad his stats and drive up his value.
i should be a GM
i should be a GM
Jul 15, 2015 at 10:37 AM
- Jeepzilla
- Veteran
- Posts: 6,720
It's possible both sides were waiting to see what Houston was going to get.
Is Houston better or equal or worse then Smith?
Is Houston better or equal or worse then Smith?
[ Edited by jeepzilla on Jul 15, 2015 at 10:38 AM ]
Jul 15, 2015 at 10:52 AM
- Geeked
- Veteran
- Posts: 10,057
Originally posted by jeepzilla:It's possible both sides were waiting to see what Houston was going to get.
Is Houston better or equal or worse then Smith?
I see them as different. Houston, from my observation, is more of an all arounder. A "true" OLB. Smith is more of a Ware type OLB. Great rush and run stopper that can drop to a DE during nickel and dime situations.
Jul 15, 2015 at 11:25 AM
- lamontb
- Veteran
- Posts: 33,284
If Aldon plays like he has his entire career then they need to pay the man whatever the going market rate is. Can't just let pass rushers like that walk. Just gotta put in a knucklehead clause. I'm not sure if Houston has ever had any off the field issues.
Jul 15, 2015 at 11:28 AM
- Pillbusta
- Veteran
- Posts: 25,690
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Me three BUT we really don't know what's going on behind the scenes.
I really don't think Trent is sitting and waiting. I'd bet he's working out details w/Aldon's agent.
I'm NOT an expert in NFL contracts but I'm very well versed in the business world.
Big contracts are made over time w/lots of back and forth negotiations.
I always thought we would have extended Aldon by the bye week if he has stayed clean and played well. He will play well now with $100 million dollar deals at stake no doubt
Jul 15, 2015 at 12:18 PM
- InsertNameHere1
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,556
This is exactly why we should've signed him at the end of last season. Now, if Aldon has around 20 sacks, which is a very good chance, he'll want a contract similar to Houston's.