LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 216 users in the forums

The Patriots deflated footballs Sunday night.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by eamjr10:
I don't think this will have that much of an impact on his legacy. When he retires and is inducted into the HOF he will go down as one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game and rightfully so. People will look back and remember his journey and his success more than deflating footballs.

I mean spy gate and s**t like the tuck rule actually affected games. Colts blaming some soft footballs on getting raked. lol

Exactly. I can't believe we are actually still discussing this issue.
#FreeBrady
Screw Brady and Bellicheat too.
Hard not to imagine Fitz gaining some more leverage out of this. Would the Jets really gamble on Smith, Petty, or Hackenberg doing decent as their way of taking advantage of Brady now being even more likely to be suspended 4 games? Outside of a sudden massive decline from Brady, his retirement, or a bear ripping off his arms (or a similar injury), this is probably the best chance they have at taking the division, even it it's still not very likely that they will. Just pay Fitz and do your best to take advantage of this situation. Or don't. Just shut that window that almost never opens, gamble with your quarterback, and pray for a wildcard spot to drop from either the Chiefs/Broncos or Bengals/Steelers. That's cool too.

Also, serves dumbass Brady right. He only made the situation worse by destroying his phone the way he did. Which was an act that I'm pretty sure he found funny at the time and thought that that he really stuck it to Goodell, but now it's biting him in the ass hard.
You guys are being so petty. Were you ok when Goodell totally fuked us with the Lance Briggs tampering? Only to see him give his boys the Jets a slap on the wrist on a much more egregious and obvious tampering case...you know when they actually signed the player they were tampering with?

Forget the whole Brady vs Montana thing for a second and just understand what this ruling means for Goodell's power. He can pretty much pick and chose who he punishes and how much he punishes them.

Him destroying his phone had nothing to do with their investigation none of you should be mentioning it.

How did Brady play in the second half of that Colts game or in the Superbowl after they found the balls were lower than legal limit(btw teh original ESPN story was wrong in how much lower and how many balls were below the legal limit) and how did he play last year?

Don't let the NFL brain wash you.
Originally posted by genus49:
You guys are being so petty. Were you ok when Goodell totally fuked us with the Lance Briggs tampering? Only to see him give his boys the Jets a slap on the wrist on a much more egregious and obvious tampering case...you know when they actually signed the player they were tampering with?

Forget the whole Brady vs Montana thing for a second and just understand what this ruling means for Goodell's power. He can pretty much pick and chose who he punishes and how much he punishes them.

Him destroying his phone had nothing to do with their investigation none of you should be mentioning it.

How did Brady play in the second half of that Colts game or in the Superbowl after they found the balls were lower than legal limit(btw teh original ESPN story was wrong in how much lower and how many balls were below the legal limit) and how did he play last year?

Goodell sucks but that doesn't excuse Pats shady business.

Goodell did the Pats a huge favor and destroyed all the illegal tapes they made before anyone saw them.

They both deserve each other.

Me siding on Goodell with this doesn't mean I support him. I actually can't stand him as commissioner, and I'm pretty sure Brady didn't really have the footballs deflated to help help him or whatever.

But Brady destroying his phone does indeed have to do with this investigation. The judges felt this way as well. Doing so was deliberately obstructing, however questionable the reason for the investigation might have been. I would have loved to side with Brady on this as he has his right to privacy, and should have went through whatever legal means he had to in order to defend himself from turning over his phone. But he didn't, and he gave Goodell a free excuse to exercise his power given to him by the CBA. The statement when Brady's appeal was first denied reads..

"We hold that the Commissioner properly exercised his broad discretion under the collective bargaining agreement and that his procedural rulings were properly grounded in that agreement and did not deprive Brady of fundamental fairness"

Brady screwed himself here. How are you going to argue you were deprived of fairness when you were well aware there was an investigation coming up, what it would entail, and days before that investigation you decide to just straight up destroy your phone? (Although the quote might mean that the Goodell acting under the CBA itself is fair, and therefore fair to Brady) What is Goodell suppose to think of the implications of that as an arbitrator? Brady easily could have not destroyed his phone and go through whatever other means he needed to in order to protect his right to privacy. I understand not refusing to turn over his phone would also have at least some implications of guilt, but at least it would seem more plausible that Brady just wanted to protect his privacy, and Goodell would have a harder time using that as evidence to punish Brady. And had Brady went this route, he might have even had the reinstatement successfully appealed, or maybe the reinstatement never happens. And I would have laughed at Goodell as his attempt to overexert his power failed.

But instead Brady takes the dumbest path in what looks like an attempt to spite Goodell during the investigation, and then wonders why his appeal is being denied. Good job Brady.
[ Edited by Dicekiller on Jul 13, 2016 at 12:21 PM ]
Originally posted by Dicekiller:
Me siding on Goodell with this doesn't mean I support him. I actually can't stand him as commissioner, and I'm pretty sure Brady didn't really have the footballs deflated to help help him or whatever.

But Brady destroying his phone does indeed have to do with this investigation. The judges felt this way as well. Doing so was deliberately obstructing, however questionable the reason for the investigation might have been. I would have loved to side with Brady on this as he has his right to privacy, and should have went through whatever legal means he had to in order to defend himself from turning over his phone. But he didn't, and he gave Goodell a free excuse to exercise his power given to him by the CBA. The statement when Brady's appeal was first denied reads..

"We hold that the Commissioner properly exercised his broad discretion under the collective bargaining agreement and that his procedural rulings were properly grounded in that agreement and did not deprive Brady of fundamental fairness"

Brady screwed himself here. How are you going to argue you were deprived of fairness when you were well aware there was an investigation coming up, what it would entail, and days before that investigation you decide to just straight up destroy your phone? (Although the quote might mean that the Goodell acting under the CBA itself is fair, and therefore fair to Brady) What is Goodell suppose to think of the implications of that as an arbitrator? Brady easily could have not destroyed his phone and go through whatever other means he needed to in order to protect his right to privacy. I understand not refusing to turn over his phone would also have at least some implications of guilt, but at least it would seem more plausible that Brady just wanted to protect his privacy, and Goodell would have a harder time using that as evidence to punish Brady. And had Brady went this route, he might have even had the reinstatement successfully appealed, or maybe the reinstatement never happens. And I would have laughed at Goodell as his attempt to overexert his power failed.

But instead Brady takes the dumbest path in what looks like an attempt to spite Goodell during the investigation, and then wonders why his appeal is being denied. Good job Brady.

How is Brady destroying his phone obstruction when the NFL themselves said they told the man they did not need his phone?

Brady and his team provided the NFL all the relevant text and email history and some additional stuff which had nothing to do with the deflategate situation...no big surprise but those emails were leaked to the media. Unless that email about Manning being over the hill was somehow relevant to the NFL investigation?

They're making it sound like the NFL had a search warrant for Brady's phone and Brady barricaded himself in his house as the NFL was pounding down his doors as he destroyed the phone.

The hole situation is silly. What was the punishment for football tampering before this? Goodell got pressure from other owners to put the Pats in place and he found a way to do it and now the courts gave him all this power. The guy needs to be fired asap to save the NFL.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Goodell sucks but that doesn't excuse Pats shady business.

Goodell did the Pats a huge favor and destroyed all the illegal tapes they made before anyone saw them.

They both deserve each other.

Come on you can't really believe that. We haven't exactly been sparkling clean when it comes to playing fair. If we're being fair salary cap violations are a lot worse than spygate & deflate gate stuff.

Pats weren't doing anything other teams weren't guilty of, they were just the ones who got busted or narc'd on. It shouldn't take away from the great things they're doing on the field. Should Jerry not be considered the best receiver ever after opening his mouth about using stickum? Should we have an asterisk added to our 3 SBs we won with him playing?

I get that niner fans want to keep Joe Montana as the best ever and seeing another guy make a claim for the best ever it's tough to not knock him down given the chance but let's not be hypocritical here.
Originally posted by Dicekiller:

How is Brady destroying his phone obstruction when the NFL themselves said they told the man they did not need his phone?

Brady and his team provided the NFL all the relevant text and email history and some additional stuff which had nothing to do with the deflategate situation...no big surprise but those emails were leaked to the media. Unless that email about Manning being over the hill was somehow relevant to the NFL investigation?

They're making it sound like the NFL had a search warrant for Brady's phone and Brady barricaded himself in his house as the NFL was pounding down his doors as he destroyed the phone.

The hole situation is silly. What was the punishment for football tampering before this? Goodell got pressure from other owners to put the Pats in place and he found a way to do it and now the courts gave him all this power. The guy needs to be fired asap to save the NFL.

Did they tell him that they didn't need his phone? If they did tell him something like that, I would think that was regarding those two assistants because they already had their phones and therefore their side of the conversation with Brady, but they still wanted Brady's texts to see if he talked to anyone else about it. To be honest though, I might be forgetting some key timeline stuff since it's been awhile since I've really gone over this.

I don't think they're dramatizing Brady destroying his phone, because honestly there's no need to. It sounds pretty shady all on it's own. Brady "was aware that investigators had requested access to text messages and other electronic information that had been stored on the phone", and yet Brady decides that would be the most fitting time to destroy his phone. The judges thought it was shady as well.

I do agree the situation and how it was handled by everyone is silly, and I can't wait for Goodell to somehow get fired, but Brady did himself no favors in this. And the courts didn't give Goodell the power, the CBA did. The power was always there. I think this is more of a realization of what the NFLPA agreed to. Whatever Goodell does can be upheld by the courts as long as it abides by the CBA.

I don't see why Brady just doesn't come clean. At this point, it's obvious that at a minimum he knew what was going on.

Just fess up.
Originally posted by baltien:
I don't see why Brady just doesn't come clean. At this point, it's obvious that at a minimum he knew what was going on.

Just fess up.

it will tarnish his legacy. To me, he's a cheating f**ker, but to many, Brady cannot do no wrong.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Just fess up.

it will tarnish his legacy. To me, he's a cheating f**ker, but to many, Brady cannot do no wrong.

Yup. "Everyone cheats" is the dumbest response from Brady/Pats sympathizers.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Just fess up.

Right! Maybe everyone does cheat but that's irrelevant because YOU got caught. That's what pisses me off about him. To me, he seems more offended that anyone would dare question him than he is upset that he got suspended.

Man up and admit it, punk.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Share 49ersWebzone