LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 154 users in the forums

Panthers trying to trade Steve Smith before cutting him

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Per Ian Rapoport the Panthers are trying to offload Smith. However I have a hard time saying the Panthers are being smart in this instance. Smith is a gamer and like Boldin has played incredibly well for his age. Sure it s a $7m cap number but come on?

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/443128703749738496

Ian RapoportVerified account‏@RapSheet

The #Panthers are attempting to trade WR Steve Smith, per source. Given his $7M cap number and age (34), seems unlikely.

Reply Retweet Favorite More
[ Edited by sfout on Mar 10, 2014 at 2:39 PM ]
Wait until he's cut then sign him for less. Would love to have him here. He's been one of the most consistent receivers over the last decade and he's always fun to watch.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Wait until he's cut then sign him for less. Would love to have him here. He's been one of the most consistent receivers over the last decade and he's always fun to watch.

As a fellow U of U guy I've always loved how he plays. I remember watching him in college being like -- even in middle school when I had no idea about how he'd do in the NFL I was amazed by him.

If we didn't re-up Boldin I would be all over the idea of acquiring Smith via FA or trade.
I like Steve Smith, and I'd love to have him on the 49ers. However, he's not a fit at all. First off, he's going to want to start; he can't here, because of Boldin/Crabtree. Second of all, even if he agreed to come here, how often do we even run three wide receiver sets? Not very often. Wouldn't make sense to commit millions of dollars to someone who won't be on the field very often.
We don't run many 3 wide set but over the past few years we always seem to get the injury bug at wr. I'd trade for him as long as the price isn't too high. Besides, reports are that Carolina has to be 3 mil of his contract so whoever gets him will be 2-3m with 5m max.
Originally posted by BigTrez:
We don't run many 3 wide set but over the past few years we always seem to get the injury bug at wr. I'd trade for him as long as the price isn't too high. Besides, reports are that Carolina has to be 3 mil of his contract so whoever gets him will be 2-3m with 5m max.
Right, but how do you convince him to be a contingency plan?

Hate to say it, but I could see Seattle letting Tate walk and bringing in Smith as a one-year stopgap... Smith, Harvin and Baldwin would be a nice set of receivers. Let's hope it doesn't happen.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
7 mil cap number.....yah, he's not coming to the 9ers. I do however think he would fit in just right as a Patriot, along with Santonio Holmes, but save that for another thread.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
To be clear I didn't start this thread saying we should sign him. I only said he would've been a great plan b if we didn't re-sign Boldin. I'm just interested to see where he ends up.
I wish that Harbaugh/Roman ran an offense that could actually use a player like SS or DeSean for something other than blocking or being a decoy a majority of the time.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Mar 10, 2014 at 3:32 PM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:
7 mil cap number.....yah, he's not coming to the 9ers. I do however think he would fit in just right as a Patriot, along with Santonio Holmes

Totally agree

• pd24
  • Veteran
Nobody is going to take on 7 million. He will be cut. I wouldn't mind him on a small deal in the Moss role. He can still run fast and catch.
I always felt if he was on the Packers or a top flight team he'd have set some records.

7 million is a Twilight Zone figure.

I wonder how he'd do in Detroit?
At his age, it's doubtful any team will pay him $7M. If he'd be willing to take a reasonable pay cut, I agree, he could do some damage for us.
How about in KC opposite Bowe?
An aging superstar in the end of his career for a year or two. hmmm sounds like something the Niners have done a bunch of lately (Moss, Nnamdi, BEdwards.......) But only if it's for a real reasonable price tag!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone