LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

How to fix the officiating, if you think it needs it.

Shop 49ers game tickets
Make the refs full time, any ref that wants to work a second job will never be focused enough to call games correctly. Just like a player, do you think any qb in the league would have proper focus if they alternated as full time business man also?
Originally posted by dave_n_ruth:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Lol, well if you want people would take penalties seriously. Suddenly the NFL would go from 15 flags a game to less than 5. Teams with no penalties would have a much higher probability of winning.

Your dip s**t team won the bowl leading the league in penalties.

I am so glad you pointed that out to me, because I really had no idea.

Anyway...the problem is the officials still will only call so many penalties a game. 15 a game is normal, but it can go as high as 20 or so. They pick and choose, and currently there isn't much anyone can do about it. If they called everything then they run into problems with game length, which is an issue for the networks scheduling. Fairness takes a backseat to revenue. Same reasons baseball was so against replay, and why they keep adding new rules to speed up the games.

STFU!

You guys cheated and that's the bottom line.

You were told to leave so see door, see exit.
The NFL refs are paranoid of making mistakes and it hurts the flow of the game. It seems college maintains a rhythm that the NFL has lost. In one of the big games the announcers were telling the fans that the head ref had officiated three college basketball games that week. Have full time refs that concentrate on the NFL.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
The NFL refs are paranoid of making mistakes and it hurts the flow of the game. It seems college maintains a rhythm that the NFL has lost. In one of the big games the announcers were telling the fans that the head ref had officiated three college basketball games that week. Have full time refs that concentrate on the NFL.

This. BTW that was steratore or one of his crew in the nfccg. Even my seahawks fan brother in law said once they announced that, thereis going to be alot of mistakes in this game by the refs.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Hopefully, the Cheatterall CAWK suckers will let go of some (officials) this offseason, then we can acquire a couple from them to get the upper hand. Corrupted officials are hard to come by these days (for the 49ers that is)
Change the rules. There's too much grey area. Everything should be reviewed. I don't care how long the games will take.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

This. BTW that was steratore or one of his crew in the nfccg. Even my seahawks fan brother in law said once they announced that, thereis going to be alot of mistakes in this game by the refs.

Yeah, and it benefited his f---ing a$$ cheating team!
Fire Goodell and actually call s**t on Seattle. If their DBs get away with all the PI, then every team should. Can't call it separately for different teams. It should not be recognized as Seattle's style of play and termed them just being 'physical'. That's b******t. Call a flag on their secondary every time they hold or pass interfere until they learn. Might slow down their first few games, but eventually they'll have to stop playing like that. Unfortunately the NFL condones that type of play by their secondary because without it they wouldn't be the Legion of Boom and thus ratings would drop.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Here's my Solution:

ALL Games should be archived by the NFL and submitted to a "Officials Review Panel" consisting of 15-20 qualified league officials/arbitrators.

The Panel then reviews each game three times. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Tuesdays are spent reviewing Flagged Plays (both accepted AND declined penalties).
Wednesdays are spend doing "Ghost Officiating", meaning they watch the film as if they are refs during the game looking to see any calls that were NOT flagged.

Thursday is "Evaluation Day". If it's determined that a referee made an error in throwing a flag on more than 2 plays, they receive a fine equal to their pay rate of 7% of a Gameday check.

(It takes me about 30 minutes to review a game on the ALL-22 Camera, and that's with my baby daughter drooling on my lap)

An allowance of 2 missed calls are given to every referee. If it's determined from Ghost Officiating that a ref missed more than 3 calls (ie. a non-call), they receive a fine equal to the pay rate of 10% of a Gameday check. If a referee is fined more than 5 times in a season, he is suspended for 2 weeks.

If a referee is suspended three times in one season, they are exiled from the NFL indefinitely.

The league can get a large portion of the funding for this Review Panel from the fine money they receive from the players each week.
[ Edited by SaksV on Feb 6, 2014 at 7:22 PM ]
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
Player committing penalty is to be removed from field of play.

5 yard yard penalty = 1 down with 10 men (no substitutions)
10 yard penalty = 30 seconds (game clock seconds), same 10 men remain (no substitutions) unless there is a change of possession.
15 yard penalty = 60 seconds (game clock), same 10 men remain on field (no substitutions) unless there is a change of possession.

It would make things interesting at least.

We tried similar "Hockey" rules in our high school program a few years ago and the scores ended up becoming lop-sided or ridiculous shootouts.
I'm talking like games with a final score of 65-53 lol...

Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
also i like the college system a lot better than the NFL's. separate replay official, all plays reviewable. targeting penalties (hits to the head) are confirmed via replay. really doesn't slow the game down that much.

not sure what are the consequences are for missed calls..... all i know is the ref that mike tomlin blocked got demoted or whatever......

This.
Full time officials. /thread
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
also i like the college system a lot better than the NFL's. separate replay official, all plays reviewable. targeting penalties (hits to the head) are confirmed via replay. really doesn't slow the game down that much.

not sure what are the consequences are for missed calls..... all i know is the ref that mike tomlin blocked got demoted or whatever......

This.

Yeah. I just think too much burden has been put on these officials to use their best judgement on many of these calls. I agree calls such as hits to the head and helmet to helmet should be called on the field with player safety in mind BUT it should automatically be a booth review to confirm the helmet to helmet or hot to the head, etc. I also believe in having a seperate booth official works best rather than putting the burden on the referee to review and make a decision. I also think the refs need to be disciplined in some manner for not making proper calls and/or not calling things that should be called. A penalty is a penalty and should be called the same for both sides regardless of the impact on the speed of the game The refs basically are shielded from too much criticism by the NFL and I think its time for the NFL to say use the criticism to improve yourself as an official rather than taking it like a pansy and crying to mommy, aka the NFL.
If penalty is questioned you get that league rule officiating guy to tell the official the change the dam rulling and let the fans hear it so we know it's not fixed, if the sports commentators are patched in to the refs we need to be too.. The fans make the league what it is and we pay hard earned money to see excellence not some WWE fixed event with a lot of politics.. refs need to be punished..
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
If Seattle is holding at the line and getting away every play.Then we should just do the same.If they can get away with it then everyone else should too.That's the only way the rule is going to change
Share 49ersWebzone