There are 187 users in the forums

the nfl should be embarassed

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by zaghawk:
I won't deny that Bowman got the ball, and hell he deserved the ball, held onto it with the knee twist, that's IMPRESSIVE.

But we get the ball on the next play and hell we screw up fumble it and give you guys the ball on the 20 I think? We get ZERO points.

Now imagine if you got the ball as you wanted...ball would be at the 1. Maybe you guys get the first down...or MAYBE we get a safety and the ball back.

We rough the kicker you guys get to continue the drive..maybe the whole game changes and you guys win because of a TD from that drive...or MAYBE we win because of a Pick Six CK throws shortly later. Just saying you really can't say oh if so and so changed this would have happened. At least not for the above situations.

I don't complain about calls, Seahawks have had their fair share of bad calls and non-calls over history as well, but in general I think they all cancel out. A call can cost you a play, but the team wins you the game.

Please don't bring up the tin foil hat theories either, there are so many of them in Seattle and I'm not on that bandwagon either. We lost the Sonics cus we screwed up, we lost the SB because the Steelers played better.

Lastly there IS talk about making EVERY play reviewable, but my God how slow is the game going to be after that.

Everyone makes this last point, but it doesn't make any sense. Coaches would still only have 2+1 challenges.
Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by zaghawk:
I won't deny that Bowman got the ball, and hell he deserved the ball, held onto it with the knee twist, that's IMPRESSIVE.

But we get the ball on the next play and hell we screw up fumble it and give you guys the ball on the 20 I think? We get ZERO points.

Now imagine if you got the ball as you wanted...ball would be at the 1. Maybe you guys get the first down...or MAYBE we get a safety and the ball back.

We rough the kicker you guys get to continue the drive..maybe the whole game changes and you guys win because of a TD from that drive...or MAYBE we win because of a Pick Six CK throws shortly later. Just saying you really can't say oh if so and so changed this would have happened. At least not for the above situations.

I don't complain about calls, Seahawks have had their fair share of bad calls and non-calls over history as well, but in general I think they all cancel out. A call can cost you a play, but the team wins you the game.

Please don't bring up the tin foil hat theories either, there are so many of them in Seattle and I'm not on that bandwagon either. We lost the Sonics cus we screwed up, we lost the SB because the Steelers played better.

Lastly there IS talk about making EVERY play reviewable, but my God how slow is the game going to be after that.

Everyone makes this last point, but it doesn't make any sense. Coaches would still only have 2+1 challenges.

i don't think it slows down college games..........
The NFL dodge a very big bullet, had Lynch not fumbled on that next play and the Seahawks scored the talk of that game would have been how the refs blew the Bowman play. In hindsight if we were going to lose I would rather it had been like that rather than the way it ended. With that being said Godell will continue to play with and manipulate the rules because the controversy creates radio/tv ratings and website hits. It's good for the NFL and good for their business partners. The only person it sucks for is the fans of the team getting screwed. Sad to say we have gotten the short end of the stick more often than not. All we can do is prep for next season, draft good, find quality free agents and we will be back in the mix.
Why isn't every play challengeable via red flag? If a team wants to risk a timeout then what's the harm other than altering the ebb and flow of the game? I realize it would be hard to justify every hold but some mis-called penalties that aren't really there etc. just seems there has to be a better system .
My wife asked and I don't know the answer..when did crowd noise stop being called as a penalty?
Does anyone else notice that most of these officials look as though they were brought from a nursing home? I have to believe there are some younger, more in shape guys trying to get these jobs
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
The NFL dodge a very big bullet, had Lynch not fumbled on that next play and the Seahawks scored the talk of that game would have been how the refs blew the Bowman play. In hindsight if we were going to lose I would rather it had been like that rather than the way it ended. With that being said Godell will continue to play with and manipulate the rules because the controversy creates radio/tv ratings and website hits. It's good for the NFL and good for their business partners. The only person it sucks for is the fans of the team getting screwed. Sad to say we have gotten the short end of the stick more often than not. All we can do is prep for next season, draft good, find quality free agents and we will be back in the mix.

Yeah really. Blew the play? For crying out loud, they showed Bowman lying on the ground for a LONG time, clearly on his back holding the ball on his chest, with no one on top or around him. How do the refs NOT know where the ball is????
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Originally posted by 24plus25er:

Yeah really. Blew the play? For crying out loud, they showed Bowman lying on the ground for a LONG time, clearly on his back holding the ball on his chest, with no one on top or around him. How do the refs NOT know where the ball is????

And people say "Oh well, you guys still got the ball back on the 15." but about a minute was burned off the clock in the mist off all the bs.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VinculumJuris:
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
I am really tired of all the posters saying we did not lose because of the refs. WE DID LOSE BECAUSE OF THE REFS!
. . .
The 49ers are the 2013 NFC Champions, even though the history books will say otherwise.

Well so much for my comment in post #34.

My comment (#32) backs up his comment
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
the college replay system is better than the NFL (booth review by an official outside the crew and away from the fans)

the college system on illegal hits are also better than in the NFL. (review to see if the hit was actually illegal)

NCCA = college level (corrupt)

NFL = Professional level (corrupt)

The NFL doesn't care about officiating. The NFL is not considered a sport. The NFL is legally classified as "Sports Entertainment" just like the WWE. The NFL does and will continue to use officiating to steer games and seasonal outcomes the direction they prefer.

The fumble was a bad call, but largely irrelevant because we got it back anyway. Have they addressed the non-call on old boy that ran into the kicker? Right now this is looking like just another "see, we can admit our faults" smokescreen bs to cover story to gloss over up the rest of blown calls.
Originally posted by LVJay:
I am really tired of all the posters saying we did not lose because of the refs. WE DID LOSE BECAUSE OF THE REFS!
. . .
The 49ers are the 2013 NFC Champions, even though the history books will say otherwise.

Haha. I did not read your comment as pinning THIS loss on the refs. It came off to me more as a complaint about the officiating as a whole. Oh well.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
. . .

Haha. I did not read your comment as pinning THIS loss on the refs. It came off to me more as a complaint about the officiating as a whole. Oh well.

Actually, TBH, you were mostly right. The refs (after all) didn't interfere with us trying to make a comeback in the final seconds... the officiating had nothing to do with Kaps poor judgement and 3 turnovers.

The refs had nothing to do with Roman eating Twinkies and trying to be an NFL offensive coordinator. The refs had nothing to do with Harbaugh saving his timeouts like it was precious gold. The refs had nothing to do with our o-line getting punked at times during the game. We were capable enough to choke it away all by ourselves just like last years SB.

However, the officials did have their contributions at key moments... I can't deny that and neither does film
Originally posted by kingairta:
How about adding more officials to the field? Or put some officials in a booth who can radio down to the ref that a flag is to be thrown?

The NFL is a joke right now. The two best teams in the league and a ref crew of clowns.....just inexcusable with the money the league makes every year.

The obvious solution is to have 2 refs in the booth...one to look over the play to see if penalties are missed and another to look at penalties called on the field to determine if they are valid.

Replays come on the TV in 15 seconds so speed is not an issue With the technology the league has today, there is simply no excuse for missing any calls.
Originally posted by JimA49ers:

Not only that but the Hawks DBs were mugging the Niners' receivers on every play....only one defensive holding call the entire game...and even that was not a great call. There were far more egregious non-calls.

The bottom line for me is this. If the refs call the Brooks sack in the N.O. game correctly, the Niners have home field advantage in the playoffs and likely go to the SB. If they blow the call (and the league admitted they did), the Niners go home without a trophy (just like last year in the SB with several non-calls directly affecting the outcome of the game).

Bad calls and bad non-calls DO NOT f***ing even out.......and the idea of "letting them play" is essentially the same thing as "letting them cheat". Get the damn call correct. With all the great technology now, what is so hard about that?
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Jan 22, 2014 at 10:02 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone