LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 240 users in the forums

Does Bruce Arians & Karlos Dansby still believe Wilson is better than Kaepernick????

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by JoRo:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
don't use numbers if your argument is for something that can't be quantified.

I think that is the key with Wilson. He is not just about numbers. He seems to have very good presence in the pocket and when he does have to move, he keeps his eyes down the field. That is something that is not easy to teach, but Wilson seems to have had that from the very beginning. His ability to find receivers after he leaves the pocket is very good. Hence, he makes good plays, and prevents bad ones, that a less accomplished QB would not make.

IMO, Wilson plays in a more QB friendly offense with a more polished OC than Kaepernick. That makes him appear to be more in control, at least that is my take.

even though kaps been a lot better about it now (and yesterday was a perfect indication of it), Wilson has IMO been the more confident QB between the two IMO over the last two seasons and that is something that resonates throughout the team. kap however is definitely the better athlete.

definitely can't use numbers to compare the two, Boldin/Crab/Davis vs Tate/Baldwin/Miller is not even a discussion.
Kaepernick appears to be a faster runner but Wilson is not slow by any means. Kaepernick also appears to have a stronger arm but again, Wilson has plenty of arm to make any throw. Apart from those two, I think they are similar in athletic ability.

true he's not "by far" a better athlete, but still better physical tools.

Not that it matters, but they both ran nearly identical 40 times. 4.53 for Kaep and 4.55 for Wilson.

Good research. I notice Wilson is able to run away from all LBs that chase him and some DBs as well.

In the end, I don't care but it does go to show how loaded the NFC West is now.

well..... not named Navorro Bowman at least...

for the record, right now i think Wilson is ahead in development at this point. however Kaepernick is in a better system to succeed (better WR's, and an offensive HC)
Don't forget the OC. I would argue, pretty long and pretty hard, that the system Darrell Bevell runs in Seattle is more quarterback friendly than what Greg Roman (Jim Harbaugh) runs here. The Harbaugh/Roman system is designed with all kinds of formation and movement gimmicks to make the run game work well, however, not very many of those are particularly advantageous to the passing game.
Kaep held the team together with only two receivers for most of the year. Wilson has amazing reflexes, however, teams are figuring him out. He needs open lanes to pass and his lack of height is a definite issue. This is his best shot for a SB, if he doesn't win this year can the team be kept together under the current salary structure? If we do we meet them in the NFC Championship game, and win, it will be one of the sweetest victories in 49er history.
  • dj43
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Kaep held the team together with only two receivers for most of the year. Wilson has amazing reflexes, however, teams are figuring him out. He needs open lanes to pass and his lack of height is a definite issue. This is his best shot for a SB, if he doesn't win this year can the team be kept together under the current salary structure? If we do we meet them in the NFC Championship game, and win, it will be one of the sweetest victories in 49er history.

Beating Seattle will be on a par with beating Dallas in 1981. That was The Catch, and the Jim Stuckey fumble recovery that locked it up.

Lack of height has not hurt Drew Brees. Not saying Wilson is Brees but he is more mobile and finds a way to get the ball out.

As to salary issues, don't forget about all the guys the 49ers have coming up that will want to get paid. Harbaugh just added about $20MILLION to Crabtree's perceived value by calling him the "greatest catcher" ever. One of those deals where unthinking hyperbole can come back to bite you in the butt…big time. The deeper this team goes in the playoffs the more expensive it is going to get.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

Beating Seattle will be on a par with beating Dallas in 1981. That was The Catch, and the Jim Stuckey fumble recovery that locked it up.

Lack of height has not hurt Drew Brees. Not saying Wilson is Brees but he is more mobile and finds a way to get the ball out.

As to salary issues, don't forget about all the guys the 49ers have coming up that will want to get paid. Harbaugh just added about $20MILLION to Crabtree's perceived value by calling him the "greatest catcher" ever. One of those deals where unthinking hyperbole can come back to bite you in the butt…big time. The deeper this team goes in the playoffs the more expensive it is going to get.

I think that is the key with Wilson. He is not just about numbers. He seems to have very good presence in the pocket and when he does have to move, he keeps his eyes down the field. That is something that is not easy to teach, but Wilson seems to have had that from the very beginning. His ability to find receivers after he leaves the pocket is very good. Hence, he makes good plays, and prevents bad ones, that a less accomplished QB would not make.

IMO, Wilson plays in a more QB friendly offense with a more polished OC than Kaepernick. That makes him appear to be more in control, at least that is my take.

good lord that wasn't my point at all.
In last couple of Sea chicken games that I've watched, Russell has really struggled as a pocket passer. Most of his success has come on the ground or when he's able to scramble. I don't watch enough of their games to know what the problem is, but it SEEMs like teams are figuring him out.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Yes, they both still think Wilson is better... better at baseball
Wilson is a better QB right now. Kap has a way higher ceiling and is as clutch as you can get.
Originally posted by LVJay:
Yes, they both still think Wilson is better... better at baseball

i dont understand this joke

kaepernick got drafted by the mlb
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Wilson is a better QB right now. Kap has a way higher ceiling and is as clutch as you can get.

Wilson has nearly peaked already. Wilson is very clutch. Kap is not nearly as polished yet but once he is the argument will be Kap vs Luck

• JoRo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JoRo:

even though kaps been a lot better about it now (and yesterday was a perfect indication of it), Wilson has IMO been the more confident QB between the two IMO over the last two seasons and that is something that resonates throughout the team. kap however is definitely the better athlete.

definitely can't use numbers to compare the two, Boldin/Crab/Davis vs Tate/Baldwin/Miller is not even a discussion.
Kaepernick appears to be a faster runner but Wilson is not slow by any means. Kaepernick also appears to have a stronger arm but again, Wilson has plenty of arm to make any throw. Apart from those two, I think they are similar in athletic ability.

true he's not "by far" a better athlete, but still better physical tools.

Not that it matters, but they both ran nearly identical 40 times. 4.53 for Kaep and 4.55 for Wilson.

Good research. I notice Wilson is able to run away from all LBs that chase him and some DBs as well.

In the end, I don't care but it does go to show how loaded the NFC West is now.

I think this is one area where the height does come into play. I'm being too lazy to look right now, but I recall Wilsons 10 yard split was a moderate amount better than Kaep's. Kaep made up the difference as they got to the 40 mark. This is a common thing in the sprint track events. Taller guys usually are slower at the start, but once they get up to speed the long legs really chew up the ground. This helps Wilson when evading defenders because he usually isn't in an open space to really get up to speed and moving and just needs that inital burst to escape. I see Kaep get a lot more runs where he is able to utilize his gazelle-like stride and I wouldn't be surprised if he could outrun most of the league in a 100 yard sprint.
Don't forget the OC. I would argue, pretty long and pretty hard, that the system Darrell Bevell runs in Seattle is more quarterback friendly than what Greg Roman (Jim Harbaugh) runs here. The Harbaugh/Roman system is designed with all kinds of formation and movement gimmicks to make the run game work well, however, not very many of those are particularly advantageous to the passing game.

system we'll agree to disagree. but, when i say kaep is in a better position it's because of his supporting cast.
  • dj43

Yes, I did wander a bit. I wanted to make the point that Wilson has some intangibles that make him dangerous.

Yes, I did wander a bit. I wanted to make the point that Wilson has some intangibles that make him dangerous.

of course. so do all great players. that wasn't what was being discussed though.
I wonder if Arians is still in denial about the NFC West being dominant. Even as a fan I find what he said a bit insulting considering he had to have seen the film of the Cardinals getting dismantled 58-0 the year before by Seattle and unless he lived in a bubble up there in Indy he had to notice the 49ers coming off back to back NFC Championship games with a superbowl appearance. If that combined with his 2-4 division record isn't dominant then I guess carry on coach.
Share 49ersWebzone