LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 236 users in the forums

KC: steal of the offseason?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by vaden:
Michael David Smith ‏@MichaelDavSmith 15h

Alex Smith is the only player in NFL history with 350 pass yards, 50 rush yards, 4 TD, 0 INT in any game, regular season or playoffs.

It was a heck of a game by Smith, and he actually made a lot of plays, rather than just managing things.

Smith is the biggest enigma of all-time. When he manages a game, and doesn't make plays, his defense is super and the Chiefs win. When Smith actually goes out and makes a ton of plays, and plays incredible in the second half of the year, his defense sucks and his team loses.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Alex Smith is the only player in NFL history with 350 pass yards, 50 rush yards, 4 TD, 0 INT in any game, regular season or playoffs.

It was a heck of a game by Smith, and he actually made a lot of plays, rather than just managing things.

Smith is the biggest enigma of all-time. When he manages a game, and doesn't make plays, his defense is super and the Chiefs win. When Smith actually goes out and makes a ton of plays, and plays incredible in the second half of the year, his defense sucks and his team loses.

He also likes corndogs.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
first he says its a team sport then goes on to blame Kap

But there were plays that would have been game changing if Kap didn't screw up...and they were 100% on him.

Can't really say that about Alex's mistakes in play-off games.

You obviously didn't watch Alex play in Indy. Or we wouldn't be having this conversation. He looked, in that game, as good as any QB has ever looked.

1/13 3rd down conversion.
  • Jiks
Was bummed about it at first but now don't curr. Alex did what Alex does and that was good enough for me. Now I can fully focus on the Niners. It was pretty cool having two teams to watch weekly, and would've liked to see Alex get a win but come playoff time all I really care about is the 9ers. KC is an after thought for now, especially with us 2 games away.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Was bummed about it at first but now don't curr. Alex did what Alex does and that was good enough for me. Now I can fully focus on the Niners. It was pretty cool having two teams to watch weekly, and would've liked to see Alex get a win but come playoff time all I really care about is the 9ers. KC is an after thought for now, especially with us 2 games away.

Agree with you Jiks. They exceeded my expectations. Now (and always) Go Niners!
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

But there were plays that would have been game changing if Kap didn't screw up...and they were 100% on him.

You obviously didn't watch Alex play in Indy. Or we wouldn't be having this conversation. He looked, in that game, as good as any QB has ever looked.

The cheifs went 9/16 on third down. Wth are you talking about?
Glad Alex is in a good situation.

Glad they lost and we get a better draft position.

GO NINERS!
Jakemall's gotta be related to Alex or something. That doot be getting the major feels.
Alex really played an excellent game without their best player. Very impressive.
Alex was the Chiefs' absolute best option last offseason for QB.
I think he proved that, even though they lost.

Their DC has some 'slpaining to do.
  • dj43
I have been watching pro football since the late '70s. The performance Alex Smith put on yesterday is one of the top 10 I have ever seen. It reminded me of a Charger game when Dan Fouts was playing. IIRC, it was against Cleveland and Kozar in the playoffs. The Chargers had lost their running back. John Jefferson, their top pass receiver had been injured. All Fouts had was Kellen Winslow, and though he became HOF, the Browns doubled him every where he went. The Charger defense was Swiss Cheese and the Browns were scoring every time down the field. Fouts, though getting hammered on almost every play, hung in and kept coming back. Winslow was cramping and became so tired he was operating at about half speed. Still Fouts kept fitting the ball in and moving down the field. Eventually the Chargers lost something like 49-45 but Fouts put on one of the guttiest performances of all time. What Smith did yesterday is on a par with that great Fouts performance, IMO. One of the NFL writers called it spectacular. I agree.

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Glad Alex is in a good situation.

Glad they lost and we get a better draft position.

GO NINERS!

Word.
  • dj43
Originally posted by aTx49er:
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
The best kind of trade is when both sides win. You don't want to trick teams and laugh to the bank.

We'll be working with the Chiefs more often as the years go on imo.

I'm all for it if they work out like the Alex trade, I could do without the bust swaps though.
Still a smart move by both teams IMO. Dumping off waste for for "possible" potential. Hell, look at AJ, he's had a earth shattering year with 5 catches.

Yeah but A Jenkins has a chance to be on the roster next year. Baldwin has been deadman walking for several weeks now......

Why do you suppose Baldwin, though only modestly effective in KC, came to the 49ers and completely disappeared, while AJ Jenkins, though invisible here, went to KC and managed to make at least a few plays?
Originally posted by BrianGO:

It goes back to the whole discussion of "What is he capable of?" -- Well, for those who didn't realize it before, now they really know.

For the 49ers sake, I want CK to consistently start playing elite football so we can stop worrying so much about comparisons, and just focus on the 49ers. Both QB's, compared to the rest of the league, have been very successful and there's a lot to be happy about there.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

The cheifs went 9/16 on third down. Wth are you talking about?

I think the person is referring to the 2011 NFC conference game
  • dj43
Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by KegBert:
I still think the 9ers traded the wrong QB.

With that said, go niners!!! Let's beat Carolina.

Kap has three times as many playoff wins

Demolished GB and set QB all time rushing records

Biggest comeback in NFCCG history

5 yards from pulling off the greatest SB comeback

Wins in frigid GB sleeveless

I LIKE

I still love Kaepernick's potential but a major reason he led such "great comebacks" is because he played poorly prior to that. Yesterday he missed multiple receivers on relatively simple plays. His play recognition, while admittedly combined with Roman's deficiencies, led to another round of horrible time management. 49ers were lucky they didn't need more than the single time out in the second half because they wasted two at inexcusable times. Smith, in the same situation, just calls out a play that will work or at least preserve a time out, and goes on. Kaepernick still lacks the experience to do what Smith does routinely. Even Nick Foles, though having only 2/3 the game experience of Kaepernick, is more adept at getting plays in and run on time.

Smith's performance yesterday, fitting balls into tight windows and pushing it down the field when the opportunity arose, was top notch. He got his team into a huge lead despite having lost his best player, and #2 WR, and working with an OL that was using a backup RT. It wasn't until the defense lost the best defensive player in the league over the first half, and a top cover corner, that the defense fell apart. Smith put on an outstanding performance with a far inferior team around him while Kaepernick struggled to keep the most talented roster in the league in a game they should have won by two touchdowns.

As I said, I still love Kapernick's potential but right now, Alex Smith is still the more capable QB. While everyone is boasting about how CK ran the ball, Alex Smith's running (57 yards) was just as important for KC. CK's big arm is nice but the 49ers don't have a down field threat that really puts his arm in play. On the one deep ball he threw yesterday to Vernon Davis, he, once again threw a line drive instead of putting some air under it to allow Davis to run under the ball. Lot of room for improvement. With a purportedly great QB teacher as HC, he should have better fundamentals than he does, IMO. Let's hope he begins to show those fundamentals and plays to his potential in Carolina. We will need it.
Share 49ersWebzone