There are 191 users in the forums

NFL considering more Thursday football

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SoCold:
Yeah I get it. Teams lose time prior. It's also gained after. It's like saying the two teams who play a sloppy game on Thursday will play great games the following week because they have more time to prepare. Not true at all. Philly got blown out by TB at home on a Sunday then went to Detroit on Thursday and got blown out there.

Not really different from a West Coast team playing a Monday game and having to travel to the east coast for a Sunday game and losing a day to travel. Thursday games are always night games. So the light walk around practices they normally have on a Saturday can happen on Thursday morning. For one week they lose a day and don't get a day off. I don't think it's an excuse.

NFL has played Thursday games every week for the past 4 seasons. This is just about adding more networks to show the games already being played. lol

I am well aware that Thursday games have happened every week for the past 4 seasons. Doesnt change the fact that an overwhelming majority of the time, the games are awful.

It is totally 100% different than a West Coast team playing Monday and having to travel for a Sunday game. Are you serious? There are 5 non game days in between games in your example, where there would be 3 non game days in between games between games for a team playing Sunday and then the very next Thursday. I hate to make assumptions here, but I dont think you have any idea how difficult it is for professional football players to play with such a quick turnaround. Football players typically have trouble moving the day after a game. So now, you really only have 2 days to prepare for the next game, and come back physically ready to play.

I dont think what I am saying is ridiculous in the slightest bit. To expect NFL players to play at peak level with only 3 days between games is asking a lot.
Originally posted by susweel:
Who cares its one week all season they get a few less days. Big f**king whoop they'll be just fine. They know in months advance is gonna be shorter week I'm sure they can manage.

Again, I dont think you understand how much NFL players need to rest their bodies between games.
The NFL is ALL about player safety, and the quality of its product, right?

The solution is clearly more games after 3 days rest.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
They are exposing themselves to having to show an inferior product.

I stopped watching most TNF because the matchups were terrible or a team was still gassed from sunday and looked like crap.

? the first 6 weeks of the season the games were great until we got blown out by Seattle

Yeah there were some good ones. But many games were either one sided or a crappy match-up.

We're talking about the Browns v. Bengals and Titans v. Jags here.

It looks bad for the league. Remember that one year Minn signed Freeman and started him right away. In what was supposed to be a throw away meaningless game to get Freenman reps turned into one of the worst QB performances I've seen.

Just as many s**tty games on sunday. What does it matter what day its played ?

They are featuring it on TNF. If they are going to do that, make sure the games are going to be good at least. I dunno. I guess it doesn't matter.

Right normally no one is going to tune into Ten and Jax if they're not a fan.

There were only 4 blowout games on Thursday this year. Most games were good.
Yeah 4 blow outs and a buncha s**tty match-ups. A few meaningful close games.

It doesn't matter anyways. Its a cash grab and people who live outside their region get a chance to see their team so that is a plus.

do you even nfl?

week 1
Pit 21 NE 28
week 2
Den 31 KC 24
week 3
Was 21 NYG 32
week 4
Bal 23 Pit 20
week 5
Indy 27 Hou 20
week 6
Atl 21 NO 31
week 7
Sea 20 SF 3
week 8
Mia 7 NE 36
week 9
Cle 10 Cin 31
week 10
Buf 22 NYJ 17
week 11
Ten 13 Jax 19
week 12
Phi 14 Lolions 45
Car 33 Dal 14
Chi 17 GB 13
week 13
GB 27 Lolions 23
week 14
Min 20 Arz 23
week 15
TB 23 Rams 31
week 16
SD 20 Oak 23

All but 5 games are div games. So pretty meaningful.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
I love watching football but this is ridiculous.
do you even nfl?

week 1
Pit 21 NE 28
week 2
Den 31 KC 24
week 3
Was 21 NYG 32
week 4
Bal 23 Pit 20
week 5
Indy 27 Hou 20
week 6
Atl 21 NO 31
week 7
Sea 20 SF 3
week 8
Mia 7 NE 36
week 9
Cle 10 Cin 31
week 10
Buf 22 NYJ 17
week 11
Ten 13 Jax 19
week 12
Phi 14 Lolions 45
Car 33 Dal 14
Chi 17 GB 13
week 13
GB 27 Lolions 23
week 14
Min 20 Arz 23
week 15
TB 23 Rams 31
week 16
SD 20 Oak 23

"Meaningful" or not, most of the games this year were almost unwatchable. Just terrible football pretty much all the way around.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
do you even nfl?

week 1
Pit 21 NE 28
week 2
Den 31 KC 24
week 3
Was 21 NYG 32
week 4
Bal 23 Pit 20
week 5
Indy 27 Hou 20
week 6
Atl 21 NO 31
week 7
Sea 20 SF 3
week 8
Mia 7 NE 36
week 9
Cle 10 Cin 31
week 10
Buf 22 NYJ 17
week 11
Ten 13 Jax 19
week 12
Phi 14 Lolions 45
Car 33 Dal 14
Chi 17 GB 13
week 13
GB 27 Lolions 23
week 14
Min 20 Arz 23
week 15
TB 23 Rams 31
week 16
SD 20 Oak 23

"Meaningful" or not, most of the games this year were almost unwatchable. Just terrible football pretty much all the way around.

Did you watch them all? First 6 games of the year were all good. Our game sucked because we did. Some meh blowouts but most were good games.

The GB hail mary game was epic
They are exposing themselves to having to show an inferior product.

I stopped watching most TNF because the matchups were terrible or a team was still gassed from sunday and looked like crap.

? the first 6 weeks of the season the games were great until we got blown out by Seattle

Yeah there were some good ones. But many games were either one sided or a crappy match-up.

We're talking about the Browns v. Bengals and Titans v. Jags here.

It looks bad for the league. Remember that one year Minn signed Freeman and started him right away. In what was supposed to be a throw away meaningless game to get Freenman reps turned into one of the worst QB performances I've seen.

Just as many s**tty games on sunday. What does it matter what day its played ?

They are featuring it on TNF. If they are going to do that, make sure the games are going to be good at least. I dunno. I guess it doesn't matter.

Right normally no one is going to tune into Ten and Jax if they're not a fan.

There were only 4 blowout games on Thursday this year. Most games were good.
Yeah 4 blow outs and a buncha s**tty match-ups. A few meaningful close games.

It doesn't matter anyways. Its a cash grab and people who live outside their region get a chance to see their team so that is a plus.

do you even nfl?

week 1
Pit 21 NE 28
week 2
Den 31 KC 24
week 3
Was 21 NYG 32
week 4
Bal 23 Pit 20
week 5
Indy 27 Hou 20
week 6
Atl 21 NO 31
week 7
Sea 20 SF 3
week 8
Mia 7 NE 36
week 9
Cle 10 Cin 31
week 10
Buf 22 NYJ 17
week 11
Ten 13 Jax 19
week 12
Phi 14 Lolions 45
Car 33 Dal 14
Chi 17 GB 13
week 13
GB 27 Lolions 23
week 14
Min 20 Arz 23
week 15
TB 23 Rams 31
week 16
SD 20 Oak 23

lol yea do you? Are you basing this on scores or did you even watch?

Lots of those games were terrible. The level of play was poor because a lot of players were just gassed or the games just didn't matter.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Feb 1, 2016 at 2:15 PM ]
Did you watch them all? First 6 games of the year were all good. Our game sucked because we did. Some meh blowouts but most were good games.

Not going to speak on game 1. Game 1 is opening night, so no excuses as far as rest and what not goes. It was a pretty good game overall.

Week 2? Sure, score wise it was a good game. But it was sloppy to say the least. Tons of penalties. Tons of unforced turnovers. This was not a good game.

Week 3? LOL. This game was a noncompetitive blowout from start to finish. You cant be serious about this being a good game.

Week 4? This was an ok game, I will give you that. Competitive at least. But these were two abysmal offenses trying to muster up any sort of excitement, yet fell flat. 600 total yards between 2 teams in an overtime game? Its not as if this game was dominated by two great defenses...just two terrible offenses.

Week 5? Good game. No real complaints. Competitive.

Week 6? Non-competitive game.

Week 7? Non-competitive game.

Week 8? Non-competitive game.

Week 9? Non-competitive game.

Week 10? This game wasnt particularly competitive either. Was a 3 score game into the 3rd quarter.

Week 11? This is probably a reflection on the two teams that played, but this game was a snoozefest.

Week 12? Three Thanksgiving games....none of which were memorable. Pretty bad football all the way around.

Week 13? This was an incredible comeback from Green Bay. But this wasnt a very well played football game. The ending made it great and memorable, so I will give you this one.

Week 14? Very competitive game that might have been one of the better ones in this list.

Week 15? Non-competitive game.

Week 16? Incredibly ugly game highlighted by poor play and an insane amount of penalties.

And there was obviously no game in week 17.

So, please explain to me how you can acknowledge there were some "meh blowouts" but also say that "most" were good games? Most of these games were NOT good games. An overwhelming majority of Thursday games feature terrible football.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Feb 1, 2016 at 2:17 PM ]

Not going to speak on game 1. Game 1 is opening night, so no excuses as far as rest and what not goes. It was a pretty good game overall.

Week 2? Sure, score wise it was a good game. But it was sloppy to say the least. Tons of penalties. Tons of unforced turnovers. This was not a good game.

Week 3? LOL. This game was a noncompetitive blowout from start to finish. You cant be serious about this being a good game.

Week 4? This was an ok game, I will give you that. Competitive at least. But these were two abysmal offenses trying to muster up any sort of excitement, yet fell flat. 600 total yards between 2 teams in an overtime game? Its not as if this game was dominated by two great defenses...just two terrible offenses.

Week 10? This game wasnt particularly competitive either. Was a 3 score game into the 3rd quarter.

Week 11? This is probably a reflection on the two teams that played, but this game was a snoozefest.

Week 12? Three Thanksgiving games....none of which were memorable. Pretty bad football all the way around.

Week 13? This was an incredible comeback from Green Bay. But this wasnt a very well played football game. The ending made it great and memorable, so I will give you this one.

Week 14? Very competitive game that might have been one of the better ones in this list.

Week 16? Incredibly ugly game highlighted by poor play and an insane amount of penalties.

So, please explain to me how you can acknowledge there were some "meh blowouts" but also say that "most" were good games? Most of these games were NOT good games.

This. There was a lot of bad football being played. Playing on three days rest is tough. Especially for veterans. And it shows.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Feb 1, 2016 at 2:18 PM ]

Originally posted by RishikeshA:
At the dawn of television in the late 40's and early 50's boxing was huge. It was on almost every night. The ratings went through the roof. Boxers would fight every month so the managers and organized crime could cash in to the point of greed. Well the fight game became over-exposed and popularity waned. Does the NFL think they are immune from that happening to them?

LOL YES
I haven't watched a non-49er Thursday night game (excluding thanksgiving and season opener) in like two years. I just liked it better when Thursday night was college football weekend opener.
Who cares its one week all season they get a few less days. Big f**king whoop they'll be just fine. They know in months advance is gonna be shorter week I'm sure they can manage.

Again, I dont think you understand how much NFL players need to rest their bodies between games.

They have the best equipment for resting and preparing there bodies the world has to offer in most cases IMO. I think they are good to go in most cases.

Reason being, we see players get broken bones, ankle sprains and they are playing the next week with no huge signs of drop off. A player just a little banged up with a few bruises is good to go.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Again I don't really care, they make millions I'm sure they can do it and have doing it for 4 years. An extra day of football is not a bad thing for the fans, if you don't like you don't have to watch just many games on Sunday that we are not able to watch.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

So, please explain to me how you can acknowledge there were some "meh blowouts" but also say that "most" were good games? Most of these games were NOT good games. An overwhelming majority of Thursday games feature terrible football.

Can you give proof those games would have been any better if they were played on sunday. There are just as many s**tty games on Sunday and mnf. The difference is if there even one is very minimal.
Share 49ersWebzone