LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 199 users in the forums

Why isn't Cam Newton dominant anymore?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I watched it too and Cam played well. He had a lot of dropped passes by Olsen in particular that killed drives and averted big gains. Then the fumble by the back at the end really cooked the panthers. Finally, Cam is not being coached by Harbaugh and it shows. He went to the worst team in football with a defensive minded coach to boot. Sounds a lot like Alex Smith

My distant understanding was that Cam went to a team with an actually perfect OC in Chudzinski.

I say perfect, because this allowed Cam to start right away, as Chud was letting cam backyard ball it as he learned. "Run around and chuck it up Air Coryell style, and we will teach you as you go." He also had Chud for back to back seasons, which can really help a young QB in development.
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
What are you talking about? Did you see any backyard balling on Sunday? That's not his game. Love how you act like you know what kind of preparation he puts in.

You need to learn to read before getting all hot and bothered, mmmmkthanxbye?. ^

How much of this refers to Cam specifically? Heck, I can not say. I don't think Cam sucks, nor do I think he's fantastic.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
You need to learn to read before getting all hot and bothered, mmmmkthanxbye?. ^

How much of this refers to Cam specifically? Heck, I can not say. I don't think Cam sucks, nor do I think he's fantastic.

You have used the term "backyard balling" many times in the past to knock QB's who are athletic and explosive. You've used the same term to knock Kaepernick. I can read just fine.
Originally posted by InHarbsWeTrust:
You have used the term "backyard balling" many times in the past to knock QB's who are athletic and explosive. You've used the same term to knock Kaepernick. I can read just fine.

Backyard balling is a way of life these days... and it's had its ups and downs so far too. I think it's a great way for very athletic, strong-armed QBs to get on the field early and learn as they go. If you take that term as an insult, then that's on you and your problem to deal with.
I watched it too and Cam played well. He had a lot of dropped passes by Olsen in particular that killed drives and averted big gains. Then the fumble by the back at the end really cooked the panthers. Finally, Cam is not being coached by Harbaugh and it shows. He went to the worst team in football with a defensive minded coach to boot. Sounds a lot like Alex Smith

My distant understanding was that Cam went to a team with an actually perfect OC in Chudzinski.

I say perfect, because this allowed Cam to start right away, as Chud was letting cam backyard ball it as he learned. "Run around and chuck it up Air Coryell style, and we will teach you as you go." He also had Chud for back to back seasons, which can really help a young QB in development.

I don't know many people saying that going to CAR in 2011 was the perfect situation. I believe it swayed Luck to stay in school as a matter of fact because everyone knew CAR was taking a QB with pick one. Cam ain't Luck but not many QBs would be setting the world on fire out there
I don't know many people saying that going to CAR in 2011 was the perfect situation. I believe it swayed Luck to stay in school as a matter of fact because everyone knew CAR was taking a QB with pick one. Cam ain't Luck but not many QBs would be setting the world on fire out there

Allow me to clean that up.. What I was trying to say is only this.. I feel that year one Cam Newton was a mighty nice match with Chudzinski for the aforementioned reasons.
I think Cam is just fine. Its that offensive line that blows. I know they're stacked up front on defense but Cam has been covering up for how piss poor that offensive line is ever since he got into the league. Teams are doing a better job of making him stay at home now and from what I've seen he has no time.
He has a horrible supporting cast. All he has is Steve Smith which is a shame that he is getting old and somewhat forgotten in this league, his running backs are inconsistent as f**k, his offensive line is suspect and the coaching staff isn't a good fit for him. I think once the inevitable fire of Rivera happens and they give him a good offensive HC, he will show his full potential.
Too early. He was looking pretty good towards the end of last season. This would be something to come back and review around Week 9. But there have been enough reasons mentioned already. Many of the factors working against him he has no control over. For example, the coaching, though he did have OC consistency for the first two years, lack of playmakers around him, o-line, etc. However I will say that he has enough to do a decent job. I'll revisit in October/November.
It's a team sport and eventually the lack of a good supporting team catches up w/everyone.

If you watch the Seattle game, he played well. As some have said, his supporting cast is simply not up to par.

I saw a little bit of the Seattle/Panther game. Cam Newton seemed to play a lot more within the offense. More methodical. I'm sure in his first year, the coaches for the most part just let him go out and 'do his thing' mostly on his athleticism until he mentally catches up with the pro offense. I think this year Newton may be a more consistent player at qb even though his stats may not be the same as a couple of years ago.

I wish I could sit through more of the Seattle/Panther game to get familiar with the 'new' Seadderall Shehawk, but damn that was a boring game
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 12, 2013 at 8:04 AM ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:
He has a horrible supporting cast. All he has is Steve Smith which is a shame that he is getting old and somewhat forgotten in this league, his running backs are inconsistent as f**k, his offensive line is suspect and the coaching staff isn't a good fit for him. I think once the inevitable fire of Rivera happens and they give him a good offensive HC, he will show his full potential.

Greg Olsen is a really good TE. Williams and Stewart are good running backs but aren't used enough because they let Newton run to much.
Carolina

end thread.
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
His supporting cast is much weaker. As well as his coaching. His disposition -- at least how the media portrays it -- isn't as resilient as Kaep's either. And his franchise sucks. So does his uniform. He also doesn't have any tattoos. He complains a lot. I'm hungry.

LOL!!
Share 49ersWebzone