LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 259 users in the forums

Why isn't Cam Newton dominant anymore?

Shop 49ers game tickets
I don't understand it at all. I remember the kid taking the league by storm in his rookie year, in fact, he was the only reason why the Panthers were anything decent. I remember when the 49ers picked Kaepernick about a round after Newton, I was describing him to my friends as a "Poor mans Cam Newton." Haha, oh boy how little did I know, now I would take Kaepernick any day over Newton.

My question is, however, with strikingly similar intangibles to our guy Colin, why isn't Cam Newton dominant like he once was. Are defenses doing something to him that they aren't doing to Kaep? Is he a lot worse than we all realized? Is he trying too hard? Or does his team suck really bad? I honestly have no clue, but I want to see what the WZ thinks. Have at it.
He was dominant at the end of last season...
His supporting cast is much weaker. As well as his coaching. His disposition -- at least how the media portrays it -- isn't as resilient as Kaep's either. And his franchise sucks. So does his uniform. He also doesn't have any tattoos. He complains a lot. I'm hungry.
He was never dominate in my opinion. I think he is a bad QB in general. Take away his size and let him sit back there with his terrible footwork and he being unable to read and recognize a defense is pretty dreadful. Panther fans think he is God down here. Great athlete, Yeah. Is he going to get you a ring? No.
He was never that great. He was always overrated.
He's inconsistent for long stretches. He'll string together a few good games, then he won't play well for the next several weeks. Poor mechanics and decision making. He has great talent and sometimes that translates into a dominant performance, but not as often as he should.
I think you guys all said all that needed to be said. Don't see him being a guy that could ever get you a ring. Not sure he has the drive for it. I think he'd rather entertain then win football games. Not sure even Seahawks fans would take Newton over Kap.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
His 2nd season was decent and actually on par with his 1st, which was vastly overrated. I don't think he'll ever be elite because he's horrible in the clutch and struggles a lot with accuracy - two of the hardest flaws to fix.
I didn't read any of this thread, but good job with the correct use of the word dominant. Well done.
I watched the entire Seahawks-Panthers game and came away impressed with Cam. He played under control, didn't make any mistakes and positioned his team to win at the end. Williams fumbled inside the ten late in the 4th quarter and that was the game. He is becoming a quarterback.

Backyard baller can take you so far... frequently dazzling chuck-stats... but you have to work extremely hard on the mental side of QB-ing. Study lots of film... continue to refine and maintain proper mechanics... remember what you see pre-snap from coverages and how to adapt.. and perhaps most important of all, being a smart decision-maker in moments where you have but only a second to choose. Some just rely and coast on their physical ability... some just don't have what it takes to progress.

How much of this refers to Cam specifically? Heck, I can not say. I don't think Cam sucks, nor do I think he's fantastic. He's just clumped in with a large group of other QBs that are either up-n-coming or have been solid for a while.
Maybe current coaching? Its the Panthers.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
I watched the entire Seahawks-Panthers game and came away impressed with Cam. He played under control, didn't make any mistakes and positioned his team to win at the end. Williams fumbled inside the ten late in the 4th quarter and that was the game. He is becoming a quarterback.
That's the crucial difference between you and the majority of the Zoners, you've seen the guy playing
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
That's the crucial difference between you and the majority of the Zoners, you've seen the guy playing

I watched it too and Cam played well. He had a lot of dropped passes by Olsen in particular that killed drives and averted big gains. Then the fumble by the back at the end really cooked the panthers. Finally, Cam is not being coached by Harbaugh and it shows. He went to the worst team in football with a defensive minded coach to boot. Sounds a lot like Alex Smith
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Backyard baller can take you so far... frequently dazzling chuck-stats... but you have to work extremely hard on the mental side of QB-ing. Study lots of film... continue to refine and maintain proper mechanics... remember what you see pre-snap from coverages and how to adapt.. and perhaps most important of all, being a smart decision-maker in moments where you have but only a second to choose. Some just rely and coast on their physical ability... some just don't have what it takes to progress.

How much of this refers to Cam specifically? Heck, I can not say. I don't think Cam sucks, nor do I think he's fantastic. He's just clumped in with a large group of other QBs that are either up-n-coming or have been solid for a while.

What are you talking about? Did you see any backyard balling on Sunday? That's not his game. Love how you act like you know what kind of preparation he puts in.
Share 49ersWebzone