LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 202 users in the forums

Jeff Garcia: Overrated or Underrated?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Jeff Garcia: Overrated or Underrated?

Originally posted by WINiner:
Duck throwing Garcia never did sh$t before TO and never did sh$t after TO.

He was quite successful in TB and Philly without T.O.

Fail.
Originally posted by Empire49:

Fail.
In 2006 with the Eagles, Garcia had a season QB rating of 95.8. Only one of his seasons with the Niners had a better rating than that. The next season, with Tampa Bay, he had a 94.6 rating which was better than all but two of his SF seasons.

I'm not sure which QB some of you guys were watching during the Garcia years. Garcia knew how to play the game. No, he didn't have a strong arm, but he knew how to play the game. In his best Niners season, he threw for 4278 yards and 31 TD's. 1451 of the yards and 13 of the TD's were Terrell Owens. That means he threw for almost 3000 yards and 18 TD's to OTHER receivers. Give the Garcia hating a rest. He was good.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Da fuq is Taber? Was he NolanHasAPlan from back in the day?

Heh Jordan Taber, real life name, has been banned from nearly every Niners site on the internet. He is famous for finding commonly held beliefs, like BY was one of the all time best niner defensive tackles and then digs up all kinds of skewed stats to prove why that's wrong, all in an attempt to stir up s**t. He has famous TO rants. Still calls him the best WR to ever play hands down. Better than Rice if you can believe that. Claimed based on his ability to overlay TO running the 40 and Michael Johnson running the 100 that TO is one of the fastest athletes of all time...just stupid stuff to stir s**t up. Sometimes he's right, like when he mercilessly bashed Derek Smith, but most the time he is just stirring the pot for a reaction.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Originally posted by Empire49:

Fail.
In 2006 with the Eagles, Garcia had a season QB rating of 95.8. Only one of his seasons with the Niners had a better rating than that. The next season, with Tampa Bay, he had a 94.6 rating which was better than all but two of his SF seasons.

I'm not sure which QB some of you guys were watching during the Garcia years. Garcia knew how to play the game. No, he didn't have a strong arm, but he knew how to play the game. In his best Niners season, he threw for 4278 yards and 31 TD's. 1451 of the yards and 13 of the TD's were Terrell Owens. That means he threw for almost 3000 yards and 18 TD's to OTHER receivers. Give the Garcia hating a rest. He was good.
So successful that both those franchises couldn't wait for him to leave. It's not hard to have a high QB rating when you rarely throw anything farther than 7 yards down the field because you lack the arm strength to do so.

Garcia was NOT that good, couldn't make 1/2 the throws required by an NFL QB, which is why the Niners..then the Browns..then the Bucs let him walk without a fight. Why else did all those franchises let him walk if he was so good. Neither us, nor either of them had anything better waiting in the wings, as history has proven.

Garcia made it difficult to really run the ball effectively unless you had a very good Oline and a special back, cause defenses did not have to defend the long ball, much less the intermediate throws.
[ Edited by WINiner on Jul 11, 2013 at 8:12 PM ]
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Underrated. I didn't appreciate him until the s**t storm that came after his departure.
hurt his back I think in his last year which did not help matters. owens by then was a trainwreck,., we had clueless dickless hopeless erickson on board as well. sigh

And Cedrick Wilson refusing to go down.

2003 was just a year of incompetence all around.

Oh gawd don't bring up 2003. That was about as incompetent as my last attempt at building a thread upon a non-visible pix.
if only walsh discovered him earlier he could of won us a superbowl but he sure as hell did give us some good playoffs years
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

he willed us to win that wild card game. i thought he was great!

Garcia was NOT that good, couldn't make 1/2 the throws required by an NFL QB, which is why the Niners..then the Browns..then the Bucs let him walk without a fight. Why else did all those franchises let him walk if he was so good. Neither us, nor either of them had anything better waiting in the wings, as history has proven.

Again, 4278 yards and 31 touchdown passes. There are lots of NFL QB's who wish they had a season with those numbers. I agree that Garcia had his shortcomings, but come on. He put up some real good numbers and won some good games.
Underrated because he made JaMarcus Russell lose 50 lbs.

Originally posted by JustinNiner:
if only walsh discovered him earlier he could of won us a superbowl but he sure as hell did give us some good playoffs years

Walsh always knew Garcia was a gamer since college. Walsh was the coach of Stanford at the time, and Jeff almost single handedly beat them in a game. Walsh was telling all his buddies in the NFL to take a chance on the kid, even as a UDFA. Nobody did. So when Walsh took a front office position with the 49ers, he brought Jeff in. Walsh probably would have drafted him if he had the chance.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Lol that stuff is actually pretty funny, though slightly disturbing.

Again, 4278 yards and 31 touchdown passes. There are lots of NFL QB's who wish they had a season with those numbers. I agree that Garcia had his shortcomings, but come on. He put up some real good numbers and won some good games.

Very well said. I always thought he got a raw deal. From the bottom of my heart, f**k YOU TERRY DONAHUE...hate that guy
Originally posted by NFLHistorian:
>He is famous for finding commonly held beliefs, like BY was one of the all time best niner defensive tackles and then digs up all kinds of skewed stats to prove why that's wrong, all in an attempt to stir up s**t.

I prove it wrong by actually watching the games, too. Found some old screen shots I took like 9 years ago, too...

http://www.angelfire.com/ar3/footballstuff/by.html

>He has famous TO rants. Still calls him the best WR to ever play hands down.

I think you're starting to make things up in your mind in your advancing age. I don't rate him #1 all-time. I don't even rate him ahead of Randy Moss.

>Claimed based on his ability to overlay TO running the 40 and Michael Johnson running the 100 that TO is one of the fastest athletes of all time...just stupid stuff to stir s**t up.

You are really confused. Michael Johnson?

No, I can gauge his speed by doing something the average fan apparently doesn't know to do - I watch how fast he covers ground, as opposed to watching his legs. I use the rate at which players cover 5/10 yard sections to gauge their speed, because speed = how fast you cover ground. The average fan confuses quickness for speed.

Besides which, Owens has the actual track credentials to back me up. Check his 2001 superstars competition 100 yard sprint.

Sometimes he's right, like when he mercilessly bashed Derek Smith, but most the time he is just stirring the pot for a reaction.

No, when I'm stirring the pot, I make it blatantly obvious.

Riiight which is why you have been banned from every stinking Niners site on the net? Maybe you've grown up some, but based on your most recent posts I doubt it.

BTW nobody is double teamed on EVERY play, so a few screen shots of BY not being double teamed is not in any way shape or form proof he wasn't a stud. Just more Taber skewed logic/stats to stir the pot.
Originally posted by defenderDX:

4:50

im gonna attack his assssss!
Share 49ersWebzone