LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 243 users in the forums

Jeff Garcia: Overrated or Underrated?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Jeff Garcia: Overrated or Underrated?

Underrated. Garcia was a baller. Unfortunately, he didn't get his shot in the NFL until he was 29. By that time, he had a few prime years left before his small stature lead to injuries. He was very productive here in SF. Struggled on some bad Browns and Lions teams, but then played very well with the Eagles and Bucs. He had great instincts, great feet, and could make the short-to-intermediate throws with zip and accuracy. Ideal WCO QB.
Better than Montana
Way Underrated

3 time Pro Bowler with us (4 over all)

4 time CFL All Star -- Grey Cup MVP

Greatest OT comeback (Giants)

Still #15 all time in NFL passer rating

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_rating_career.htm

Took 3 teams to the playoffs -- 49ers, Eagles, Bucs

Over 40,000 yards combined (NFL / CFL) passing

Still holds 49er single season passing yardage record (4278)
[ Edited by wysiwyg on Jul 10, 2013 at 10:54 PM ]
last Bill Walsh hand picked qb
underrated especially look at his size at the position. plain & simple he flat out was a gamer!!
Underrated / I wish we would of kept him more longer back then
He was good enough for me to not care if Terrell Owens was right. That comeback against the Giants is one of my favorite football moments of all time.
Underrated.

Bad defenses and Brett Favre cost him a legitimate shot at a title.
Originally posted by pitseleh:
last Bill Walsh hand picked qb

That alone speaks wonders.

Man, what a genius.

Personally, I never thought Garcia was capable of leading the 49ers to a championship. He had some funky mechanics. Sometimes it seemed as if he'd jump in the air when throwing the ball. As to TO's inference that he was gay, in 2007 Garcia married Carmella DeCesare, Playboy's Playmate of the Year for 2004. They're still married and have 3 children together. Just one more stupid thing that came out of TO's mouth.
Originally posted by RonMexico:
Better than Montana

but not better than alex
Originally posted by GoalLineStand:
Personally, I never thought Garcia was capable of leading the 49ers to a championship. He had some funky mechanics. Sometimes it seemed as if he'd jump in the air when throwing the ball. As to TO's inference that he was gay, in 2007 Garcia married Carmella DeCesare, Playboy's Playmate of the Year for 2004. They're still married and have 3 children together. Just one more stupid thing that came out of TO's mouth.

Agree with the bold. Garcia was a gamer but he wasn't feared when it came to the deep ball. That's a trait most qb's need to when a championship(s). Also that (NY)Giants game comeback, hhuuuge moment in his career & in niners history. It's to bad most think that game came down to a fg when it should've end with an int(that wasn't called, if my memory is correct).
Originally posted by calinig4life:
Agree with the bold. Garcia was a gamer but he wasn't feared when it came to the deep ball. That's a trait most qb's need to when a championship(s). Also that (NY)Giants game comeback, hhuuuge moment in his career & in niners history. It's to bad most think that game came down to a fg when it should've end with an int(that wasn't called, if my memory is correct).

You are correct on the INT that wasn't called. Ahmed Plummer had a pick on that final drive, a few plays before the FG attempt. Refs called it incomplete. It was under 2 minutes, so review has to come from the officials, and they didn't bother. Replays clearly showed Plummer caught the ball and it never hit the ground. Nobody brings it up, but the Giants should have never been in position to kick a game winning FG.
Had there been a better front office and coaches, the organization could have built a team around his skill sets. Instead, they couldn't wait to replace him. Sad days for 49ers fans. Thanks Terry Donahue for your moronic value system, we will never forget your ineptness and how you single handedly brought down a Dynasty.
Share 49ersWebzone