LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

BJ's Bang Bus of Ball Busting

Shop 49ers game tickets
He kind of reminds me of a Russell Wilson type..
Good article about BJ Daniels from the Seahawks Draft Forum:

http://seahawksdraftblog.com/i-think-i-might-have-found-our-late-round-read-option-backup

He's a ripped 218 pounds, sells play action very well and had maybe the best on-field mobility in this draft, not just really fast, but shifty and instinctive. He also displayed a pretty big arm with good throwing mechanics and above average footwork. Other than an ankle injury that cost him a couple games at the end of his final season, he's been injury free despite his run heavy style.

As a four year starter, his career completion rate is just 57.3%. That's disappointingly low, and low completion percentage is one of the more potent negative indicators for a quarterback prospect. Consider this though- and this might blow your mind- Russell Wilson's career completion rate in 3 years at NC State? 57.8%. When Wilson went to a real offense at Wisconsin, his completion rate skyrocketed to 72.8%. His completion rate with the Seahawks was 64.1%.
What little I can find of Daniels, he looks accurate. Could his completion rate be down thanks to a weak supporting cast, similar to Wilson at NC State?

Daniels has a decent career YPA of 7.4 but just a tepid 52-39 TD-INT ratio. That ratio looks quite a bit better though when you factor his 25 career rushing touchdowns.

I'm not saying that Daniels is a surefire star, but I like him a lot. If nothing else he impressed me in limited looks and I don't know if I've ever seen a projected undrafted quarterback with a more impressive highlight reel than this one. His style strikes me as a bit of a blend between Russell Wilson and Cam Newton, though obviously with less mental talent than Wilson and less physical talent than Newton. USF fans speak very highly of Daniels not only as a quarterback, but as a leader and hard worker and I can't help but wonder if good coaching and a great supporting cast might show him to be a hidden gem in this draft.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I am really excited about this guy. Sure, he might be 5'11", but this guy has got skills. It really looks like he has a complete game. He will be great for the read option, but his throws look equally awesome too !! He should be on the roster !!

Your thoughts ?

This dude was pretty much drafted to play with the scout team to mimic Russel Wilson.
Originally posted by Donnies49ers:
Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by KID9R:
I Kind of like him.

love it @ 3:22

That was nasty! He tells that defender to sit down then throws a 15-20 yard pass with some nice touch right on the money.

McCoy and Tolzien need to take notice!! They could both get cut!

I do not see Daniels beating out either one of them. Only way he makes the team is if one of them get hurt.
I was really impressed with Daniels in this interview posted today on CSN Bay Area (link: http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/versatile-daniels-doing-little-everything). Seems to really have great perspective for a rookie coming into the NFL, let alone a top team like the 49ers. He could be a great addition/third-string QB on our team (he's not overtaking McCoy for #2). He's got charisma, seems to have a good work ethic (from how he speaks about it), and he seems like he's a leader-type. Who knows...this type of competition between him and Tolzien is what camp is all about. May the best man win.
Originally posted by Rascal:
I am really excited about this guy. Sure, he might be 5'11", but this guy has got skills. It really looks like he has a complete game. He will be great for the read option, but his throws look equally awesome too !! He should be on the roster !!

Your thoughts ?

What strikes me about this highlight reel is he's making some plays against some good football schools...not just against Davy Crockett St. and such. Check out 3:35 of this...he just tosses aside an oncoming rusher.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
I Kind of like him.

That was nasty! He tells that defender to sit down then throws a 15-20 yard pass with some nice touch right on the money.

I do not see Daniels beating out either one of them. Only way he makes the team is if one of them get hurt.

He could definitely knock off the God king Tolzien. McCoy is the sure fire #2 for now and I think they could PS Tolz if they wanted allowing Daniels to contribute in other areas if necessary. There could be times where the game is pretty much won and instead of subjecting Kaep to unnecessary hits with the option they sub in Daniels to execute the run plays to drown out the clock.
[ Edited by 5280High on Jul 24, 2013 at 2:25 PM ]
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
I Kind of like him.

He will make the team over Tolzien BOOK IT!

He might be our #2 before you know it and McCoy might get dropped. His instincts are way too good.
3:34 says it all!

Originally posted by 9NERNATE:

that was pretty hardcore
Originally posted by 9NERNATE:

I'm really excited to see this dude in preseason. I think he has a good shot to be our #3 QB. He's versatile which Harbs is big on and he would make a nice Russel Wilson (or any mobile QB) lookalike in practice.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
this dude aint gonna be a QB, he's going to be a WR/RB flex
Only the 2nd QB Harbaugh has drafted. Plus he has plenty of time to groom behind Kap and Colt. Don't see why we need tolzien when colt is better. Tolzien has probably peaked whereas BJ potentially offers more. SEA or GB will probably pick up Tolzien as their number 3 to glean some info on our game plan going into week 1 or 2. I hope if we cut him it is before we begin installation for those games.
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Jul 24, 2013 at 5:17 PM ]
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Thechad49:
He kind of reminds me of a Russell Wilson type..

But with a higher upside..
Share 49ersWebzone