LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Rams Hire Rob Ryan as DC

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by GEEK:
I like this move quite a bit.

Chris Long could be very dominant at the 3-4 OLB. If he doesn't work there, they can always move him to the DE position. Remember, Mike Nolan did the same with Justin Smith. They also have Langford, who was successful with the Dolphins as a 3-4 DE, and Brockers, who could rotate with the two and potentially can play some NT.

Laurinatis easily fits as a ILB in the 3-4. Ricky McIntosh could compete with Josh Hull for the other ILB spot unless they can fill the position in Free Agency. Maybe they could go after Larry Grant again?

The biggest shift may be with Jo-Lonn Dunbar. He was outstanding last season, but at 6-0 225 lbs, he doesn't really have the frame to succeed in the 3-4 D. They could net a 3rd or 4th round pick for his services - Jaguars could push hard for him if they stay in the 4-3 defense.

When you look at the draft, if they address their OL needs in free agency (Jake Long at OT) and resign Danny A., I could see them go D with both picks in the 1st round. Jesse Williams at NT with the 1st pick, and Eric Reid at FS with the 2nd pick.

This D will be elite in a couple of years and stacked in nearly every position.

DE: Brockers
NT: Williams*
DE: Langford

OLB: Long
ILB: Laurinitas
ILB: Free Agency Signing
OLB: Quinn

CB: Finnegan
CB: Jenkins
FS: Reid*
SS: Mikell

Agree. A very nice move by the Rams who have a very good defense with a special chance to become elite or tear it apart trying to change it around. We will see.
Originally posted by KegBert:
Exactly. Don't think they would even have to trade up after Lacey and Yeldon ran all over that D. I know that it's not all up to Teo but he didn't look good at all in that game.
One game does not erase all of the previous gametape...
f**k Rob Ryan
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
He's a joke, just like his brother.
  • titan
  • Veteran
We will be seeing an aggressive Rams D next year.
Originally posted by titan:

They were already aggressive this year
49ers approve this message. Rob Ryan is a hack
First, the real problem is Fisher. He's a damn good coach and talent evaluator. They really improved in one season with him at the helm.

2nd, they have drafted well and have 2 first round picks.

3rd, We lucked out. That scumbag Williams would have been a much better D-coordinator than Ryan.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/12/rob-ryan-im-on-a-beach-havent-accepted-rams-job/

I can't stand Rob Ryan, he's an even bigger shi* talker than his brother.

• titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Originally posted by titan:

They were already aggressive this year

Not Rob Ryan aggressive blitzes.
[ Edited by titan on Jan 12, 2013 at 10:18 AM ]
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
First, the real problem is Fisher. He's a damn good coach and talent evaluator. They really improved in one season with him at the helm.

2nd, they have drafted well and have 2 first round picks.

3rd, We lucked out. That scumbag Williams would have been a much better D-coordinator than Ryan.
This year the Rams would have performed better under any HC not named Steve Spagnuolo. Don't overrate Jeff Fisher.

But yes, they have drafted well. That's the difference to Ryan's last stints, especially the Raiders.
Originally posted by GEEK:
I like this move quite a bit.

Chris Long could be very dominant at the 3-4 OLB. If he doesn't work there, they can always move him to the DE position. Remember, Mike Nolan did the same with Justin Smith. They also have Langford, who was successful with the Dolphins as a 3-4 DE, and Brockers, who could rotate with the two and potentially can play some NT.

Laurinatis easily fits as a ILB in the 3-4. Ricky McIntosh could compete with Josh Hull for the other ILB spot unless they can fill the position in Free Agency. Maybe they could go after Larry Grant again?

The biggest shift may be with Jo-Lonn Dunbar. He was outstanding last season, but at 6-0 225 lbs, he doesn't really have the frame to succeed in the 3-4 D. They could net a 3rd or 4th round pick for his services - Jaguars could push hard for him if they stay in the 4-3 defense.

When you look at the draft, if they address their OL needs in free agency (Jake Long at OT) and resign Danny A., I could see them go D with both picks in the 1st round. Jesse Williams at NT with the 1st pick, and Eric Reid at FS with the 2nd pick.

This D will be elite in a couple of years and stacked in nearly every position.

DE: Brockers
NT: Williams*
DE: Langford

OLB: Long
ILB: Laurinitas
ILB: Free Agency Signing
OLB: Quinn

CB: Finnegan
CB: Jenkins
FS: Reid*
SS: Mikell

All valid points.

Although I still feel the adjustment to 3-4 will be slow at first.
Might keep them out of post season contention at least one more season.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:

All valid points.

Although I still feel the adjustment to 3-4 will be slow at first.
Might keep them out of post season contention at least one more season.

That is if they even move to a 3-4 defense. Ryan may have most of his NFL coordinating experience as a 3-4 guy but he has run the 4-3 and is well versed in it. People are jumping the gun assuming a Ryan hire means a move to the 3-4. He could very easily keep the Rams as a 4-3 defense if that is what he and Fisher decide to do should he get the Rams DC gig.

Also one thing never changes on the WZ (not directed at you famus), no matter who a division rival hires as a coach or signs as a player there are always those who see things one way and one way only and look to knock the move and play it down assuming it's a bad move. Any one of our rivals could sign the Pope and there would still be a whole bunch who'd say they wouldn't have a prayer.
That's fine, we owned his Jets D, and we had a hell os a time with the Rams D this season, great moves Rams, thanks for going out and finding a DC we owned!
Share 49ersWebzone