There are 156 users in the forums

Sources: Maurice Jones-Drew open to trade!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • VDSF
  • Veteran
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Maurice Jones-Drew's holdout appears far from over.

His agent, Adisa Bakari, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that the Jacksonville Jaguars running back is upset with owner Shad Khan's recent public comments about his client's 27-day holdout.

In light of Khan's remarks, Jones-Drew is also now open to being traded, sources close to the situation told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

"Maurice wants to play for an organization that wants him and for an owner who respects him and values what he brings to a team -- on the field, in the locker room and in the community," Bakari said.

When asked Tuesday whether he would trade Jones-Drew, Khan said he is "not going to get into all the theses and hypotheses." Khan added that Jones-Drew is "a great player, and we would love for him to be back."

Last week, however, Khan said MJD's absence "doesn't even move the needle" in terms of stress. Khan reiterated his stance Tuesday by saying, "This is not a team about one person."

His message to Jones-Drew?

"Train's leaving the station. Run, get on it," Khan said.

Bakari made it clear that those statements don't sit well with Jacksonville's biggest star.

"Obviously, he's not happy that what started as a very cordial and private conversation is now public and contentious," Bakari said.

Now, with both sides seemingly digging their heels in as deeply as possibly, it is unclear when or if Jones-Drew will show up in Jacksonville. The Jaguars open the season Sept. 9 at Minnesota.

Jones-Drew's holdout is fairly simple. He wants a new deal after leading the NFL with 1,606 yards rushing last season. He has two years remaining on a five-year, front-loaded contract worth $31 million. He is scheduled to make $4.45 million this season and $4.95 million in 2013.

Link...
who would they trade him too? who needs him?

maybe the cardinals?!?
[ Edited by ads_2006 on Aug 21, 2012 at 5:51 PM ]
I respected MJD, but I hate players that want more money when they are already on a contract. It's called a contract for a reason
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
I respected MJD, but I hate players that want more money when they are already on a contract. It's called a contract for a reason

funny....what do you say when organizations cut players early before their "contacts" are done? Its nice that teams still pay these players right...... oh wait.
Originally posted by Afrikan:

funny....what do you say when organizations cut players early before their "contacts" are done? Its nice that teams still pay these players right...... oh wait.

Exactly. A team can cut a player because they dont want to pay them. I hope MJD gets traded or a big deal. Hes going to waste there. Probably my favorite non Niner in the NFL and he's a top 3 RB. Just dont trade him to our division or the Cowboys or Packers.
Awesome player but don't need, also agree with afrikan. Teams are cutthroat as hell. Get the most money you can get especially when you play rb and on a team that depends on you 99% of the time
I could see about 5 to 8 teams that could try to make a play for him with that contract
BRING HIM HOME JED

Exactly!!!if it was just about it bein a contract,why dont the teams honor em then??dont hold it against a guy for lookin out for his own best interests,the team does the exact same thing
[ Edited by VDpwndMjenkins on Aug 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM ]
ehh, already paid 21M for Gore, MJD is getting older, he has what 2 deals total, between rookie and extension. I wouldn't touch it. And I don't think Jacksonville will trade him for less than a 1st or 2nd. MJD is one of the top 5 backs, so no way to get him cheap, then you have to pay him god knows what amount. Might wants Peterson money(90M) or McCoy money(40M+). Rather keep James and Hunter as the future with Gore mentoring him.

I think the best fit for him is Detroit. Imagine him, Megatron, and Stafford on the same team. That would be one potent offense.

Call me crazy but isn't being cut part of the contract?

I just wanted to post.

I dont give two f@cks in the wind eithers way lol
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Call me crazy but isn't being cut part of the contract?

I was all for the players during the NFL holdout but for the owners during the NBA lockout. NFL makes way too much to not offer some money on a player that is cut from his biweekly game check due to injury and/or performance. They just leave these players out to dry.

That being said, an NFL player has to take responsibility in knowing what type of league they are involved with. You get your money, spend what you have to, then save for the day you get cut. In MJD case, I believe his contract was front loaded in order to offer him protection. The Jags complied with his wish up front so honestly there should not be any problems here at the agreed upon backend of the contract. If I give you a $30 mil 5 yr contract with $15 mil in the first 2 years, then I dont want to hear it when you are making $5 mil each of the last 3 years. That is the deal you signed, play and get paid.

It is hypocritical when an organization says honor your contract when they appear not to do the same when they cut you. But in between the fine lines they have honored their end because the contract is never fully guaranteed. Most NFL contracts are incentivised and subject to termination by the owners. That is why if you are a player with clout, you should get your money front loaded and guaranteed which it is my understanding that he did.

Just tote the pill for the remaining $10 mil and go to the highest bidder next contract. It is his only realistic play in the NFL. NBA is a different story
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Amir's uncle don't care.
Share 49ersWebzone