There are 196 users in the forums

NO GRUDEN PLEASE!!!!!!

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Ok...you're against Gruden...but neither of you have said who Jed should hire and why? It's one thing to disagree...it's yet another to come up with a better solution.

I think a lot more has to happen before a HC hire. I don't really see the 49ers turning it around until they get real football people running things. I think a GM hire is most important for long term success. As to who that would be? I have no idea. I'm not familiar with any front office names around the league.

As for HC, I am partial to Harbaugh. I believe he did well developing Josh Johnson and Luck.

I admit I'm not real familiar with Harbaugh's coaching style really, I just see the results he gets. When I think of the 49ers past success, Walsh, he was a teacher. I think that is an important quality in a HC candidate. Nolan and Singletary weren't really teachers, they are "disciplinarians" (unfortunately not in performance). I don't know if Harbaugh fits what I describe... I just like the results he gets given where he has been.
If a HC is a Superbowl winner (not loser), he is good enough to coach my 49ers.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Ok...you're against Gruden...but neither of you have said who Jed should hire and why? It's one thing to disagree...it's yet another to come up with a better solution.

I think a lot more has to happen before a HC hire. I don't really see the 49ers turning it around until they get real football people running things. I think a GM hire is most important for long term success. As to who that would be? I have no idea. I'm not familiar with any front office names around the league.

As for HC, I am partial to Harbaugh. I believe he did well developing Josh Johnson and Luck.

I admit I'm not real familiar with Harbaugh's coaching style really, I just see the results he gets. When I think of the 49ers past success, Walsh, he was a teacher. I think that is an important quality in a HC candidate. Nolan and Singletary weren't really teachers, they are "disciplinarians" (unfortunately not in performance). I don't know if Harbaugh fits what I describe... I just like the results he gets given where he has been.

I'd rather we hire the HC first. That way we know what direction we wanna go in, what philosophy we're gonna implement and hire a GM accordingly. If we hire a GM first and then an HC and they don't see eye to eye on the team philosophy, then we got ourselves a clusterf**k.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
i agree 100% with the title of this thread.

f**k John Gruden!

lucked out winning a Super Bowl with Tony Dungy's great defensive team against a Raider team that was using Gruden's playbook without any changes.

other than that SB, what has Gruden done? nothing!
Originally posted by boast:

f**k John Gruden!

lucked out winning a Super Bowl with Tony Dungy's great defensive team against a Raider team that was using Gruden's playbook without any changes.

he did take an 8-8 team and make it 12-4 for the raiders
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

I'd rather we hire the HC first. That way we know what direction we wanna go in, what philosophy we're gonna implement and hire a GM accordingly. If we hire a GM first and then an HC and they don't see eye to eye on the team philosophy, then we got ourselves a clusterf**k.

Probably a case to have the HC/GM be the same person, although I don't think that works well very often. The problem with your method... I'm reminded of the whole Nolan-McCloughan thing. They are limited in selection to those that favor whoever the HC is and that philosophy. I just think a good GM is more important for long term success. Head coaches with long stints is quickly becoming a rarity.
  • evil
  • Veteran

f**k John Gruden!

Turned the Raiders into contenders. Transformed Rich Gannon into a Pro Bowler
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

f**k John Gruden!

he did take an 8-8 team and make it 12-4 for the raiders

That was a 4-12 team not an 8-8 team he took over.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Your right! I dont have a better solution but I'm not jumping on the first bandwagon I see on MNF.. When I look and consider and see a great potential candidate I'll post it.....
[ Edited by D-NOTTE on Dec 7, 2010 at 8:01 AM ]

f**k John Gruden!

"In 1990, Gruden's father Jim set up an interview with Mike Holmgren, who was the offensive coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers. Gruden impressed Holmgren with his knowledge of the game for such a young man. Holmgren hired Gruden as one of the first quality control coaches in the NFL.

He quickly ascended through the ranks of NFL coaching by learning the famous West Coast offense pioneered by longtime NFL coach Bill Walsh. When Holmgren left the 49ers to become head coach of the Green Bay Packers in 1992, he took the promising young Gruden with him to become the team's wide receivers coach.

After three seasons in Green Bay, Gruden moved on to become the offensive coordinator of the Philadelphia Eagles under former Packers assistant coach Ray Rhodes.

Gruden then was chosen by the owner and general manager of the Oakland Raiders, Al Davis, to be the Raiders' new head coach for the 1998 season."--Wiki info (Hey, don't shoot the messenger and it's viable info even if it is from Wiki)

Before Tampa, he accomplished a great deal Boast especially in his knowledge of an NFL organization's heirarchy, business practices, and coaching/player relationships--He's an NFL experienced HC with an incredible background in the WCO.

He compiled a 40–28 win-loss record (including playoffs) in four seasons with the Raiders with Al nipping at him all the way to the point that Al eventually got rid of him.

That's the record I focus on because Gruden built that Oakland team from the ground up.

We need that...desperately.

So why not Gruden, Boast? Just curious?
I agree whit you....but i prefer Cowher....for now...
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninertico:

f**k John Gruden!

"In 1990, Gruden's father Jim set up an interview with Mike Holmgren, who was the offensive coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers. Gruden impressed Holmgren with his knowledge of the game for such a young man. Holmgren hired Gruden as one of the first quality control coaches in the NFL.

He quickly ascended through the ranks of NFL coaching by learning the famous West Coast offense pioneered by longtime NFL coach Bill Walsh. When Holmgren left the 49ers to become head coach of the Green Bay Packers in 1992, he took the promising young Gruden with him to become the team's wide receivers coach.

After three seasons in Green Bay, Gruden moved on to become the offensive coordinator of the Philadelphia Eagles under former Packers assistant coach Ray Rhodes.

Gruden then was chosen by the owner and general manager of the Oakland Raiders, Al Davis, to be the Raiders' new head coach for the 1998 season."--Wiki info (Hey, don't shoot the messenger and it's viable info even if it is from Wiki)

Before Tampa, he accomplished a great deal Boast especially in his knowledge of an NFL organization's heirarchy, business practices, and coaching/player relationships--He's an NFL experienced HC with an incredible background in the WCO.

He compiled a 40–28 win-loss record (including playoffs) in four seasons with the Raiders with Al nipping at him all the way to the point that Al eventually got rid of him.

That's the record I focus on because Gruden built that Oakland team from the ground up.

We need that...desperately.

So why not Gruden, Boast? Just curious?

During Gruden's year here, he spent a lot of his free time going through Bill Walsh's video library studying, learning & taking notes of Walsh's offense and teachings.

His desire to be a QB's coach in the NFL is also why Holmgren sent him to Pittsburgh because he had no spot for him on staff, so he hooked Gruden up with an interview to be the QB's coach under Paul Hackett.
lets not get it twisted that Tampa team was a team that was in their prime.....a close to 40 year old Brad Johnson, and most others were aging, and were upcoming free agents. Gruden had to play musical QBs to find the right fit.
Originally posted by PERUVIAN49ERS:
I agree whit you....but i prefer Cowher....for now...

We could make the same argument for Cowher... He had several enept seasons before he won one... The Steelers were not a contender a lot of years.. He was there for how many years before he won one.. I just remembered him being the longest tenured coach and people screaming for him to be fired before Big Ben came... He not Cowher made the difference.. Ben went 15 straight or something like that his rookie year then one the SB the next year. So do you Credit Cowher or a geat QB
Share 49ersWebzone