There are 223 users in the forums

Willis vs Revis

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by nicedraw94080:
Please name 1 DB that has led its team or franchise to a Super Bowl ?

None.case closed.

What MLB led his team to a SB ? Ray Lewis ? Let's not overlook that the 2000 Ravens had a very strong running game and a load of talent on defense. Lewis might have been the heart and soul but he did not single handedly lead that team to winning the Super Bowl.

For starters, these guys led their teams to multiple Super Bowls as leaders of their teams..

Lawrence Taylor
Jack Lambert
Ray Nitschke
Mike Singletary
Roy Winston
Ted Hendricks

Then of course u well know these LB's that got their teams in the playoffs or a Super Bowl being a LB...

Dick Butkus
Junior Seau
Derrick Thomas
Brian Urlacher
Willy Lanier

Child please!
  • evil
  • Veteran
Please name 1 DB that has led its team or franchise to a Super Bowl ?

None.case closed.

What MLB led his team to a SB ? Ray Lewis ? Let's not overlook that the 2000 Ravens had a very strong running game and a load of talent on defense. Lewis might have been the heart and soul but he did not single handedly lead that team to winning the Super Bowl.

For starters, these guys led their teams to multiple Super Bowls as leaders of their teams..

Lawrence Taylor
Jack Lambert
Ray Nitschke
Mike Singletary
Roy Winston
Ted Hendricks

Then of course u well know these LB's that got their teams in the playoffs or a Super Bowl being a LB...

Dick Butkus
Junior Seau
Derrick Thomas
Brian Urlacher
Willy Lanier

Child please!

OK Since you are talking about leaders who led their teams to SB or to the playoffs, I'll list off some corner's who have done the same

Asante Samuel with the Pats
Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown with the Eagles
Ronde Barber with the Bucs
Rod Woodson with the Steelers
Mel Blount with the Steelers
Deion Sanders with the 49ers
Ronnie Lott with the 49ers
Lester Hayes with the Raiders
Dick Lane with the Lions
Champ Bailey with the Broncos

Not one guy you listed and we can include Ray Lewis is single handedly responsible for getting his team to the playoffs or winning them a Super Bowl. Some mentioned like Ray Lewis and Mike Singletary played on 2 of the greatest defensive teams ever.

Now kiss da baby!
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by Janitor:
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
its hard to say, because of homerism. That said, King has become a Jets homer recently...

A shutdown CB is more valuable, and probably harder to come by than really good ILB. But PWilly isn't a "really good" ILB, he's a f**king great ILB, and he has been every single year he's been in the league. When you add in that he's a leader on the team, and the kind of player that has an effect on both the running game and the passing game, IDK, it would be hard to pass him up.

I'm a homer, whatever, but Patrick Willis is a special player.

Yeah, need to see some consistency from Revis too.

HessianDud nailed it.

Let's not forget character. Who is leading his team right now and who hasn't been in uniform since January?

Revis is overrated IMO. He got a lot of publicity, but was actually not the best CB in the league last year statistically. Nor did he win the DMVP. He get's a lot of talk because he's a jet and all the jets do is talk.

And when was the last time Peter King said anything positive about the 49ers? What an ass.

Lockdown corners are not going to be the best corner statistically. Teams avoid them for a reason. If teams aren't throwing the ball in your direction then it's going to be hard to rack up INT's, tackles and force fumbles.

Champ Bailey was a great lookdown corner for Washington and Denver during his prime, and in 11 seasons he has only picked off more than 3 passes in a year 4 times. He only has 2 seasons which he had more than 5 interceptions. He has never won a DPOY award, but that doesn't take away from his importance to his team or the fact that he was the best corner in the game by far and large for years.

This comment from King has NOTHING to do with hating on the 49ers.

This is exactly what I mean. Nnamdi Asomugha as fewer throws in his direction than any other CB in the league.

if Asomugha played in New York, or New England, he would be considered the best CB in the league.

He would be targeted alot more if he played in a system that required as much man on man coverage as NE or NY does. You also have to consider that Oakland was dead last in pass attempts against them by 46 passes. When people say teams can beat you while completely avoiding a shutdown corner Oakland is the number 1 example. Aso had 28 passes go his way all season long. Compare that to 111 in Revis's way.

Revis was the best corner last season bar none. He shut down every receiver that went up against him. Teams targeted him and never came close to beating him. 75% of passes that went Aso's way were completed. You compare their stats and Revis only gave up 1 more TD, 20 more catches, and less than 200 yards despite actually being challenged by the game's best receivers.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Aug 21, 2010 at 12:57:51 ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:
its hard to say, because of homerism. That said, King has become a Jets homer recently...

A shutdown CB is more valuable, and probably harder to come by than really good ILB. But PWilly isn't a "really good" ILB, he's a f**king great ILB, and he has been every single year he's been in the league. When you add in that he's a leader on the team, and the kind of player that has an effect on both the running game and the passing game, IDK, it would be hard to pass him up.

HessianDud nailed it.

Let's not forget character. Who is leading his team right now and who hasn't been in uniform since January?

Revis is overrated IMO. He got a lot of publicity, but was actually not the best CB in the league last year statistically. Nor did he win the DMVP. He get's a lot of talk because he's a jet and all the jets do is talk.

And when was the last time Peter King said anything positive about the 49ers? What an ass.

Lockdown corners are not going to be the best corner statistically. Teams avoid them for a reason. If teams aren't throwing the ball in your direction then it's going to be hard to rack up INT's, tackles and force fumbles.

Champ Bailey was a great lookdown corner for Washington and Denver during his prime, and in 11 seasons he has only picked off more than 3 passes in a year 4 times. He only has 2 seasons which he had more than 5 interceptions. He has never won a DPOY award, but that doesn't take away from his importance to his team or the fact that he was the best corner in the game by far and large for years.

This is exactly what I mean. Nnamdi Asomugha as fewer throws in his direction than any other CB in the league.

if Asomugha played in New York, or New England, he would be considered the best CB in the league.

He would be targeted alot more if he played in a system that required as much man on man coverage as NE or NY does. You also have to consider that Oakland was dead last in pass attempts against them by 46 passes. When people say teams can beat you while completely avoiding a shutdown corner Oakland is the number 1 example. Aso had 28 passes go his way all season long. Compare that to 111 in Revis's way.

Revis was the best corner last season bar none. He shut down every receiver that went up against him. Teams targeted him and never came close to beating him. 75% of passes that went Aso's way were completed. You compare their stats and Revis only gave up 1 more TD, 20 more catches, and less than 200 yards despite actually being challenged by the game's best receivers.

good points. i still think that if Asomugha played on a east coast team he'd be getting similar props from the media that Revis gets. That's nothing against Revis, I do think he's a great player, but Asomugha plays on a s**t team that hasn't been relevant for a long time and he's been one of the better defenders in the league during that time. Revis has had one transcendent year that I doubt he'll ever truly duplicate, though I imagine he will continue to be one of, if not the best, defenders in the league.

But PWilly is the kind of player that can be the face of the franchise.

HessianDud nailed it.

good points. i still think that if Asomugha played on a east coast team he'd be getting similar props from the media that Revis gets. That's nothing against Revis, I do think he's a great player, but Asomugha plays on a s**t team that hasn't been relevant for a long time and he's been one of the better defenders in the league during that time. Revis has had one transcendent year that I doubt he'll ever truly duplicate, though I imagine he will continue to be one of, if not the best, defenders in the league.

I agree with your points on Aso, but Revis is only 3 years into his career. Cornerbacks take time to develop and Revis did have an outstanding season in 08 as well. It just went under the radar. His SYPA (success percentage yards per attempt) was a 2.0 which was 6th in the NFL.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Aug 21, 2010 at 13:11:50 ]

HessianDud nailed it.

I agree with your points on Aso, but Revis is only 3 years into his career. Cornerbacks take time to develop and Revis did have an outstanding season in 08 as well. It just went under the radar. His SYPA (success percentage yards per attempt) was a 2.0 which was 6th in the NFL.

it'll be interested to see how he continue to develops. CB is really the hardest position to quantify success, especially year to year.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews

HessianDud nailed it.

it'll be interested to see how he continue to develops. CB is really the hardest position to quantify success, especially year to year.

Yeah that's true. A lot of good points in this discussion. I think it's one of those "What if" situations you really can't ever have an answer for.

HessianDud nailed it.

Yeah that's true. A lot of good points in this discussion. I think it's one of those "What if" situations you really can't ever have an answer for.

agreed. knowing what we know, today, I still think that if you had the either/or choice of Willis or Revis--and you're building a team from scratch--you'd have to take Willis. if you're a middle-of-the-pack team, or an established contender, with that choice, you probably take Revis.

HessianDud nailed it.

agreed. knowing what we know, today, I still think that if you had the either/or choice of Willis or Revis--and you're building a team from scratch--you'd have to take Willis. if you're a middle-of-the-pack team, or an established contender, with that choice, you probably take Revis.

of course, its all academic anyway, and, in any event, I don't think either choice would be wrong.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Posted a poll on a football forum/non 49er site....

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2265829

Thus far ....

Revis - 30 votes (69.77%)
Willis - 13 votes (30.23%)

Thus far ....

I'm not surprised, I think on any other site except a 49ers site, you'd get that same result.

-9fA
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Thus far ....

I'm not surprised, I think on any other site except a 49ers site, you'd get that same result.

-9fA

I am not either...but I am anxious to see the reaction by some WZ'ers to some of the comments made by the posters on DC.

Thus far ....

-9fA

I am not either...but I am anxious to see the reaction by some WZ'ers to some of the comments made by the posters on DC.

You mean like this one
Quote:
I'd take Revis but I'd take Jared Allen or DeMarcus Ware over either one. Frankly I'd take Albert Haynesworth, Kevin Williams and a whole host of defensive lineman over either one, but between those two I take Revis.

Ridiculous.
Originally posted by pantstickle:

Thus far ....

-9fA

You mean like this one
Quote:
I'd take Revis but I'd take Jared Allen or DeMarcus Ware over either one. Frankly I'd take Albert Haynesworth, Kevin Williams and a whole host of defensive lineman over either one, but between those two I take Revis.

Ridiculous.

Granted, that was a stupid comment.

However, it's almost universally agreed that CB is a more valued position than inside LB. It's a passing league.

-9fA
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pantstickle:

Thus far ....

-9fA

You mean like this one
Quote:

Ridiculous.

Like this :

Quote:
See, the choice would be a lot closer if Willis was a more complete player. You can absolutely argue that the more disciplined and better playcalling Jon Beason is right on par overall with Willis, just not in the facets of the game that Willis excels at.

Let's not pretend that Willis does everything perfectly. He doesn't.

and

Quote:
Willis is overrated, Tackles aren't even a official stat

Let's just say WZ'ers are not going to digest people talking about Willis like that. If that comment was made on this site, you'd be handing out warnings until your blue in the face.
Share 49ersWebzone