There are 219 users in the forums

Willis vs Revis

Shop 49ers game tickets
its hard to say, because of homerism. That said, King has become a Jets homer recently...

A shutdown CB is more valuable, and probably harder to come by than really good ILB. But PWilly isn't a "really good" ILB, he's a f**king great ILB, and he has been every single year he's been in the league. When you add in that he's a leader on the team, and the kind of player that has an effect on both the running game and the passing game, IDK, it would be hard to pass him up.

I'm a homer, whatever, but Patrick Willis is a special player.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
its hard to say, because of homerism. That said, King has become a Jets homer recently...

A shutdown CB is more valuable, and probably harder to come by than really good ILB. But PWilly isn't a "really good" ILB, he's a f**king great ILB, and he has been every single year he's been in the league. When you add in that he's a leader on the team, and the kind of player that has an effect on both the running game and the passing game, IDK, it would be hard to pass him up.

Yeah, need to see some consistency from Revis too.
lets also not forget...

who's in camp and who isn't...
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
I'm sure you guys remember Deion Sanders when he played for the Niners in '94. He pretty much allowed the defense to play 3/4 of the field.

Another example is Ray Lewis. When he didn't have Tony Siragusa and Sam Adams in front of him, he struggled. His position is dependent on the big ugglies in front of him.

Sorry to be a non-homer, but a shutdown cornerback is more important than a great ILB in the defensive scheme. That is also reflective on the amount of money that the best in each position makes.

Patrick Willis, ILB, 2010: $5,185,000
Ray Lewis, ILB, 2009: $10,000,000

Champ Bailey, CB, 2010: $13,000,000
Nnamdi Asamougha, CB, 2010: $15,000,000 (3 year average)

CB>ILB

Correct Darth.

Anyone saying King is an idiot for taking Revis over Willis is clearly wearing his blinders. The only position on defense you take over a shut down corner is an elite pass rusher.

I'd take Revis everyday all day and twice on Sunday's as well.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:

HessianDud nailed it.

Let's not forget character. Who is leading his team right now and who hasn't been in uniform since January?

Revis is overrated IMO. He got a lot of publicity, but was actually not the best CB in the league last year statistically. Nor did he win the DMVP. He get's a lot of talk because he's a jet and all the jets do is talk.

And when was the last time Peter King said anything positive about the 49ers? What an ass.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Janitor:

HessianDud nailed it.

Let's not forget character. Who is leading his team right now and who hasn't been in uniform since January?

Revis is overrated IMO. He got a lot of publicity, but was actually not the best CB in the league last year statistically. Nor did he win the DMVP. He get's a lot of talk because he's a jet and all the jets do is talk.

And when was the last time Peter King said anything positive about the 49ers? What an ass.

Lockdown corners are not going to be the best corner statistically. Teams avoid them for a reason. If teams aren't throwing the ball in your direction then it's going to be hard to rack up INT's, tackles and force fumbles.

Champ Bailey was a great lookdown corner for Washington and Denver during his prime, and in 11 seasons he has only picked off more than 3 passes in a year 4 times. He only has 2 seasons which he had more than 5 interceptions. He has never won a DPOY award, but that doesn't take away from his importance to his team or the fact that he was the best corner in the game by far and large for years.

This comment from King has NOTHING to do with hating on the 49ers.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by KRS-1:

HessianDud nailed it.

Lockdown corners are not going to be the best corner statistically. Teams avoid them for a reason. If teams aren't throwing the ball in your direction then it's going to be hard to rack up INT's, tackles and force fumbles.

Champ Bailey was a great lookdown corner for Washington and Denver during his prime, and in 11 seasons he has only picked off more than 3 passes in a year 4 times. He only has 2 seasons which he had more than 5 interceptions. He has never won a DPOY award, but that doesn't take away from his importance to his team or the fact that he was the best corner in the game by far and large for years.

This is exactly what I mean. Nnamdi Asomugha as fewer throws in his direction than any other CB in the league.
Please name 1 DB that has led its team or franchise to a Super Bowl ?

None.case closed.
I'm sure you guys remember Deion Sanders when he played for the Niners in '94. He pretty much allowed the defense to play 3/4 of the field.

Another example is Ray Lewis. When he didn't have Tony Siragusa and Sam Adams in front of him, he struggled. His position is dependent on the big ugglies in front of him.

Sorry to be a non-homer, but a shutdown cornerback is more important than a great ILB in the defensive scheme. That is also reflective on the amount of money that the best in each position makes.

CB>ILB

Correct Darth.

Anyone saying King is an idiot for taking Revis over Willis is clearly wearing his blinders. The only position on defense you take over a shut down corner is an elite pass rusher.

Not me, as explained above. Why? Because I KNOW that PW is consistently dominant, whereas I think Revis has yet to achieve that same level of consistency.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nicedraw94080:
Please name 1 DB that has led its team or franchise to a Super Bowl ?

None.case closed.

What MLB led his team to a SB ? Ray Lewis ? Let's not overlook that the 2000 Ravens had a very strong running game and a load of talent on defense. Lewis might have been the heart and soul but he did not single handedly lead that team to winning the Super Bowl.

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

CB>ILB

Correct Darth.

Not me, as explained above. Why? Because I KNOW that PW is consistently dominant, whereas I think Revis has yet to achieve that same level of consistency.

He became dominant in year 2, but the difference is Willis plays a position where the transition at the pro level is not as hard as it is for a corner.
I would rather have Willis. The importance of a DB is not more then ILB. If that were the case, Deion Sanders would have led the Falcons to the super Bowl. He didn't even lead them to the playoffs there.

Ray Lewis lead his team to the Super Bowl and got the super bowl MVP. Corners get all the hype, but ILBs do all the dirty work. Give me P.Willy thrice on Sunday.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
I would rather have Willis. The importance of a DB is not more then ILB. If that were the case, Deion Sanders would have led the Falcons to the super Bowl. He didn't even lead them to the playoffs there.

Ray Lewis lead his team to the Super Bowl and got the super bowl MVP. Corners get all the hype, but ILBs do all the dirty work. Give me P.Willy thrice on Sunday.

Only 2 LB'ers in the history of the NFL have won SB MVP's. DB's have won the award 3 times. The award generally goes to a QB,RB or WR.

And Lewis did not single handedly win that game for the Ravens.
What Revis did last year was real nice but i'd take scrabble over him. Scrabble has put up ridiculous numbers and is the real shut down CB.

HessianDud nailed it.

This is exactly what I mean. Nnamdi Asomugha as fewer throws in his direction than any other CB in the league.

if Asomugha played in New York, or New England, he would be considered the best CB in the league.
Share 49ersWebzone