There are 228 users in the forums

Jermichael Finley versus

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • dj43
About the half way point of this past season, in a Vernon Davis thread, I suggested that Jermichael Finley was a better all-round TE than our own guy. My suggestion was that, with the exception of blocking, Finley was a better player: Better route runner, better hands, more athletic, reads defenses better, nearly as fast as Davis. Of course, I expected, and got, a lot of heat it for saying that.

Now I am not coming back to boast too much about my prior observation, just to say that Finley earned the kind of reputation from yesterday's performance that is going to make it harder for Davis to go back to the Pro Bowl next year. Close observers around the league have been saying since early in the season, that Finley is one of the next wave of young stars who would make their name well known soon. Though he missed four games during the season, and shared the ball with other good receiver at GB, he still put up some very nice numbers during the season, and certainly made those early prognosticators look good with the way he finished the season. Yesterday was no fluke.

So maybe you can say you heard it here first: Jermichael Finley is one of the elite TEs in the game.

Here's to the 'zone.
cool
Who gives a flying f**k? Jermichael Finley can suck off a camel for all I care.
Why do people always have a need to compare others players to ours? Who gives a f**k about Finley?
Finley is a bad ass, but really, who cares. Also, Manning is better than A.Smith!!! Go figure.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by teeohh:
cool
55 catches for 676 yards and 5 TDS

vs

78 catches 965 yards and 13 TDS
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Finley has absolutely nothing on Vernon Davis.

Finley has Aaron Rodgers throwing to him.
Originally posted by valrod33:

vs

+

Aaron Rodgers throwing to Finley

vs

Hill/Smith throwing to VD
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crzy:
Finley has absolutely nothing on Vernon Davis.

Finley has Aaron Rodgers throwing to him.

but.... some people would rather have alex smith.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=136503

Davis is a better all round TE IMO. If I need a TE to block, I'll put in Davis 10 out of 10 times.

Finley is a better version of Walker.

-9fA
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:

vs

+

Aaron Rodgers throwing to Finley

vs

Hill/Smith throwing to VD

not to mention a much better o coordinator
Finley looks great and like someone said he is a better version of Walker. I do agree that he is a better route runner and has better hands but he gets put in better situations than Davis and they go to him. We learned this year how to use davis more but he haven't taken advantage of the mismatches at times. If Vernon can learn how to not drop the ball that much and stop getting false starts then he would be the best TE but until that he is will not be a top 3 TE. Top 5 yes but not the best unless he fixes those problems.
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Who gives a flying f**k? Jermichael Finley can suck off a camel for all I care.
  • dj43

vs

I don't REALLY care much either about who ELSE is good around the league, from a 49er perspective. However, the 49er games are not the only NFL games I watch. I enjoy watching other games and appreciating other talented players and good teams. I find it not only enjoyable, but it helps me better appreciate, and critique, the 49ers.

The point about Davis, AT THE TIME THE PRIOR THREAD WAS RUNNING, was that Davis was VERY over-rated on this board, in comparison to other players around the league. He is very good, but is the difference between his blocking ability and Billy Bajema, worth a #6 overall versus a FA? There are 5 or 6 other TEs in the league that are more reliable pass catchers than Davis - numbers not withstanding. Davis was the ONLY target for Hill/Smith most of the year. While that can be a double-edged sword, it also means his numbers were inflated in comparison to others who read defenses better, don't false start and don't drop passes.

As to the numbers, Finley was off to a great start, made some amazing catches, and then was out injured for four games. Davis was healthy the entire season. Also, Finley has to share the ball with three very good wideouts.

Davis IS a better blocker, that is not in question. But in every other category, Finley is better.

For now, I am just going to appreciate Finley and hope Davis has a much better season next fall.
Share 49ersWebzone