LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

Jermichael Finley versus

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by dj43:
About the half way point of this past season, in a Vernon Davis thread, I suggested that Jermichael Finley was a better all-round TE than our own guy. My suggestion was that, with the exception of blocking, Finley was a better player: Better route runner, better hands, more athletic, reads defenses better, nearly as fast as Davis. Of course, I expected, and got, a lot of heat it for saying that.

Now I am not coming back to boast too much about my prior observation, just to say that Finley earned the kind of reputation from yesterday's performance that is going to make it harder for Davis to go back to the Pro Bowl next year. Close observers around the league have been saying since early in the season, that Finley is one of the next wave of young stars who would make their name well known soon. Though he missed four games during the season, and shared the ball with other good receiver at GB, he still put up some very nice numbers during the season, and certainly made those early prognosticators look good with the way he finished the season. Yesterday was no fluke.

So maybe you can say you heard it here first: Jermichael Finley is one of the elite TEs in the game.

Here's to the 'zone.

I think statistics largely dictate the outcome of comparing Vernon Davis to Jermichael Finley.

Vernon Davis, while having superior numbers, was targeted 116 times over sixteen games for an average of 7.25 throws per game. Jermichael Finley was targeted 71 times over thirteen games for an average of 4.5 throws per game. Prorated over sixteen games based on targets, Davis' still comes out statistically superior.

Finley also lacks severely in blocking, which reduces his roll significantly on first and second downs. In this way, Donald Lee saw significant snaps throughout the season. Vernon Davis doesn't share snaps and doesn't take plays off.

The final issue is Finley's down field speed. While his YPC is inline with Davis', Finley doesn't have the vertical speed Davis does. His 4.66 40 yard dash at the 2007 combine proves this.

I think most of the NFL already knew Finley's abilities are indeed special. His negatives (blocking, experience) have been largely masked by other positives (route running, hands). He most reminds me of Shannon Sharpe; dominating physical presence with above average hands and speed, but lacking in blocking technique and wide receiver speed. He should be a good one, assuming he keeps healthy.

great analysis, IMO hits the nail on the head....and proves MY point that i would rather have Finley. For a TE, and with a young Qb like Alex, reliability is crucial, and VD may never be reliable, ala Gonzalez, Gates, SS...and Finley has the potential to be just that.
VD is faster and better at blocking, otherwise Finely is better! He made some GREAT Catches last night

VD just had the best season for a TE in 49ers history and people here are tearing him down. I don't get it.
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Thorhawk:

VD just had the best season for a TE in 49ers history and people here are tearing him down. I don't get it.

grass is always greener i guess
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

If Alex Smith and Mike Singletary take the 49ers to the super bowl and win it, people would still be calling Smith a bust, and Singletary to be fired for a guy like Pete Carroll.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
About the half way point of this past season, in a Vernon Davis thread, I suggested that Jermichael Finley was a better all-round TE than our own guy. My suggestion was that, with the exception of blocking, Finley was a better player: Better route runner, better hands, more athletic, reads defenses better, nearly as fast as Davis. Of course, I expected, and got, a lot of heat it for saying that.

Now I am not coming back to boast too much about my prior observation, just to say that Finley earned the kind of reputation from yesterday's performance that is going to make it harder for Davis to go back to the Pro Bowl next year. Close observers around the league have been saying since early in the season, that Finley is one of the next wave of young stars who would make their name well known soon. Though he missed four games during the season, and shared the ball with other good receiver at GB, he still put up some very nice numbers during the season, and certainly made those early prognosticators look good with the way he finished the season. Yesterday was no fluke.

So maybe you can say you heard it here first: Jermichael Finley is one of the elite TEs in the game.

Here's to the 'zone.

More athletic?? I don't see Finley outjumping and outrunning safeties and linebackers on 40 yard passes..
and Rodgers > Smith...

[ Edited by ImaMod on Jan 11, 2010 at 16:55:59 ]
  • dj43
Originally posted by ImaMod:

Here's to the 'zone.

More athletic?? I don't see Finley outjumping and outrunning safeties and linebackers on 40 yard passes..
and Rodgers > Smith...
I have seen Finley outjumping safeties and outrunning linebackers.

I have also seen him make twisting catches that Davis just can't make. Davis just doesn't have that kind of athleticism. He is faster in straight line speed but doesn't have the ability to quickly adjust his route like Finley.

Davis is a very good TE, and he just had the best STATISTICAL year of any 49er tight end in history, but I would take Brent Jones or John Frank ahead of Vernon Davis as being more complete TEs and better critical targets for the QB.
  • dj43

Here's to the 'zone.

I think statistics largely dictate the outcome of comparing Vernon Davis to Jermichael Finley.

Vernon Davis, while having superior numbers, was targeted 116 times over sixteen games for an average of 7.25 throws per game. Jermichael Finley was targeted 71 times over thirteen games for an average of 4.5 throws per game. Prorated over sixteen games based on targets, Davis' still comes out statistically superior.

Finley also lacks severely in blocking, which reduces his roll significantly on first and second downs. In this way, Donald Lee saw significant snaps throughout the season. Vernon Davis doesn't share snaps and doesn't take plays off.

The final issue is Finley's down field speed. While his YPC is inline with Davis', Finley doesn't have the vertical speed Davis does. His 4.66 40 yard dash at the 2007 combine proves this.

I think most of the NFL already knew Finley's abilities are indeed special. His negatives (blocking, experience) have been largely masked by other positives (route running, hands). He most reminds me of Shannon Sharpe; dominating physical presence with above average hands and speed, but lacking in blocking technique and wide receiver speed. He should be a good one, assuming he keeps healthy.
I have no quibble with anything here except that Finley improved his blocking a lot as the season went on. He was injured and missed four games. When he came back fully healthy, he worked hard on his blocking and showed good improvement. Lee is the better blocker but for a second year player, Finley is adequate as a blocker, IMO.

• Dino
  • Veteran

• Shifty
  • Veteran

I really don't get it either. The guy played excellently and matured as an individual. Why people insist on knocking his game is beyond me. 13 TD's for a Tight End!?! f**king ridiculously good!
Finley is a better value for sure than VD was. But Vernon is still a good player.

Green Bay is a much better run organization. But why do we have to tear Vernon down in order to appreciate other organizations?
Originally posted by Dino:

LMAO!
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by Dino:

LMAO!

Share 49ersWebzone