LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

Schefter says Manning and Brady will be the 2 greatest QB's of all time

Shop 49ers game tickets
I think it's impossible to rank QBs, there's a small group of about 10 QBs that could be ranked any way you want.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Manning is the best all around QB IMO.

+1
Originally posted by danimal:

I think he is too cerebral. He controls environments well, but in a pure chaos situation he gets overwhelmed.

Not so easy to get him in a chaotic situation though. Also, he's basically the friggin offensive coordinator.

And I know we're all VERY biased (1. Joe 2. Steve), but you can't discount Tom because of anything Belichick did. Tom Brady is an amazing quarterback (50 f**king touchdowns!), and definitely deserves to be in the conversation as the greatest ever. I tend to agree with Huckleberry though. You can name a top 10, and that's about it.
See now, this pisses me off a little bit.

First of all, Adam Schefter is a poindexter with a blackberry whos job is to get information on happenings around the league before anyone else. That is why ESPN hired him. Definitely not for his opinion of the best players of all time at their respective positions. He was probably having his barmitzvah when Joe was winning his 4th Superbowl. Hell, he's probably not even that old.

Second of all, anyone who actually watched Montana play can tell Mr. Schefter that Joe could make unbelievable plays while on the run, under pressure, getting hit, and so on. These are things that Brady cannot do. The Superbowl against the Giants should have proved that to everyone except for maybe Pats fans. Brady cannot make plays under pressure, which imo is a very important facet of the game to consider when assessing the greatest of all time. While I agree that Brady is a great qb, he is most certainly not the greatest of all time.

Manning has won only one SB thus far despite having pretty good teams and coaching around him for years. 'Nuff said.
  • Money
Here's a pretty jawdropping stat. Jay Cutler has like 7 redzone picks this year. Brady has 6, for his entire career. That's incredible....IMO
Originally posted by Money:
Here's a pretty jawdropping stat. Jay Cutler has like 7 redzone picks this year. Brady has 6, for his entire career. That's incredible....IMO

That's insane.
Originally posted by Chief:

agreed i think manning is defenitaly in the conversation of the best Qb of all time
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Chief:

agreed i think manning is defenitaly in the conversation of the best Qb of all time

I can't argue against that either. I don't see how he can't be included in any list of all time greats.
They are not done yet. So how can you say that yet? Wait until it's done.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Nov 15, 2009 at 00:33:04 ]
I don't think you can say that either Manning or Brady can be compared to Joe Montana. They could be compared to someone like Elway or Marino, but Montana was a winner, plain and simple. When Manning or Brady have 3 Superbowl rings, we can have that conversation.

Originally posted by Psinex:
I don't think you can say that either Manning or Brady can be compared to Joe Montana. They could be compared to someone like Elway or Marino, but Montana was a winner, plain and simple. When Manning or Brady have 3 Superbowl rings, we can have that conversation.

Montana was PRE SALARY CAP ERA. And he had EDDIE D. Eddie D. would routinely spend the most money year in and year out to field by far the most talented team in all of football. Montana was great but he had one hell of a team surrounding him and the best organization in all of sports as well.

Montana always had great O LINES, WR's, TE, RB, and Defenses holding down the other team.

Don't get me wrong he was great but he really had a heck of a lot of factors in his favor as well. He was in a great situation.
  • SerJerryofRice
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
See now, this pisses me off a little bit.

First of all, Adam Schefter is a poindexter with a blackberry whos job is to get information on happenings around the league before anyone else. That is why ESPN hired him. Definitely not for his opinion of the best players of all time at their respective positions. He was probably having his barmitzvah when Joe was winning his 4th Superbowl. Hell, he's probably not even that old.

Second of all, anyone who actually watched Montana play can tell Mr. Schefter that Joe could make unbelievable plays while on the run, under pressure, getting hit, and so on. These are things that Brady cannot do. The Superbowl against the Giants should have proved that to everyone except for maybe Pats fans. Brady cannot make plays under pressure, which imo is a very important facet of the game to consider when assessing the greatest of all time. While I agree that Brady is a great qb, he is most certainly not the greatest of all time.

Manning has won only one SB thus far despite having pretty good teams and coaching around him for years. 'Nuff said.

So you get barmitzvah'ed when you're over 21?

I do agree completely with you about Brady's lack of mobility. Everyone compares him to Montana for his "coolness" but fail to realize that Brady is a pocket qb and was drafted to back up another pocket qb.

Originally posted by Psinex:

I think you mean MVPs?
"She has spoken with all 20 living Hall of Fame quarterbacks (we hope she got to Terry Bradshaw in time) regarding their preferences among the two future Hall of Famers who'll play tonight: Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.

Andrea Kramer will be sharing the results shortly before kickoff and an article will be posted on Sunday Night Football Extra at NBCSports.com.

The 20 living Hall of Fame quarterbacks are: Troy Aikman, George Blanda, Terry Bradshaw, Len Dawson, John Elway, Dan Fouts, Bob Griese, Sonny Jurgensen, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Warren Moon, Joe Namath, Clarence (Ace) Parker, Bart Starr, Roger Staubach, Fran Tarkenton, Y.A. Tittle, Charley Trippi, and Steve Young."

-pft
Brady and Montana play in an Era where it is more offensives. All the rules benefit the offense.
Originally posted by Mike8016:
Brady and Montana play in an Era where it is more offensives. All the rules benefit the offense.

Thank you.

I hate topics like this because you cannot compare the eras. The rules are much different - how would Joe is his prime play in today's game with the way the NFL protects the QB? How about Jerry in his prime with the way the NFL encourages offense? How about pretty boy Brady playing in the 80's when defenses punished QBs? Same could be said for Manning.

To try to compare them is silly.

Joe will always be the best though.
Share 49ersWebzone