3. Bart Starr
4. Steve Young
5. Brett Favre
6. John Elway
7. Peyton Manning
8. Dan Marino
9. Jim Kelly
10. Tom Brady (because of spygate)

Steve Young #4. LOL. Nice homer 49er post. Brett Favre, John Elway, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are all better than him. Marino never won but he threw a much better ball than Steve Young.

correct

Hey I loved Steve as much as the next Niners fan, but come on, he's not ahead of the guys you mentioned

No way at all. I honestly can't believe anybody would believe such a thing. And I liked him too BTW. But you could make a real strong argument he's not even in the top 10 of NFL history.

agreed

No Troy Aikman. No Terry Bradshaw...

Troy Aikman wasn't a top 10 quarterback. He had 5 good years, and threw a ton of interceptions.
165 TD to 141 INT. Easily the most overrated qb ever.

3 Super Bowls says he's a hell of a lot better than Steve Young.

Who said anything about Steve Young?

We were talking about Steve Young until you but in NOOB

All I said was that Aikman wasn't a top 10. Then you said he was better than Steve Young, to counter what I said. Noob.

That being said, Young > Aikman. Super Bowls aren't everything. Or are Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, and Eli Manning better than Dan Marino?
[ Edited by pantstickle on Nov 16, 2009 at 9:16 PM ]
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
When their careers are over the top 10 rankings will be:

1. Joe Montana
2. Johnny Unitas
3. Bart Starr
4. Steve Young
5. Brett Favre
6. John Elway
7. Peyton Manning
8. Dan Marino
9. Jim Kelly

Steve Young #4. LOL. Nice homer 49er post. Brett Favre, John Elway, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are all better than him. Marino never won but he threw a much better ball than Steve Young.

correct

Hey I loved Steve as much as the next Niners fan, but come on, he's not ahead of the guys you mentioned

No way at all. I honestly can't believe anybody would believe such a thing. And I liked him too BTW. But you could make a real strong argument he's not even in the top 10 of NFL history.

agreed

Troy Aikman wasn't a top 10 quarterback. He had 5 good years, and threw a ton of interceptions.

All I said was that Aikman wasn't a top 10. Then you said he was better than Steve Young, to counter what I said. Noob.

That being said, Young > Aikman. Super Bowls aren't everything. Or are Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, and Eli Manning better than Dan Marino?

Actually San Diego said it, open your eyes NOOOOOOOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Joe Montana
2. Johnny Unitas
3. Bart Starr
4. Steve Young
5. Brett Favre
6. John Elway
7. Peyton Manning
8. Dan Marino
9. Jim Kelly

correct

agreed

Aikman used to routinely kick his a** year in and year out. STEVE BEAT HIM ONCE to go to the Super Bowl. Aikman and the Dallas Cowbows had a run and throw deep offense. Of course that leads to more interceptions than a West Coast Offense. Aikman was bigger, stronger, more accurate and more of a winner. It's no comparison. Aikman was much better.
I stand by what I says.

Aikman had a brief run of success. He's VERY overrated.

1. Joe Montana
2. Johnny Unitas
3. Bart Starr
4. Steve Young
5. Brett Favre
6. John Elway
7. Peyton Manning
8. Dan Marino
9. Jim Kelly

correct

agreed

Aikman used to routinely kick his a** year in and year out. STEVE BEAT HIM ONCE to go to the Super Bowl. Aikman and the Dallas Cowbows had a run and throw deep offense. Of course that leads to more interceptions than a West Coast Offense. Aikman was bigger, stronger, more accurate and more of a winner. It's no comparison. Aikman was much better.

Aikman, Favre and Elway were all better than Steve IMO

Aikman and Elway had more Super Bowls, and Favre always beat Young

1. Joe Montana
2. Johnny Unitas
3. Bart Starr
4. Steve Young
5. Brett Favre
6. John Elway
7. Peyton Manning
8. Dan Marino
9. Jim Kelly

correct

Marino threw a much better ball than Steve Young. Of course and that's reflected by his career passer rating, right? Brett Favre? The Grand Daddy of the interception? Just because the media loves him doesn't mean the fans should be fooled.

1. Joe Montana
2. Johnny Unitas
3. Bart Starr
4. Steve Young
5. Brett Favre
6. John Elway
7. Peyton Manning
8. Dan Marino
9. Jim Kelly

correct

agreed

Couldn't this same thought process be brought to the Manning/Brady discussion we were having earlier? Manning beat Brady once to make it to and win a Super Bowl. Other than that Brady has had Manning in his hip pocket. Now that leads us back to the argument that Brady had much better teams...yada yada yada. So it could be said that Manning is the Steve Young of today... maybe. I realize he has more time, but he has great statistics and one super bowl.

I don't believe that Steve Young is #4 of all time and I also don't think that Aikman is in the top 10. While I can't knock the fact that he won 3 Super Bowls, but Bradshaw won 4 and he rarely gets thought of in the top 5. Why is that?
[ Edited by Rivers77 on Nov 17, 2009 at 5:11 AM ]

1. Joe Montana
2. Johnny Unitas
3. Bart Starr
4. Steve Young
5. Brett Favre
6. John Elway
7. Peyton Manning
8. Dan Marino
9. Jim Kelly

correct

agreed

Doesn't this go completely against your argument earlier about how Eddie D was able to put together such great teams and that's why Montana was so good?

Which one is it?
  • dj43

1. Joe Montana
2. Johnny Unitas
3. Bart Starr
4. Steve Young
5. Brett Favre
6. John Elway
7. Peyton Manning
8. Dan Marino
9. Jim Kelly
Nice list. Certainly contains the Top 10. I'll add my comments.

I agree with your top two. Older observers might list Unitas ahead of Montana but, being a 49er fan, I won't.

Bart Starr is top 10 but not #3. He benefitted from a GREAT running game and strong defense. I would put him about 7 or 8.

I put Manning in the top four. Few quarterbacks have ever done what he does in terms of calling plays and doing it well, plus he has all the tools and uses them very well.

I also put Steve Young in the top four. His completion percentage/QB rating along with his overall ability to scramble and move put him above guys like Favre and Marino. His touch in short to mid-range put him above Elway's cannon.

Elway and Brady come next, mostly because they don't do what Manning does in terms of play calls. Elway gets the edge here because he was more mobile.

Marino and Starr are next - pick 'em. Marino was a great thrower but that doesn't make him a better QB than any of the others. Starr just seems to fit in here behind the others. He never had to win games by himself. Too bad because he enjoyed great success on a classic team, but that doesn't make him a Top Five, IMO.

Favre because of his int rate, and Kelly round out the group. Favre doesn't get bonus points for longevity. Kelly was very good but not better than any of the others.
Originally posted by Rivers77:

Doesn't this go completely against your argument earlier about how Eddie D was able to put together such great teams and that's why Montana was so good?

Which one is it?

I like your style.
[ Edited by horsecore on Nov 17, 2009 at 9:54 AM ]

Until someone goes undefeated in 5 Super Bowls than this isnt even a topic to discuss. Go Joe.

Originally posted by Sjceruti:
Until someone goes undefeated in 5 Super Bowls than this isnt even a topic to discuss. Go Joe.

Joe wasnt undefeated in 5 super bowls
Originally posted by horsecore:

Which one is it?

I like your style.

Guys, stop it...you're making Sandiego's head spin too much. He's getting dizzy and nauseated, he might throw up.

Originally posted by horsecore:

Which one is it?

I like your style.

Guys, stop it...you're making Sandiego's head spin too much. He's getting dizzy and nauseated, he might throw up.

doubt it. Joe Montana is still the best, i would put peyton in the top 5 right now and he will probably be considered top 2 or 3 after all is said and done. Peyton Manning is awesome. i like brady too and im not discounting anything he did but i think manning is the better QB
Share 49ersWebzone