There are 282 users in the forums

Schefter says Manning and Brady will be the 2 greatest QB's of all time

Shop 49ers game tickets
I like Peyton but he's way too much of a choke artist.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Manning
Montana
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

LOL, he made me eat some crow with the 2 TDs in the last 4 minutes or whatever. Good job Peyton!
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

O Really...
The argument is pretty stale, specially seeing that Joe Montana put up insane numbers/feats in a time when the defense could rip a quarterback's head off without a care in the world.

Also, Brady is easily the most p***y/overrated QB in history, he only won 80% of his comebacks (including 2 Superbowls) because of a kicker, and has become a choke QB over the years (2006 NFC Championship/XLII). -Brady is a pocket-functional Troy Aikman that has been able to rely upon (probably) the best defensive minded head coach in NFL history.

Brady has no real iconic moments, and he's had an infamous history of getting help from the refs in his victories (Tuck/Brady rule).
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Manning is the best all around QB IMO.

Check out his playoff resume.

Good day.
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:

Good day.

Do you honestly think he was on the better team than Brady all those years? The Pats were a powerhouse including a phenomonal defense holding down the other team. Peyton's defenses backing him were not 1/2 as good at slowing down the opposing team.
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Originally posted by Rivers77:
Originally posted by pantstickle:
Too much emphasis/blame is put on a quarterback when a team wins/loses.

Yes, Joe is the greatest of all time, but don't you think Peyton would have won at least 3 with our Niners? He's not exactly a chump.

But how can you say that based on Manning's stats in the playoffs? He doesn't get better and tends to crumple in big games. Montana is the opposite in big games.

Don't make too much out of statistics. They're often misleading, especially QB rating.

Also, you're greatly exaggerating the impact of Belichick's cheating.

The fine and draft pick says otherwise. That *little* bit of cheating could, say, be worth 3 points maybe? Hey, you know what? I think they won all three super bowls by 3 points. I'd call it exaggerating if they blew away their opponents, but...
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Good day.

Do you honestly think he was on the better team than Brady all those years? The Pats were a powerhouse including a phenomonal defense holding down the other team. Peyton's defenses backing him were not 1/2 as good at slowing down the opposing team.

I might possibly agree with this argument if Manning elevated his play and helped elevate the play of his team. They might still come out on the wrong end of the of the scoreboard, but his play would have never been in question. His dip in QB rating in the playoffs and record speak for themselves.

Good day.

I might possibly agree with this argument if Manning elevated his play and helped elevate the play of his team. They might still come out on the wrong end of the of the scoreboard, but his play would have never been in question. His dip in QB rating in the playoffs and record speak for themselves.

You don't think Brady had the better teams most years?

If you are driving a Ferrari or a Yugo is that like the same thing?

Good day.

No. What I'm saying is his play in the playoffs has been average at best. Once the big time hits he goes from being a Ferrari to a Yugo and I promise you they aren't the same thing. Big time players step up when the pressure is on and they aren't just steam rolling through the regular season. Big time players make things happen when it counts. Peyton Manning, for the most part, doesn't do this.

The Colts have had a consistant winner with some great teams. I've heard announcers rave about his offensive line, tight end, and receivers. Yet the compliments tend to disappear in the playoffs when teams are rolling over them. I watched the Green Bay Packers beat us three years in the playoffs. Whatever excuses there are doesn't matter. They stepped up when it counted. Is it talent? Is it coaching? Whether for good or bad the quarterback is judged on how well the team does. It comes with the territory when you're the leader of the team. It is what is. We provide far too much blame to presidents as well, but it comes with the job. You wanted the job; just be prepared for the pain along with the glory.

On a side note, the victory last night was impressive. At the end of the day it still is the regular season and I'd love for him to hand it to the Patriots in the playoffs. Beyond that, if he proves me wrong and puts another 2 championships under his belt with great quarterback play then I'll eat crow.

I rooted for Steve Young after the organization decided to go with him. I preferred Montana, but the team went another direction and, so, I put my support to the starting quarterback... with one exception.

PS: Before the cheating I would have said that Brady was the closest thing to Montana that I'd ever seen.

Good day.

No. What I'm saying is his play in the playoffs has been average at best. Once the big time hits he goes from being a Ferrari to a Yugo and I promise you they aren't the same thing. Big time players step up when the pressure is on and they aren't just steam rolling through the regular season. Big time players make things happen when it counts. Peyton Manning, for the most part, doesn't do this.

The Colts have had a consistant winner with some great teams. I've heard announcers rave about his offensive line, tight end, and receivers. Yet the compliments tend to disappear in the playoffs when teams are rolling over them. I watched the Green Bay Packers beat us three years in the playoffs. Whatever excuses there are doesn't matter. They stepped up when it counted. Is it talent? Is it coaching? Whether for good or bad the quarterback is judged on how well the team does. It comes with the territory when you're the leader of the team. It is what is. We provide far too much blame to presidents as well, but it comes with the job. You wanted the job; just be prepared for the pain along with the glory.

On a side note, the victory last night was impressive. At the end of the day it still is the regular season and I'd love for him to hand it to the Patriots in the playoffs. Beyond that, if he proves me wrong and puts another 2 championships under his belt with great quarterback play then I'll eat crow.

I rooted for Steve Young after the organization decided to go with him. I preferred Montana, but the team went another direction and, so, I put my support to the starting quarterback... with one exception.

PS: Before the cheating I would have said that Brady was the closest thing to Montana that I'd ever seen.

"When the big time hits he goes from a Ferrari to a Yugo..."

He won the Super Bowl...

Good day.

He won the Super Bowl...

The debate is whether he is the greatest of all time. I have yet to see an argument that convinces me he is. If winning the super bowl is the requirement then you could make a case for Trent Dilfer or Jim McMahon.

Pull up Manning's statistics for the year they won the super bowl and see what they tell you.

[ Edited by Rivers77 on Nov 16, 2009 at 05:31:49 ]

Good day.

He won the Super Bowl...

The debate is whether he is the greatest of all time. I have to see an argument that convinces me he is. If winning the super bowl is the requirement then you could make a case for Trent Dilfer or Jim McMahon.

Pull up Manning's statistics for the year they won the super bowl and see what they tell you.

He's not yet but he's still playing right? So his career is not over yet. So how can you FULLY JUDGE HIM right now?

• titan
  • Veteran
Manning and Brady will both be legends in the game, but by then Joe Montana will be a football God. Yes records will be broken and new generations will carry new visions of the gamealong with new players, but for the people that saw Joe Montana and Jerry Rice play they understand what I'm talking about.
Share 49ersWebzone