There are 133 users in the forums

Wanya Morris OT Oklahoma

I don't know s**t about footwork for o linemen as all I ever did was watch the guards outside foot when I played but what's wrong with Wanyas footwork I keep hearing it and I'm like ohh k?
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
I don't know s**t about footwork for o linemen as all I ever did was watch the guards outside foot when I played but what's wrong with Wanyas footwork I keep hearing it and I'm like ohh k?

Fwiw, I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with his footwork. He has a smooth and controlled pass set, is an explosive athlete, and gets plenty of depth in his drop. He tends to get to his spot and then "catch" his opponent, which can lead to a late and inconsistent anchor, and he also tends to attempt a 2-hand strike, and can be caught lunging, similar to corners in press coverage who don't press with their feet. I'd guess that people saying he needs to clean his footwork are seeing these instances of imbalance and are just automatically attributing it to "poor footwork" because not many people really know what nuance to look for.
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Apr 5, 2023 at 7:03 PM ]
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
I don't know s**t about footwork for o linemen as all I ever did was watch the guards outside foot when I played but what's wrong with Wanyas footwork I keep hearing it and I'm like ohh k?

Fwiw, I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with his footwork. He has a smooth and controlled pass set, is an explosive athlete, and gets plenty of depth in his drop. He tends to get to his spot and then "catch" his opponent, which can lead to a late and inconsistent anchor, and he also tends to attempt a 2-hand strike, and can be caught lunging, similar to corners in press coverage who don't press with their feet. I'd guess that people saying he needs to clean his footwork are seeing these instances of imbalance and are just automatically attributing it to "poor footwork" because not many people really know what nuance to look for.

Perfect thank you. Yeah I'm on some other boards and they were sayin he had troubling footwork. I'm sitting over here like looks good to me but I don't know what I'm looking at I just see a potential starting Tackle that could be at one of our 3rds.
Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
Fwiw, I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with his footwork. He has a smooth and controlled pass set, is an explosive athlete, and gets plenty of depth in his drop. He tends to get to his spot and then "catch" his opponent, which can lead to a late and inconsistent anchor, and he also tends to attempt a 2-hand strike, and can be caught lunging, similar to corners in press coverage who don't press with their feet. I'd guess that people saying he needs to clean his footwork are seeing these instances of imbalance and are just automatically attributing it to "poor footwork" because not many people really know what nuance to look for.

Honestly I feel like Forster could really get him where he needs to be.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by krizay:
I was a Bergeron fan. I have cooled on him.

My rankings for us go

1. Warren McClendon
2. Wanya Morris
3. Blake Freeland

I really want us to come away with one of these 3 guys

Agreed on your top 3 but I wouldn't be mad about Bergeron

I wouldn't be mad at Bergeron either. But a week or do ago I was willing to trade up for him. Not so much anymore.

Yeah I'll take McClendon, Morris, Freeland or Tyler Steen in the 3rd before moving up for Bergeron. Don't dislike him just don't think he's much better than others that should be available

Yeah, I like McClendon, Morris, Steen, and Carter Warren as 3rd round options. I think any of those 4 can potentially compete for a starting spot right away. I'm a little leery of Freeland's anchor. Worried he'd get blown up by power rushes, McGlinchey style...
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by krizay:
I was a Bergeron fan. I have cooled on him.

My rankings for us go

1. Warren McClendon
2. Wanya Morris
3. Blake Freeland

I really want us to come away with one of these 3 guys

Agreed on your top 3 but I wouldn't be mad about Bergeron

I wouldn't be mad at Bergeron either. But a week or do ago I was willing to trade up for him. Not so much anymore.

Yeah I'll take McClendon, Morris, Freeland or Tyler Steen in the 3rd before moving up for Bergeron. Don't dislike him just don't think he's much better than others that should be available

Yeah, I like McClendon, Morris, Steen, and Carter Warren as 3rd round options. I think any of those 4 can potentially compete for a starting spot right away. I'm a little leery of Freeland's anchor. Worried he'd get blown up by power rushes, McGlinchey style...

I'm permanently scarred and never want a player taller than 6'6"
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by krizay:
I was a Bergeron fan. I have cooled on him.

My rankings for us go

1. Warren McClendon
2. Wanya Morris
3. Blake Freeland

I really want us to come away with one of these 3 guys

Agreed on your top 3 but I wouldn't be mad about Bergeron

I wouldn't be mad at Bergeron either. But a week or do ago I was willing to trade up for him. Not so much anymore.

Yeah I'll take McClendon, Morris, Freeland or Tyler Steen in the 3rd before moving up for Bergeron. Don't dislike him just don't think he's much better than others that should be available

Yeah, I like McClendon, Morris, Steen, and Carter Warren as 3rd round options. I think any of those 4 can potentially compete for a starting spot right away. I'm a little leery of Freeland's anchor. Worried he'd get blown up by power rushes, McGlinchey style...

I'm permanently scarred and never want a player taller than 6'6"

I've seen some comps to Kolton Miller. Who's almost 6-9. He's turned into a damn good OT.

Balke reminds me of Brian O'Neill, who's the RT in Minn. he's like 6-7 and got paid a massive deal a couple years ago.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by krizay:
I was a Bergeron fan. I have cooled on him.

My rankings for us go

1. Warren McClendon
2. Wanya Morris
3. Blake Freeland

I really want us to come away with one of these 3 guys

Agreed on your top 3 but I wouldn't be mad about Bergeron

I wouldn't be mad at Bergeron either. But a week or do ago I was willing to trade up for him. Not so much anymore.

Yeah I'll take McClendon, Morris, Freeland or Tyler Steen in the 3rd before moving up for Bergeron. Don't dislike him just don't think he's much better than others that should be available

Yeah, I like McClendon, Morris, Steen, and Carter Warren as 3rd round options. I think any of those 4 can potentially compete for a starting spot right away. I'm a little leery of Freeland's anchor. Worried he'd get blown up by power rushes, McGlinchey style...

I'm permanently scarred and never want a player taller than 6'6"

I've seen some comps to Kolton Miller. Who's almost 6-9. He's turned into a damn good OT.

Balke reminds me of Brian O'Neill, who's the RT in Minn. he's like 6-7 and got paid a massive deal a couple years ago.

I hate player comps it's insulting to the pro player and are usually wrong. As I've said I don't know the intricacies of playing tackle but I can see when a player gets out leveraged and is light in the ass.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
I hate player comps it's insulting to the pro player and are usually wrong. As I've said I don't know the intricacies of playing tackle but I can see when a player gets out leveraged and is light in the ass.

I feel ya. I was more or less saying there's some tall "lean" OTs that are pretty successful. don't let big Mike give ya PSTD over it 😉
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
I hate player comps it's insulting to the pro player and are usually wrong. As I've said I don't know the intricacies of playing tackle but I can see when a player gets out leveraged and is light in the ass.

I feel ya. I was more or less saying there's some tall "lean" OTs that are pretty successful. don't let big Mike give ya PSTD over it 😉

I think it's how you use comparisons. I look at it more as an example of what a guys play style is than an indication that they are a carbon copy or the second coming of a player. The thing I don't like is when some anoint someone so and so 2.0 rather than pointing out a similarity.

I'm leaning more and more to Morris being our guy. Ideal scheme fit, meets all the thresholds we have at OT, we met with him…5 star recruit that needs some top end OL coaching to perfect his technique.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I'm leaning more and more to Morris being our guy. Ideal scheme fit, meets all the thresholds we have at OT, we met with him…5 star recruit that needs some top end OL coaching to perfect his technique.

Yeah Freeland/Bergeron are my top 2 choices that have a small chance at being available at 99. Morris is my #1 most realistic choice when it comes to OT prospects that have a good chance at being available at 99. Followed by Conner Galvin and Saldaveri.
I think Morris has a better chance of being a day one starter than freeland
I think I'm starting to like him more than Saldiveri. He can probably be had without moving up like we'd have to do for Freeland. If they want to move up for an OT I'd rather see them go way up and get Dawand Jones if he's still there around 45.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I think I'm starting to like him more than Saldiveri. He can probably be had without moving up like we'd have to do for Freeland. If they want to move up for an OT I'd rather see them go way up and get Dawand Jones if he's still there around 45.

Morris does have 35+" arms, that gives him an advantage over everyone except

Dawand Jones 36 3/8
Paris Johnson 36 1/8
Carter Warren 35 3/8
Wanya Morris 35 1/8

Blake Freeland 33 7/8
Nick Saldiveria 33 1/8

https://www.mockdraftable.com/search?position=OT&beginYear=2023&endYear=2023&sort=DESC&page=1&measurable=arms
Share 49ersWebzone