LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 345 users in the forums

Anthony Richardson ** CAM JACKSON ** Thread

• krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
What top QB doesn't run well and throw hard?

Thats just it. A lot of top QBs are only considered top QBs because they can run well and throw hard. Not necessarily because they are actually top QBs. IMO
[ Edited by krizay on Mar 8, 2023 at 4:57 AM ]
53.8% completion percentage which means he throws bricks. 17 TD and 9 interceptions isn't all that great. Not huge yards passing either. A height, weight, speed guy at this point. Not much else.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
53.8% completion percentage which means he throws bricks. 17 TD and 9 interceptions isn't all that great. Not huge yards passing either. A height, weight, speed guy at this point. Not much else.

AGREE... fully... number wise, he's ALL THAT... tho I don't he's worth TOP 10 (IMO) but I wont be surprise if Atlanta or Detroit picks the guy..
film of Richardson oh the ABSURDITY

Originally posted by krizay:
No you are not born a QB. In order to be a top 10 pick you should have become one by that point. Not learning to become one. That's how I personally look at it. That's said, if you are only using one pick it's not that big of a risk. It's when you give up multiple starters or potential starters that costs you.

I think that idea has changed somewhat as the league has changed. These kids in college aren't running a ton of pro-style offenses, they're not diagnosing coverages pre/post like QBs at the NFL level. They're not getting full field reads. s**t a lot of them have meh mechanics.

IMO like most positions, it's projecting a player on what they could be. We got smart coaches implementing what these kids did well in college, adding that to their system and slowly expanding the playbook as they grow.

Having elite skill sets that aren't coachable with great intangibles is valued a ton at the QB position across the league right now for a reason.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I think that idea has changed somewhat as the league has changed. These kids in college aren't running a ton of pro-style offenses, they're not diagnosing coverages pre/post like QBs at the NFL level. They're not getting full field reads. s**t a lot of them have meh mechanics.

IMO like most positions, it's projecting a player on what they could be. We got smart coaches implementing what these kids did well in college, adding that to their system and slowly expanding the playbook as they grow.

Having elite skill sets that aren't coachable with great intangibles is valued a ton at the QB position across the league right now for a reason.

Marginal tangible players who "know how to play qb" can be found throughout the draft. You can't find 6'4 244 running 4.4 with a big arm everywhere.

How any 9er fan who ever witnessed Steve Young play in 1988 can say QBs don't become QB's is crazy to me.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Mar 8, 2023 at 11:48 AM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
No you are not born a QB. In order to be a top 10 pick you should have become one by that point. Not learning to become one. That's how I personally look at it. That's said, if you are only using one pick it's not that big of a risk. It's when you give up multiple starters or potential starters that costs you.

Let's just look at our recent draft situation. There were 4 QBs that fall into this category.

1. Was "generational" talent and bust proof. He already learned how to play QB. He looks the part.

2. Was another mobile strong arm guy still trying to learn to play QB. has since been benched and his team is willing to depend assests and MILLIONS for his replacement.

3. Another mobile strong arm guy still trying to learn to play QB is getting lucky this off season in that he gets one more chance to hold on to his job.

4. Another mobile strong arm guy looks good in the running department but has a ways to go on being a true QB.

So you are obviously correct their skill sets aren't coachable. You may be overstating the intangibles that you believe these QBs actually have. While underestimating the importance of the skill sets that they lack.

We'll never agree on this philosophy
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Marginal tangible players who "know how to play qb" can be found throughout the draft. You can't find 6'4 244 running 4.4 with a big arm everywhere.

How any 9er fan who ever witnessed Steve Young play in 1988 can say QBs don't become QB's is crazy to me.

All this proves to me is another point of mine that every QB has a system. You can't just plug and play any QB into any system.

With the exception of a couple IMO
All this proves to me is another point of mine that every QB has a system. You can't just plug and play any QB into any system.

With the exception of a couple IMO

So Steve Young just happened to be a perfect fit for a WCO even though he couldn't run it worth a damn for multiple years?
Just gotta coach him up and hope the guy has the work ethic to develop and get better. The way the Niners play against big fast athletic qb's I'd prefer him in the AFC.

• 9moon
  • Veteran
Sometimes, QBs can just be late bloomers.. I watched a lot of Florida games last year and you can just tell Rich just wont cut it as a Pro just yet.. he's arm is so strong that you can tell that he needs to wait for his targets to be open and he'll get the ball there.. .in the NFL, WRs getting open is rare and that's where my doubt is..

.. of course, he can develop overtime.. MAYBE?
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:

That's just absolutely crazy talk. His throwing isn't good enough for that. No way. Somebody will reach. He's a height, weight, speed guy who has a long way to go as a thrower.
Originally posted by 9moon:
Sometimes, QBs can just be late bloomers.. I watched a lot of Florida games last year and you can just tell Rich just wont cut it as a Pro just yet.. he's arm is so strong that you can tell that he needs to wait for his targets to be open and he'll get the ball there.. .in the NFL, WRs getting open is rare and that's where my doubt is..

.. of course, he can develop overtime.. MAYBE?

Yeah he's not there yet and that's always risky in the NFL.

This is exactly why the Niners reached and drafted Trey. They new he was raw but they saw a big arm and athleticism. They rarely finish bad enough to have a shot at a top tier QB in the draft so they threw in all their chips. Now they have to see if he can become the guy they hoped for.

The one advantage that Trey had was the offense he ran for that one year at NDSU was more of a pro type offense. He took a lot of snaps from under center. In that respect he was more prepared than some of the guys coming out of college. Now he needs to stay healthy so he can get reps in the NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone