LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

Who's the best WR coming out in draft - that you would take in early first?

Who's the best WR coming out in draft - that you would take in early first?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Brucey72:
I'm not interested in Williams. Recently tore his ACL and couldn't get on the field with Wilson and Olave at Ohio State. I know he exploded last year with Bama but as an OSU fan I was never impressed with him there.

They absolutely can not draft Williams. He's a guy who only played a full year in college and wound up with a serious knee injury. Maybe its just really bad luck and he'll be perfectly healthy the rest of his career but this team in particular cannot take that risk after what has happened with Kinlaw.

This and I'm a biased Bama fan that loves the way he plays. It just really makes no sense to make such a risky selection. I'd be ok with it if the team doctors believe he's going to be 100%, but if he has any complications with the knee, then we severely screwed up and it wasn't necessary to gamble with another high pick.
[ Edited by Nastastical on Apr 24, 2022 at 3:06 PM ]
None. This draft is supposed to be deep in WRs. I agree with the logic that was mentioned earlier that you select a cornerstone position like OT, DE, CB with the pick that replaces Deebo if the trade actually goes down. Aiyuk, receiver with pick #61, Jennings, sign Julio Jones, McCloud. Receiver room fixed. Oh and draft James Cook to replace Deebo's backfield touches.
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
None. This draft is supposed to be deep in WRs. I agree with the logic that was mentioned earlier that you select a cornerstone position like OT, DE, CB with the pick that replaces Deebo if the trade actually goes down. Aiyuk, receiver with pick #61, Jennings, sign Julio Jones, McCloud. Receiver room fixed. Oh and draft James Cook to replace Deebo's backfield touches.

I agree with this, though I refuse to believe that Trey Sermon won't contribute this year. One of his biggest pros is that he's an excellent receiver and for being a big back has a lot of natural wiggle. He can definitely help ease the pain of losing Deebo.
1. Stand pat and take Wilson

2. Trade down and take Burks

3. Trade further down and take Moore or Watson and then use one of the picks you gained to add yet another WR in the 3rd round somewhere.

I think Wilson is gone by 10 and after him it's a toss up.

I would throw my sneaker through my tv, s**t I'd throw my wife, if we draft Williams. Lol

Seriously, just put me on a timeout for two weeks if that happens and I'll thank you later.

OL may be the best bpa value at 10. Maybe corner or Hamilton? Crazy to be diving into this now.
Drake London looked like he was really bailing his QB out and could be a great safety net for Lance. If the 49ers believe in him, I would not be upset to see Christian Watson. Jameson William's feels a little risky but we do need a deep threat. Garrett Wilson seems to be on top of most people's boards. Burks scared we with his 40 time but when I watch him he looks fast and physical.

I'm anticipating us picking at 4 or 10. Hopefully we have our choice. I'd rather us keep Deebo but we better get a good haul.
On Burks

Wonderlic of 11. "He has the best chance to (bust) because he is not a mental giant (From Dave McGinn)
Physical style of play leads to durability concerns — tore the ACL in his left knee (October 2018) as a senior in high school.(Brugler)

On Drake London

Intangibles aren't awesome," a second scout said. "It's diva football character kind of deal (Dave McGinn)

On Christian Watson
medicals will be important after multiple surgeries to repair torn cartilage in his knee (2019 offseason); missed three games as a senior because of a hamstring injury .(Brugler)

On Pickens
Had several immature moments early in his career: ejected from a game as a freshman for trading punches with a Georgia Tech
defender, and was suspended for a half the following game (November 2019); was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct for spraying water on a Tennessee player on
the sideline (October 2020) (Brugler)

A lot of his issues come off the field. Work habits, how he's going to fit on a team. (McGinn)

a lot of people have him further down because of his football makeup and personal character." Was thrown out of one game and suspended. Removed from one team's draft board because of off-field issues. (McGinn)

there's maybe some football character concerns. (McGinn)

He's got a big ego (McGinn)

--------------------------------------------------------

IMO No one wr is worthy of first rroun selection. I like al lot Burks but I have some doubts.

David Bell and Jalen Tolbert in third round are two guys who fit our sistem and are less risky
[ Edited by Decima_Mas on Apr 24, 2022 at 11:36 AM ]
The Jimmy era is finally over. We no longer have to draft receivers that specialize in breaking tackles after the short hitting slant pattern over the middle. Time to draft receivers that work well with Trey! I want speedy receivers that can run routes.
Originally posted by pete98146:
The Jimmy era is finally over. We no longer have to draft receivers that specialize in breaking tackles after the short hitting slant pattern over the middle

This aspect of the offense has always been and will always be important. It ain't changing whether it's Trey or Jimmy.
[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 24, 2022 at 12:48 PM ]
Originally posted by pete98146:
The Jimmy era is finally over. We no longer have to draft receivers that specialize in breaking tackles after the short hitting slant pattern over the middle. Time to draft receivers that work well with Trey! I want speedy receivers that can run routes.

Agree on WRs who can run really good routes (including fakes). As for speed, it is of course better , but look at KIttle. He isn't a burner, yet he runs superb routes and catches everything. I will say he is a bit like #80 GOAT Jerry…once he gets the ball in his hands and gets behind someone, he is hard to catch. Whenever Jerry got the ball in his hands he could outrun anyone on the field. Yet, he never really was considered a Tyrek speed guy.

but perfect route running? That is where a WR can earn his money. That and catching anything he can reach.
Originally posted by Nastastical:
Originally posted by Brucey72:
I'm not interested in Williams. Recently tore his ACL and couldn't get on the field with Wilson and Olave at Ohio State. I know he exploded last year with Bama but as an OSU fan I was never impressed with him there.

They absolutely can not draft Williams. He's a guy who only played a full year in college and wound up with a serious knee injury. Maybe its just really bad luck and he'll be perfectly healthy the rest of his career but this team in particular cannot take that risk after what has happened with Kinlaw.

This and I'm a biased Bama fan that loves the way he plays. It just really makes no sense to make such a risky selection. I'd be ok with it if the team doctors believe he's going to be 100%, but if he has any complications with the knee, then we severely screwed up and it wasn't necessary to gamble with another high pick.

I actually think Williams is the only guy we should take and only if we trade down to the 20's of the first round.

This team could use an elite deep threat like Williams and I don't really see the upside in any of the other WRs. Especially not at pick 10.

Originally posted by boast:
if Deebo's traded on thursday. i want them to find a way to get Trey his boy Christian Watson.

This
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by boast:
if Deebo's traded on thursday. i want them to find a way to get Trey his boy Christian Watson.

This

I'm on board
Treylon Burks and George Pickens are my favourite WR's
Watson is also an excellent option
Lerry Jrice

Good breakdown. I still think Jamison Williams fits our needs but I understand if he's off our board due to his injury. I just think it would lessen the blow of losing Deebo by drafting a faster player that can track the ball on deep passes. #oneplaydrive
Share 49ersWebzone