There are 258 users in the forums

DeVonta Smith>WR>Alabama

• 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BMoore56:
Originally posted by Heroism:
no

Agree. We have bigger holes than WR

so you guys are willing to pass on the best player available because of other needs???

Personally, I believe this is a WRONG decision..

it's not like we are good at the WR position.. don't forget that Deevah is a part time player... and imagine this offense if YUCK gets hurt?

if Smith or Chase is high on our list and they are the best player available, then I say we take him... I'm not drafting a CB or a LB or LT if he's not on our TOP 15 list... if we had a JR or a JT, then yes, I can afford to look some place else, but the fact is, I only see YUCK as our WR at the moment..
Originally posted by 9moon:
no

so you guys are willing to pass on the best player available because of other needs???

it's not like we are good at the WR position.. don't forget that Deevah is a part time player... and imagine this offense if YUCK gets hurt?

if Smith or Chase is high on our list and they are the best player available, then I say we take him... I'm not drafting a CB or a LB or LT if he's not on our TOP 15 list... if we had a JR or a JT, then yes, I can afford to look some place else, but the fact is, I only see YUCK as our WR at the moment..

Madden draft logic
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by rathman4481:
I'm not even against it if we keep jimmy lol.

So we would have spent a 2nd round and 2 1st round picks on WRs in a run based offense. That would make us the modern day Detroit Lions

Not like we are going to use this pick on an OL
no

Madden draft logic

Lol this, he must've been a huge fan of Matt Millen who took Charles Johnson, Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson year after year
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
no

Madden draft logic

Lol this, he must've been a huge fan of Matt Millen who took Charles Johnson, Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson year after year

So you think drafting Calvin Johnson was a mistake? How about Bosa? Cause we just drafted defensive lineman in ST.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
no

Madden draft logic

So you think drafting Calvin Johnson was a mistake? How about Bosa? Cause we just drafted defensive lineman in ST.

Yes it was a mistake. As a GM your in the business of winning not drafting Hall of Famers. When you invest so heavily in the most reliant position on the field with multiple high picks don't be surprised when you get fired cause your team is losing.
Devonta Smith should absolutely be on the radar. Last I checked 3 WR sets were a thing.

BPA does have caveats but there are tiers of players. If we find a player on his level at a greater position of need, then that's awesome.

You don't pass on great for good NO MATTER WHAT.
no

Madden draft logic

Yes it was a mistake. As a GM your in the business of winning not drafting Hall of Famers. When you invest so heavily in the most reliant position on the field with multiple high picks don't be surprised when you get fired cause your team is losing.

Drafting arguably the most talented WR in NFL history didn't help them win? Nonsense.

They didn't win because they failed to draft well at other positions and because they whiffed on Charles Johnson.

You don't compound a mistake by making another one.

We have a different situation in that I believe both our WRs can produce when healthy.

But the Lions example is awful.
I love Smith and if we were desperate for receivers and the O line and QB were set in stone then I'd try and draft him. Our O line isn't set in stone. They need to upgrade 2 positions. QB is still a question and they at least need to draft someone as a better backup and maybe a future starter. The receivers are more than good enough for now.
no

Madden draft logic

Drafting arguably the most talented WR in NFL history didn't help them win? Nonsense.

They didn't win because they failed to draft well at other positions and because they whiffed on Charles Johnson.

We have a different situation in that I believe both our WRs can produce when healthy.

So using 1st round picks over and over until you get a good one isn't a good idea. Using 1st round picks over and over even though you already have 2 good ones and have the best TE in the game and are a running team with an O line that doesn't pass block well and a QB who struggles with passing outside the numbers is a flat out bad idea.

no

Madden draft logic

So using 1st round picks over and over until you get a good one isn't a good idea. Using 1st round picks over and over even though you already have 2 good ones and have the best TE in the game and are a running team with an O line that doesn't pass block well and a QB who struggles with passing outside the numbers is a flat out bad idea.

Clearly you didn't read my first post. I'm not saying the 49ers should take Smith.

I'm claiming your comparison and analysis of the Matt Milan era Lions taking Calvin Johnson 1. Doesn't compare to our situation and 2. Completely disregards a players talent in your drafting philosophy. You might as well just draft by position and not scout anyone if taking the best player isn't the most important thing.
no

Madden draft logic

Clearly you didn't read my first post. I'm not saying the 49ers should take Smith.

I'm claiming your comparison and analysis of the Matt Milan era Lions taking Calvin Johnson 1. Doesn't compare to our situation and 2. Completely disregards a players talent in your drafting philosophy. You might as well just draft by position and not scout anyone if taking the best player isn't the most important thing.

I'm all for taking BPA at valuable positions. I've said in the past receivers have the same value as punters and kickers and I don't think they should ever be drafted high. Some of the greatest receivers to ever play the game didn't win and commanded some the largest contracts. So yes I would completely disregard a receivers talent until later in the draft much like teams do with kickers and punters. Hell on averages receivers get their hands on the ball as much as punters.
no

Madden draft logic

I'm all for taking BPA at valuable positions. I've said in the past receivers have the same value as punters and kickers and I don't think they should ever be drafted high. Some of the greatest receivers to ever play the game didn't win and commanded some the largest contracts. So yes I would completely disregard a receivers talent until later in the draft much like teams do with kickers and punters. Hell on averages receivers get their hands on the ball as much as punters.

This year we'll see either Hill, Diggs, Adams or Evans-Godwin-AB win a SB.
I believe Evans is the only guy who was a top 10 pick or even a first rounder of this bunch.
I'll stick with my prediction, Dolphins pick Smith to boost Tua potential. Alabama connection.
If he's available you take him. I don't care if it's not a need. Best player available. You don't pass on jerry rice for a starting center.
KS offense needs a speed threat to open the underneath stuff.

Our offense was night/day different when Marquis Goodwin was healthy and active.

I dont know if there are comparable other speed threats (not total package skill just speed) in later rounds but don't be too quick to dismiss the idea
Share 49ersWebzone