LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 302 users in the forums

DeVonta Smith>WR>Alabama

• Mr711
Man imagine rolling out Deebo, Aiyuk, DeVonta Smith, Kittle?
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
KS offense needs a speed threat to open the underneath stuff.

Our offense was night/day different when Marquis Goodwin was healthy and active.

I dont know if there are comparable other speed threats (not total package skill just speed) in later rounds but don't be too quick to dismiss the idea

Agreed. Only thing is we don't need a high pick for that. This is why I said round 3 or 4.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Nah.

At times, we can't even get the ball to our own receivers... fix the damn Oline and our (very soon to be) depleted secondary.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
If he's available you take him. I don't care if it's not a need. Best player available. You don't pass on jerry rice for a starting center.

THIS was originally my point. .

you just have fans here that CAN'T GET IT...

I've stated the fact that if DeVonta is the BPA on OUR list, then we should take him over any other NEEDS who aren't HIGH on our list..
If we have jimmy it's a pointless pick. He won't throw to the outside or downfield enough to realize Smith's true potential.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by BMoore56:
Originally posted by Heroism:
no

Agree. We have bigger holes than WR

so you guys are willing to pass on the best player available because of other needs???

Personally, I believe this is a WRONG decision..

it's not like we are good at the WR position.. don't forget that Deevah is a part time player... and imagine this offense if YUCK gets hurt?

if Smith or Chase is high on our list and they are the best player available, then I say we take him... I'm not drafting a CB or a LB or LT if he's not on our TOP 15 list... if we had a JR or a JT, then yes, I can afford to look some place else, but the fact is, I only see YUCK as our WR at the moment..

Madden draft logic

Lol this, he must've been a huge fan of Matt Millen who took Charles Johnson, Roy Williams and Calvin Johnson year after year

First of all, if you going to come out firing, make sure you know what you're talking about... Calvin Johnson was not drafted the year after Roy Williams.. it was USC's Mike Williams..

Drafting Charles Johnson was easy, like Bosa, everyone had him HIGH... Roy Williams was very good too and much similar to YUCK but he just did not want to be in Detroit..

Mike Williams was the mistake because even as promising as he was then, he was never like DeVonta !!!

so to continue your LESSON, here is something for you to take to bed so you'll know something in the morning...

Do you think DeVonta is better than Mike Williams was ??
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by BMoore56:
Originally posted by Heroism:
no

Agree. We have bigger holes than WR

so you guys are willing to pass on the best player available because of other needs???

Personally, I believe this is a WRONG decision..

it's not like we are good at the WR position.. don't forget that Deevah is a part time player... and imagine this offense if YUCK gets hurt?

if Smith or Chase is high on our list and they are the best player available, then I say we take him... I'm not drafting a CB or a LB or LT if he's not on our TOP 15 list... if we had a JR or a JT, then yes, I can afford to look some place else, but the fact is, I only see YUCK as our WR at the moment..

Madden draft logic

.. and what LOGIC do you have John Robinson?

lets have it..
CANT WAIT TO SEE DEVONTA CATCHIN BALLS FROM JIMMY G

... as members of the Houston Texans
He's another in the long line of 'Bama WR's...very fast, runs decent routes, but is on the spindly side. Have to wonder how he'd hold up facing top DB's every week, something he didn't do at 'Bama. CB's a bigger need, as are C and RG, IMHO. Given this is another deep WR draft, I'd go CB in the 1st, OL in 2nd/3rd.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
He's another in the long line of 'Bama WR's...very fast, runs decent routes, but is on the spindly side. Have to wonder how he'd hold up facing top DB's every week, something he didn't do at 'Bama. CB's a bigger need, as are C and RG, IMHO. Given this is another deep WR draft, I'd go CB in the 1st, OL in 2nd/3rd.

He will struggle in press coverage but teams do such a good job nowadays scheming these guys open.

Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
He will struggle in press coverage but teams do such a good job nowadays scheming these guys open.

What are you basing that on? I'm guessing his frame, I think this might be the worst assumption of all time.

Devonta's feet are electric, and he competes his @ss off, give me that over size all day.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

BUT, BUT..... I thought you all said that Shanny is a GENIUS..

Wont he be able to design plays where no DBs or LBs can get their hands on DeVonta??

or even send him on a shallow crossing route over the middle ??

I'd like to see IF the best of the best CBs now use that press coverage in a crossing route..
Let's put it this way... I wasn't high on Ruggs coming out but Smith would have been the first WR taken if he was in last years class.

He's the best WR they have had since Julio imo.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
AGAIN...

no one is saying to GO GET DeVonta... we who wont mind he being a 49er are just saying that IF HE'S THERE as the BPA on our LIST, then why draft for NEED??
AGAIN...

no one is saying to GO GET DeVonta... we who wont mind he being a 49er are just saying that IF HE'S THERE as the BPA on our LIST, then why draft for NEED??

I agree moon. We won't draft Smith as we have two solid starters. It's just shocking how many people are fine reaching for a position instead of getting the best players.
Share 49ersWebzone