There are 217 users in the forums

Kellen Mond-QB-Texas A&M

Damn, that was nice. Dude has a good arm. Fix the way he holds the ball, and it could be better.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 5, 2021 at 12:17 PM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Of the people saying no, how much have you actually watched Mond play or are you just seeing a mobile passer playing for A&M, thinking of Manziel and being like:

I saw some of the same exact sorts of comments back in the Dak Prescott thread back in the day. People just thought Tebow because of the system and shut off any opportunity for looking at the guy as an indvidual. Unlike Prescott, I don't think Mond is ready to start Day 1, nor would he need to.

At worst I think you get a decent backup with a large toolkit and a passer that can replicate everything that Mullens can do but is far better on the move, more advanced as a passer and creating plays out of nothing, on the other hand if you give him a couple years to improve his mechanics and study up on a pro playbook, you might wind up with a solid NFL starter. Even if you don't, he's not costing you a 1st or 2nd round pick to find out.

I am an aggie fan. Watched this dude for 4 years. I agree he took a ginormous leap this year but his floor was so low that he had nowhere to go but up.

He misses sooooo many open receivers it isn't even funny. If it's possible he throws more short passes than JG and Alex.

His accuracy improved this year but i attribute that to shorter passes and WAITING for guys to get open as opposed to throwing them open or anticipating.

He's a big hell no to me UNLESS he can be had in say 6th 7th round and the plan is to use him as a QB3 in a Taysom Hill type roll.

If we are drafting him to "groom" as a QB. HARD PASS
Originally posted by krizay:
Of the people saying no, how much have you actually watched Mond play or are you just seeing a mobile passer playing for A&M, thinking of Manziel and being like:

I saw some of the same exact sorts of comments back in the Dak Prescott thread back in the day. People just thought Tebow because of the system and shut off any opportunity for looking at the guy as an indvidual. Unlike Prescott, I don't think Mond is ready to start Day 1, nor would he need to.

At worst I think you get a decent backup with a large toolkit and a passer that can replicate everything that Mullens can do but is far better on the move, more advanced as a passer and creating plays out of nothing, on the other hand if you give him a couple years to improve his mechanics and study up on a pro playbook, you might wind up with a solid NFL starter. Even if you don't, he's not costing you a 1st or 2nd round pick to find out.

I am an aggie fan. Watched this dude for 4 years. I agree he took a ginormous leap this year but his floor was so low that he had nowhere to go but up.

He misses sooooo many open receivers it isn't even funny. If it's possible he throws more short passes than JG and Alex.

His accuracy improved this year but i attribute that to shorter passes and WAITING for guys to get open as opposed to throwing them open or anticipating.

He's a big hell no to me UNLESS he can be had in say 6th 7th round and the plan is to use him as a QB3 in a Taysom Hill type roll.

Hey look at this....we agree
Originally posted by GEEK:

Shanahan alone will like Mond's quick release. He's also done a nice job incrementally improving YoY.

Garoppolo - Rosen - Mund is probably a realistic 1,2,3 depth chart entering training camp w. Mullens signing a vet min contract and being placed on PUP.

I've had enough of Nick "the Pick" Mullens

Every QB that goes in the late 3rd and later is going to have significant weaknesses and limitations. Ultimately you try to focus on what guys are able to do right, the things they excel at and if those are good enough, then you take a shot, especially if you believe that you can coach up the rest.

For Prescott, there were major concerns about his deep passing accuracy, his ability to function in a pro style offense and other issues. What I liked most about him is that he showed tremendous progress as a passer from his junior to senior year. That doesn't happen by accident and is indicative of a strong work ethic. Beyond that he had a quick release, good mobility and his leadership quotient was off the charts with teammates and the community just completely smitten by the guy. There was a lot that was wrong with him, but also a lot of things that were right and the wrong was all stuff that could be coached up and improved upon.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/187077-how-nfl-teams-missed-dak-prescott/

Likewise with Mond I see a lot that is right. He gets the ball out of his hand quickly, he can extend plays with his mobility, he's improved his accuracy and ball placement significantly from previous years, he's tough and not afraid to take a shot to complete a pass, he appears to be well liked and respected as a leader and has had flashes of being a very good quarterback. You can draft someone like him solely as a backup and to use in Taysom Hill like packages where he can be a dual threat near the goalline or to give defenses different looks to adjust to. If he continues to progress as a passer then you might wind up with a very good QB on your hands but even if he doesn't advance from being a backup and a package QB, you're still getting good value if he's a 4th rounder or lower.

I see a lot of similarities between Mond and Prescott as college passers. Dak to me was a better prospect overall but just like many of the objections to him had absolutely nothing to do with him as an individual, I see Mond getting bashed more than some other passers largely due to the jersey and because of a high profile former quarterback that fizzled out in the NFL.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Every QB that goes in the late 3rd and later is going to have significant weaknesses and limitations. Ultimately you try to focus on what guys are able to do right, the things they excel at and if those are good enough, then you take a shot, especially if you believe that you can coach up the rest.

For Prescott, there were major concerns about his deep passing accuracy, his ability to function in a pro style offense and other issues. What I liked most about him is that he showed tremendous progress as a passer from his junior to senior year. That doesn't happen by accident and is indicative of a strong work ethic. Beyond that he had a quick release, good mobility and his leadership quotient was off the charts with teammates and the community just completely smitten by the guy. There was a lot that was wrong with him, but also a lot of things that were right and the wrong was all stuff that could be coached up and improved upon.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/187077-how-nfl-teams-missed-dak-prescott/

Likewise with Mond I see a lot that is right. He gets the ball out of his hand quickly, he can extend plays with his mobility, he's improved his accuracy and ball placement significantly from previous years, he's tough and not afraid to take a shot to complete a pass, he appears to be well liked and respected as a leader and has had flashes of being a very good quarterback. You can draft someone like him solely as a backup and to use in Taysom Hill like packages where he can be a dual threat near the goalline or to give defenses different looks to adjust to. If he continues to progress as a passer then you might wind up with a very good QB on your hands but even if he doesn't advance from being a backup and a package QB, you're still getting good value if he's a 4th rounder or lower.

I see a lot of similarities between Mond and Prescott as college passers. Dak to me was a better prospect overall but just like many of the objections to him had absolutely nothing to do with him as an individual, I see Mond getting bashed more than some other passers largely due to the jersey and because of a high profile former quarterback that fizzled out in the NFL.

You clearly have more confidence in him than I do!

I for one am glad I no longer have to watch him QB my team anymore

I´m tired of guys thinking that a QB is very good only because they saw a couple of clips with him making a good throw.
Originally posted by Monsterniner:

I´m tired of guys thinking that a QB is very good only because they saw a couple of clips with him making a good throw.

What about those who've watched several games and simply have a different opinion on a player?

[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 30, 2021 at 1:42 PM ]
Originally posted by AsianJeff:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Kellen is a goofy ass looking dude with those shoulder pads and the way he holds the ball. Who the heck taught him this?

Reminds me of the Tedford QBs back in the day

Mond is dealing out there. Hell yes, I'm using a day 3 pick on this dude if he's there. 49ers can easily double dip QBs if they grab one early and then Mond late.
[ Edited by Heroism on Jan 30, 2021 at 1:48 PM ]

• Shifty
  • Veteran

I haven't watched nearly as much as you, but in the 5 games I have seen he does miss wide open receivers and sometimes the passes leave you looking like

A late round draft pick? Sure. But I agree that I'm not a fan of his until the 6th round as a number 3 developmental QB
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I haven't watched nearly as much as you, but in the 5 games I have seen he does miss wide open receivers and sometimes the passes leave you looking like

A late round draft pick? Sure. But I agree that I'm not a fan of his until the 6th round as a number 3 developmental QB

He's an easy 4th rounder for me, might go late 3rd even. I feel like a lot of people are looking at games from previous seasons. He showed a lot of improvement this past season. He needs to sit for a year or two to fix his throwing motion but man he's got some nice upside. I see a guy with a similar ceiling as Dak Prescott and with similar deficiencies coming out of college although Dak's leadership quotient was way off the charts.

Get him with a good QB coach in an offense that utilizes a lot of bootlegs and moving pockets, playaction...etc.

Senior bowl mvp. 👀
So what's his deal?
Share 49ersWebzone