LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 275 users in the forums

Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati

• zero
  • Veteran
Sorry if there's already a thread floating around here for him, but this guy looks like someone who's rising and is in the mold of a Trey Lance/Zach Wilson while playing arguably the same level of competition. I'm not a draft pundit at all, so what am missing about this guy for him not to be included in QB's we're considering.

[ Edited by zero on Nov 11, 2020 at 6:27 AM ]
He for sure has the potential. Mechanics and footwork still need development, especially when under pressure. I think the reason why his name hasn't really come up is because everyone is focused on the 1st round prospects LOL.
  • zero
  • Veteran
From yahoo sports

WinnersCincinnati QB Desmond Ridder

The QB hierarchy has been altered a bit since our summer projections, and one name in that mix we don't want to overlook is Ridder. He's going to be a bit polarizing in some circles, but Ridder possesses the size, live arm and athletic skill to be a very interesting prospect.

Ridder turned in a big first half in Cincinnati's dominant win over Houston, as the Bearcats kept rolling on their impressive season. They're a tough team to defend because of Ridder's dual-threat skill, and I believe he's helped his cause out as a prospect quite a bit this season.

Ridder's final passing numbers (17 of 27 passing, 162 yards, one touchdown, one interception) don't tell the whole story of how effective he was Saturday.

The 6-foot-4, 207-pound passer sat most of the fourth quarter, had two very catchable passes dropped and his INT came on an end-of-half Hail Mary. Ridder also ran for 103 yards and three scores. Many of those yards came on scrambles, not designed runs, when there were no open receivers.

I see Ridder somewhere on the Colin Kaepernick-Ryan Tannehill spectrum as a prospect, lacking the elite arm strength of Kaepernick and Tannehill's passing rhythm. But with continued reps and development, Ridder could be a very interesting developmental passer.

There are three tiers shaping up for the 2021 class. At the top, to me, are Clemson's Trevor Lawrence, Ohio State's Justin Fields and BYU's Zach Wilson, in some order. Just below them is North Dakota State's Trey Lance (although he might be in the uppermost category for some). Then there are Florida's Kyle Trask and Alabama's Mac Jones a tier below that.

Ridder could jump into that Trask-Jones tier, I believe. He's not quite as polished as Jones and lacks their deeper passing touch and consistency now. But count me in on Ridder, who has become the prospect many were hoping Texas A&M's Kellen Mond — who earned some second- and third-round grades this summer — would be.

This sounds about right, but if Cincinnati keeps winning and somehow ends up in the Playoff, I'll be watching.
Will get some spotlight on today's nationally televised game. Excited to see what he does. He's a guy that I would think about if we missed out on the top 4 Lawrence, Wilson, Fields and Lance. Initially I thought he could be available later on day 2, but if he keeps it up and his team keeps winning then I'm not so sure anymore
Guy looked really good out there tonight. Liked what I saw all game long
  • zero
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:

Yes sir, he's playing his way into the first round at this point.
Originally posted by zero:
Originally posted by tohara3:

Yes sir, he's playing his way into the first round at this point.

Guys like this is who I'm starting to look at as young QBs that we ACTUALLY have a chance to draft. The Zach Wilson and Justin Fields talk is fun but more fantasy than reality as guys we can draft. I think Lance falls a little in the draft but probably not far enough for the 49ers to draft. Also have to look at Jones and Trask to because again they will be their later in the 1st rd or on day 2 of the draft where the 49ers are more likely going to be drafting a QB.
[ Edited by Ark49er on Nov 14, 2020 at 12:10 PM ]
Ridder has promise, but is rather take the gamble on corral
At this point, I'm pretty much sold on Ridder. I don't think we'll pick high enough for Lawrence, Lance, or Fields, and I'm honestly not really sold on Wilson. In a division of Russel Wilson and Kyler Murray, we need a QB who can go toe to toe and deliver the same high level of play and, from what I see, Ridder provides that. He has a great arm, aggressive, athletic and seems very determined from his interviews. I believe he'll overcome his slight accuracy issues.
This kid is growing on me weekly as Wilson destroys everyone weekly and I start facing the reality of us not getting him . Ridder is such a smooth athlete and can be special if he goes to the right team and further develops the mental side of the position and can be more consistently accurate

Originally posted by 49ers808:
This kid is growing on me weekly as Wilson destroys everyone weekly and I start facing the reality of us not getting him . Ridder is such a smooth athlete and can be special if he goes to the right team and further develops the mental side of the position and can be more consistently accurate

Yeah we have virtually no chance at Wilson. Washington bound baby. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if he jumps Fields and is the 2nd QB taken at this rate

Now on to the more realistic options out there. I'm at work right now so I'm missing Ridder is action right now. Any and all breakdowns of his game would be much appreciated.
Desmond Kaepernick. Nice arm, terrific athleticism, poor feel for the position, lacks pocket presence and touch on his throws, he's just a bundle of physical tools that lacks polish. This is a guy that you draft hoping he fully figures out how to quarterback somewhere along the way.
I'd actually love if we could take a 2nd round QB to sit for a year if the top QBs are out of the question. Get a potential QB of the future, arguably a better backup from a talent perspective, and we can take the top corner,safety, IOL, or even move down and pick up extra picks.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Desmond Kaepernick. Nice arm, terrific athleticism, poor feel for the position, lacks pocket presence and touch on his throws, he's just a bundle of physical tools that lacks polish. This is a guy that you draft hoping he fully figures out how to quarterback somewhere along the way.

I wish Kap had sat longer. Till like 2014. Add in some real QB coaching and more time for Alex to mentor.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I'd actually love if we could take a 2nd round QB to sit for a year if the top QBs are out of the question. Get a potential QB of the future, arguably a better backup from a talent perspective, and we can take the top corner,safety, IOL, or even move down and pick up extra picks.

AFTER today, I personally think that Mac Jones benefits from Alabama talent and he'll be there late 1st all the way up to mid 2nd..
Share 49ersWebzone