There are 224 users in the forums

Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati

Originally posted by zero:
Sorry if there's already a thread floating around here for him, but this guy looks like someone who's rising and is in the mold of a Trey Lance/Zach Wilson while playing arguably the same level of competition. I'm not a draft pundit at all, so what am missing about this guy for him not to be included in QB's we're considering.

I like his highlights. Wish he was a little more polished as a passer as- it seems to me after just watching that lil bit- he doesn't really step into his throws but just flicks it out there ala jimmy. Plenty of arm though and and he runs really well. cinci is undefeated still ya?

Im interested.
[ Edited by Bitplayer on Nov 28, 2020 at 12:31 AM ]
Solid first drive against Georgia. Sounds like Georgia is missing quite a few starters, though.
[ Edited by PowderdToastMn on Jan 1, 2021 at 9:40 AM ]
Playing well so far today.

I could see the Niners moving down in the first, picking up an additional 2nd, and using that extra pick on Ridder. He would have to sit 2 years and learn but that could pay big dividends.
At this stage, Id like to see what he could do with 2 more years of eligibility. This year doesnt count towards eligibility, right?
[ Edited by Temecula49ersfan on Jan 1, 2021 at 12:07 PM ]
Originally posted by Temecula49ersfan:
At this stage, Id like to see what he could do with 2 more years of eligibility. This year doesnt count towards eligibility, right?

Im pretty sure this year isnt counted. Dont quote me though.

Anyways he looked pretty good till his LT head butted dude and got replaced by a false starting turn style. If he comes out somebody is gonna like him but I agree he needs work still
Originally posted by Bitplayer:
I like his highlights. Wish he was a little more polished as a passer as- it seems to me after just watching that lil bit- he doesn't really step into his throws but just flicks it out there ala jimmy. Plenty of arm though and and he runs really well. cinci is undefeated still ya?

Im interested.

This is the guy folks
I think we stick with Jimmy next year and trade up for a QB with our 2nd pick. If Mac Jones slides, perhaps he could be the guy. Track maybe...

Ridder is also someone that could be a target. He's tough, athletic, and protects the ball. He carried Cincy this year and was a few seconds away from completing an undefeated season. Kyle liked CJ for his toughness. Similarly, Ridder didn't have the best protection in college, but he was able to use his legs to get out of trouble and keep the chains moving, despite being under pressure.

Guessing which QB Kyle will like carries some rare odds. Who knows? I do like Ridder though.
My interest is piqued
You watch him and you think to yourself "Why isn't he a top 10 pick?" He's got plus athleticism and his arm is top notch. You see great throws. One of the better deep ball throwers you'll see. He can run.

Then you look at his production and it doesn't add up. I mean really. This dude almost lost the starting job in spring ball. He only completed 55% in 2019 with 18 TD and 9 INT. He's had a better year this year but still only 19 TD and 6 INT in 10 games.

I don't know what to think. He's better off going back for another year.
Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:
You watch him and you think to yourself "Why isn't he a top 10 pick?" He's got plus athleticism and his arm is top notch. You see great throws. One of the better deep ball throwers you'll see. He can run.

Then you look at his production and it doesn't add up. I mean really. This dude almost lost the starting job in spring ball. He only completed 55% in 2019 with 18 TD and 9 INT. He's had a better year this year but still only 19 TD and 6 INT in 10 games.

I don't know what to think. He's better off going back for another year.

I watch him and I see a guy with extremely inconsistent accuracy, who doesn't have great touch on the football, his pocket movement is kind of clunky and not smooth, to me he's just a run of the mill college QB with some nice tools for the next level but a long ways from being a finished product. He's gotten better but would be best served by staying in college another year and continuing to work on his deficiencies if he wants to maximize his draft slotting.

Looks like hes returning for his senior season.

Right move
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Right move

Could be the top QB next year ? Idk much about Howell and Slovis I'm not sold on.
  • zero
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Right move

it really is. I think he's top 10 talent next year.
Originally posted by zero:
it really is. I think he's top 10 talent next year.

I don't know about all of that but I think he made a really smart decision. He was probably a 3rd rounder or lower in this draft, if he puts some work in and shows real improvement then he could definitely be in the discussion as a potential first rounder but next years QB class is shaping up to be pretty stacked overall.
Share 49ersWebzone