There are 165 users in the forums

Trey lance QB NDSU

Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
You guys are in love with this dude lol

Just finished watching that. Not really too impressive, I think he's closer to 6'1" than he is 6'3".. probably a high 4.5 low 4.6. Arm and mechanics look fine, but he's playing against trash competition. Almost all those throws were to wide open receivers. He does seem to have good touch on the deep ball.

With as much as yall have been talking about him, I expected to see something special. Justin Fields does what he does at a higher level against better competition.

You're absolutely right about Justin Fields tape is very impressive and should be drafted over Lance. He looks like he understands defenses and route combinations more than Lance at this stage, but he also has a lot more talent around him.

But what excites me about Lance is the deep ball accuracy and arch (similar to Russel Wilson) combined obviously with his athleticism. I like that he's comfortable behind center and good on play action.

I think of a guy like Josh Allen who many of us hated his tape myself included. But the physical traits were there. He just had to be molded in the NFL and now he's playing like an MVP because he was drafted in the right situation.

I had Mahomes higher than Watson but thought Watson wouldn't be that good. I'm not always right and QB scouting is not my strength.

I admit when I'm wrong and I might be this time.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 40,182
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
I see the damage control is starting already.

I bet if he had an incredible game you would be in here singing his praises. It works both ways.

Well he has 268 total yards and 4 TDs... So... No need for damage control.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
You guys are in love with this dude lol

Just finished watching that. Not really too impressive, I think he's closer to 6'1" than he is 6'3".. probably a high 4.5 low 4.6. Arm and mechanics look fine, but he's playing against trash competition. Almost all those throws were to wide open receivers. He does seem to have good touch on the deep ball.

With as much as yall have been talking about him, I expected to see something special. Justin Fields does what he does at a higher level against better competition.

You're absolutely right about Justin Fields tape is very impressive and should be drafted over Lance. He looks like he understands defenses and route combinations more than Lance at this stage, but he also has a lot more talent around him.

But what excites me about Lance is the deep ball accuracy and arch (similar to Russel Wilson) combined obviously with his athleticism. I like that he's comfortable behind center and good on play action.

I think of a guy like Josh Allen who many of us hated his tape myself included. But the physical traits were there. He just had to be molded in the NFL and now he's playing like an MVP because he was drafted in the right situation.

I had Mahomes higher than Watson but thought Watson wouldn't be that good. I'm not always right and QB scouting is not my strength.

I admit when I'm wrong and I might be this time.

Excellent post. His deep ball does seem to be Russell Wilson-ish...
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
I see the damage control is starting already.

I bet if he had an incredible game you would be in here singing his praises. It works both ways.

Well he has 268 total yards and 4 TDs... So... No need for damage control.

268 yards with 4 TDs and 2 turnovers against a garbage team. Not that impressive. Believe it or not, I don't care about the numbers. But after seeing him hyped up on this website, I thought the highlights provided would blow me away.

He's clearly very talented, but I'm not seeing Mahomes combined with baby Jesus quite yet.
Being from Montana NDSU is on TV alot so I have seen many games for many years. Great program which does nothing but win. Lance is a very good talent with a lot of room to grow. Huge upside to him as a player. I personally think he will be drafted higher than most people would think.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 40,182
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
268 yards with 4 TDs and 2 turnovers against a garbage team. Not that impressive. Believe it or not, I don't care about the numbers. But after seeing him hyped up on this website, I thought the highlights provided would blow me away.

He's clearly very talented, but I'm not seeing Mahomes combined with baby Jesus quite yet.

He carried the team in the 4th quarter. Was 4-for-5 for 56 yards and 1 TD. It should of been 5-5 with 2 TD if not for a WR drop on a great deep pass.
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
You guys are in love with this dude lol

Just finished watching that. Not really too impressive, I think he's closer to 6'1" than he is 6'3".. probably a high 4.5 low 4.6. Arm and mechanics look fine, but he's playing against trash competition. Almost all those throws were to wide open receivers. He does seem to have good touch on the deep ball.

With as much as yall have been talking about him, I expected to see something special. Justin Fields does what he does at a higher level against better competition.

No they play Div 1A and this school has won like4-5 straight championships the comp.they play against has talent also not trash as you say do some research about their conference Missouri Valley that conference has put quiet a few players in the NFL.....
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
You guys are in love with this dude lol

Just finished watching that. Not really too impressive, I think he's closer to 6'1" than he is 6'3".. probably a high 4.5 low 4.6. Arm and mechanics look fine, but he's playing against trash competition. Almost all those throws were to wide open receivers. He does seem to have good touch on the deep ball.

With as much as yall have been talking about him, I expected to see something special. Justin Fields does what he does at a higher level against better competition.

No they play Div 1A and this school has won like4-5 straight championships the comp.they play against has talent also not trash as you say do some research about their conference Missouri Valley that conference has put quiet a few players in the NFL.....
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Heroism:
First time watching him today...💩

Go watch him all last yr...one game with all the b******t going on meh. Talent is there.

X2 I live in their conference 15 miles east of SIU Go Salukies
North Dakota State has a great foundation in coaching play calling they are fundamentally Sound they are in the Championship games every year for the last 6 years in a row and they play good schools in the playoffs no trash teams..to sum it up Kid can Play.
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Kid is playing ONE game this yr...relax.

Talent is there, I'm not saying you're gonna play him day 1 in the NFL. Similar to Mahomes he's raw with massive upside talent.

I see the damage control is starting already.

I bet if he had an incredible game you would be in here singing his praises. It works both ways.

Nah I would have said it's one game...clam your tits bud.

Relax
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
268 yards with 4 TDs and 2 turnovers against a garbage team. Not that impressive. Believe it or not, I don't care about the numbers. But after seeing him hyped up on this website, I thought the highlights provided would blow me away.

He's clearly very talented, but I'm not seeing Mahomes combined with baby Jesus quite yet.

Hyped up? We're just talking about prospects...man did Lance run over your dog or something?

Originally posted by Waterbear:
You're absolutely right about Justin Fields tape is very impressive and should be drafted over Lance. He looks like he understands defenses and route combinations more than Lance at this stage, but he also has a lot more talent around him.

But what excites me about Lance is the deep ball accuracy and arch (similar to Russel Wilson) combined obviously with his athleticism. I like that he's comfortable behind center and good on play action.

I think of a guy like Josh Allen who many of us hated his tape myself included. But the physical traits were there. He just had to be molded in the NFL and now he's playing like an MVP because he was drafted in the right situation.

I had Mahomes higher than Watson but thought Watson wouldn't be that good. I'm not always right and QB scouting is not my strength.

I admit when I'm wrong and I might be this time.

Literally all I've been saying...I don't think he should or will get drafting over Fields or Lawrence. Never said anything of the sorts.

He's great with play-action has a elite arm, pretty sure Kyle could get the most out of him.

You know I got no problem admitting when I'm wrong...pretty early to say anything either way on him or any draft prospect. The team he gets drafted too will be big.
Dude is overrated IMO
Originally posted by wailers15:
Dude is overrated IMO

Good drop him right to SF in say the 2nd rd
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Heroism:
First time watching him today...💩

Go watch him all last yr...one game with all the b******t going on meh. Talent is there.

It will be interesting to see how people evaluate him. I admit I'm intrigued. I certainly wouldn't get rid of Jimmy but if we had a chance at him and Kyle was good with it(obviously a need or what's the point in talking about it) him sitting a couple of years behind Jimmy would be ideal for both. It would push Jimmy to play his best football and allow Trey to mature and pick up this complex offense before he has to get out there.

But this one game thing is a tough eval. Did the pressure get to him? I think if I'm calling the shot I'm choosing to concentrate on how he finished the game. Early adversity, knowing what's on the line and in the end he got it done. Wasn't pretty but it's not always pretty. Some games you have to salvage. Mahomes literally just did that the other week vs the Chargers.

I have a feeling people will start picking him apart but not sure when it's all said and done we'll be in position to draft him.
This is what I wrote in the QB thread:

Man I gotta admit, watching Russ and Mahomes shred the league being able to make plays when the plays break down makes me want one of those. Just imagining what YAC monsters we have in Kittle, Deebo and Aiyuk and what they'd be able to do with it. If Fields or Trey Lance was in striking distance, I'd pull the page of KC's book and trade up to get um. Let them sit like Mahomes did behind Alex, and if Jimmy is still playing good, let him play out his contract with someone waiting in the wings. If someone offers up a trade and Lance is ready, ship him out. Both Mullens and Beathard is not under contract after this season. Of course I will change my mind if Jimmy brings home #6 for us this year
Share 49erswebzone