LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

If Derrick Brown is available at 13 would you draft him?

If Derrick Brown is available at 13 would you draft him?

Originally posted by Heroism:
No more IDL in the first. Want an IDL? Grab them later. They're plenty available.

Imagine being the Packers who have drafted defense in the first round since 2005. And still have a s**tty D.

#FreeJaire
Originally posted by NYniner85:
No more IDL in the first. Want an IDL? Grab them later. They're plenty available.

Hahaha YES! And I believe lynch and Co. are thinking like that as well.

They brought in Rocklock and talked to Murchison.

#Rocklock #draftsteal #hashtag
The need for receiver is a bigger need in my opinion. We can see what DJ Jones, Solly, Givens and whatever free agent they bring in can do in the middle.
For anyone crying about how we traded away DeFo, you would expect them to be happy if we could replace him with the top IDL available in the draft. It would be an easier decision if all three top WR's were off the board as well. Just saying.
[ Edited by m_brockalexander on Mar 24, 2020 at 1:00 PM ]
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
For anyone crying about how we traded away DeFo, you would expect them to be happy if we could replace him with the top IDL available in the draft. It would be an easier decision if all three top WR's were off the board as well. Just saying.

The chances a rookie IDL at 13 becomes even half as good in the NFL as Defo is not good. I'm not rolling the dice anymore on IDL. IDL ostensibly have one of the most difficult transitions from college to NFL. They rarely become monster pass rushers out of the gate. There are a lot of reasons for this, but the biggest being the intrinsic numbers disadvantage of playing inside.

Now, if you want to present me with an elite EDGE prospect, that's a different story.
[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 24, 2020 at 1:28 PM ]
I don't know how anyone is answering this without knowing who's on the board. Derrick Brown is in my top 13, but he is not #1. So the answer can only be maybe

But I would say that I would not take him over any of the top three WR's. If all of them are gone, I'd heavily consider taking him or Kinlaw assuming Young (duh), Okudah, and Simmons are off the board.

The chances a rookie IDL at 13 becomes even half as good in the NFL as Defo is not good. I'm not rolling the dice anymore on IDL. IDL ostensibly have one of the most difficult transitions from college to NFL. They rarely become monster pass rushers out of the gate. There are a lot of reasons for this, but the biggest being the intrinsic numbers disadvantage of playing inside.

Now, if you want to present me with an elite EDGE prospect, that's a different story.

That makes sense, but the Niners don't need a prime edge rusher with Ford, Bosa, and Blair already signed up. There are a couple of 2nd round guys in Madubuike and Blacklock that would be good rotational guys to supplement DJ Jones and Julian Taylor. Also McTelvin Agim in the middle rounds would be good for the Niners, too.
When I see guys like Grady Jarrett and DJ jones getting drafted on day 3, I don't feel any need to draft an interior DL early.

IDL are also extremely scheme specific, so the 49ers can find an undersized, explosive penetrating DT waaaay later.
Originally posted by Vai5684:
Originally posted by Scottie15:
No, but i think our offense was the reason we lost the Superbowl.

I disagree. Its was the play calling and the refs.

The refs LOL. Ok I'm done. Lock this thread up.
When I see guys like Grady Jarrett and DJ jones getting drafted on day 3, I don't feel any need to draft an interior DL early.

IDL are also extremely scheme specific, so the 49ers can find an undersized, explosive penetrating DT waaaay later.

I don't see DT being a top need this year not one person will replace Defo but we should have enough depth to cover the position.
My top 2 picks would be WR and CB. WR is obvious but we are one injury to either Sherman or Eman from being in real trouble.
I think Sherman has 2 years tops of being the guy he is now we need to prepare for that.
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Well that's a different question and makes more sense.
I say yes. Don't get me wrong, I'd be more than happy with any of the top 3 WRs but if Brown slides, I take him. He's a different type of DL than we've had in the past. Not only does he plug up the middle, he's got some great hands and has pass rush ability. Also, Brown collapses the pocket and would make life much easier for Bosa/Arm/Ford.

Also if we miss on a WR at #13, we can still trade down from #30 and grab a stud WR.
[ Edited by pete98146 on Mar 24, 2020 at 4:42 PM ]
Lol at this thread. Talking about thomas and ford like they are for real. Thomas is avoiding contact and ford wont give us 300 snaps. Lol.

If a stud dl is available we have to think about it.

We need oline more though.
Share 49ersWebzone