LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 199 users in the forums

Javon Kinlaw-DT-South Carolina

I figured that we might as well have a thread since people are bringing him up so much. I think he's unlikely for the 49ers since he probably won't be there at #13 and even if he is, not sure that the 49ers gave up one DT in Buckner just to go and draft another rather than working on another area of the roster but anything is possible at this point and if he's there at #13 then it'd be very likely that he's BPA.

Kinlaw is a guy with phenomenal physical ability and natural talent, very good athleticism for his size, quick off the snap and a handful to handle for any offensive lineman. Different kind of cat from Buckner but can absolutely dominate with power off the snap. I think you could put him at either DT spot but 3T is likely his best fit though he does offer versatility to play 5T as well. If you're looking for a penetrating DL that is frequently getting into the opponent's backfield, Kinlaw fits the bill.

Way to throw a wrench into the WR discussion.

So Kinlaw and Reagor/Shenault/Jefferson/Mims
or
Jeudy/Ruggs/Lamb and Blacklock/Espensa

Pretty tough call IMO.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Guy looks like freak of nature, 6-6 over 300lbs, long arms, does not look fat
I'm just getting into the tape, but I can already see I've got a monster on my hands.

That said, I'm not sure he's what they're looking for at the 3tech. This is one huge dude. One of the reasons I think they moved on from Buckner is that he wasn't a great fit, either. He was too damn big for what he was being asked to do. It really showed against the run. The Niners want someone short, squatty, explosive and slippery from that spot. Penetration trumps everything.
Originally posted by Heroism:
I'm just getting into the tape, but I can already see I've got a monster on my hands.

That said, I'm not sure he's what they're looking for at the 3tech. This is one huge dude. One of the reasons I think they moved on from Buckner is that he wasn't a great fit, either. He was too damn big for what he was being asked to do. It really showed against the run. The Niners want someone short, squatty, explosive and slippery from that spot. Penetration trumps everything.

youre not serious are you? they flat out couldnt afford Buckner,since when is an all pro not a fit?
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
youre not serious are you? they flat out couldnt afford Buckner,since when is an all pro not a fit?

https://www.hookedonphonics.com/

Then reread what I posted.

Then reread what I posted.

you said they moved on from Buckner because he wasnt a good fit and too big, what am i missing?

Buckner wasn't a great fit. smh I've heard it all now.

Regarding Kinlaw I'll be surprised if he makes it to 13 as well.
you said they moved on from Buckner because he wasnt a good fit and too big, what am i missing?

Yeah, that's not what I wrote. One of the reason=/=the reason, and I explicitly stated in the run game. Defo is a beast as pass rusher in any scheme because pass rush is pass rush

Defo was drafted to play in an okie front from a head-up alignment where he was asked to control the point of attack. That's a 180 from what Kocurek asks of his 3tech. This is a penetrating scheme. They want those interior guys splitting gaps, getting skinny, and avoiding being washed down. That's not what Defo does. It's one of the reasons our run defense struggled mightily at times this season.
[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 17, 2020 at 10:38 AM ]
Originally posted by SFrush:

I swear folks come up with the most bizarre nonsense. Yeah sure lets trade an all pro because hes too tall and big and doesnt fit yet made pro bowls and was an all pro.

Originally posted by SFrush:

Yeah, Hero, I can't really touch that one. Buckner may not have possessed the "typical" scheme-specific traits across the board, but he was such a phenomenal player that he really could fit any scheme whether it was 3-4 of 4-3 over/under/W9. I don't think they moved away from Buck for any other reason than being able to afford him and keep other pieces intact.

When Hero finds out we are going to be drafting a D-lineman

Originally posted by Hysterikal:
When Hero finds out we are going to be drafting a D-lineman

Give me an edge player over an interior guy, tho.

Yeah, that's not what I wrote. One of the reason=/=the reason, and I explicitly stated in the run game. Defo is a beast as pass rusher in any scheme because pass rush is pass rush

Defo was drafted to play in an okie front from a head-up alignment where he was asked to control the point of attack. That's a 180 from what Kocurek asks of his 3tech. This is a penetrating scheme. They want those interior guys splitting gaps, getting skinny, and avoiding being washed down. That's not what Defo does. It's the reason our run defense struggled mightily at times this season.

so it had NOTHING to do he wanted 21 mil per when we had other guys to resign and strapped for cash? Defo was the reason our d struggled at times huh? Our best dlineman and a captain was the reason they struggled with the run at times? Sorry dont buy it, you dont trade studs like a Buckner when hes clearly one of the best dlinemen in the league because he doent "fit" you trade guys like that because A theyre problems on and off the field and B they want too much money that the team cant afford and it was for sure B because we all knew he was a great leader on and off the field
so it had NOTHING to do he wanted 21 mil per when we had other guys to resign and strapped for cash?

You really do have a reading impediment, don't you?

[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 17, 2020 at 10:40 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone