LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 214 users in the forums

Bosa or Williams, we need a SAM

Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
That's why I think we get younger and faster at SAM, I'd go second or third round looking for my guy.

A defender that can cover well, blitz when needed, and set the edge of tasked with it.

It seems like Malcom Smith is a okay with everyone here in the Zone, but I'm not sold on him.

No one is sold on Malcolm Smith or Mark Nzechoa, it's just that no one cares about the SAM.

I think it's actually a case where it could do more harm than good to upgrade it. The better a player you have their the more likely they are to go try and make plays rather than just playing sound, the role is designed to filter plays towards other positions.

I do think Saleh is capable of adapting the role of we did have a better player, but it could just as easily go wrong.
I hope we draft Q and move Thomas to Sam.
Originally posted by Heroism:
We have Smith, and Nechouwzowa or what ever his name is at SAM....basically no one.

That's how trivial the SAM position is. I think punt protector is of greater value than an edge-setting, curl-flat defending SAM.

The fact that someone like Josh Allen can play SAM is a bonus, not a selling point.

yes sir!
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:

yup and we can throw Jimmy G in at FB too
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:

yup and we can throw Jimmy G in at FB too

Hey that was my idea!
We have Smith, and Nechouwzowa or what ever his name is at SAM....basically no one.

SAM is really the lowest priority position in the defense. You need a two down player that can cover decently and hold up against the run.
That's why I think we get younger and faster at SAM, I'd go second or third round looking for my guy.

A defender that can cover well, blitz when needed, and set the edge of tasked with it.

It seems like Malcom Smith is a okay with everyone here in the Zone, but I'm not sold on him.

I'm not sure you got what Hero was saying....the SAM position doesn't matter. you're basically setting the edge and occasionally in coverage. our starting SAM had 62 coverage snaps last yr.

The position overall is not important enough to throw a top 100 pick at it. You can have a backup LBer play that role. You can have Ford play it in base. It's not important. They just resigned that german dude to continue playing there.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 20, 2019 at 1:18 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

SAM is really the lowest priority position in the defense. You need a two down player that can cover decently and hold up against the run.

right, someone like Elijah lee could even rock it.

I'm not sure you got what Hero was saying....the SAM position doesn't matter. you're basically setting he edge and occasionally in coverage. our starting SAM had 62 coverage snaps last yr.

The position overall is not important enough to throw a top 100 pick at it. You an have a backup LBer play that role. You can have Ford play it in base. It's not important. They just resigned that german dude to continue playing there.

Yeah, we've got three of those base down monsters (not coincidentally, all ST's players too) in Mark Nzeocha, Malcolm Smith and Dekoda Watson.
  • thl408
Yes to all the posts saying SAM should be a deprioritized position. The position does not play enough to warrant a day 2 pick. Then consider that LAR plays out of 11 personnel nearly the entire game, ARI going spread chuck and duck with Kingsbury, and SEA playing 11 personnel so much, it further devalues the position against divisional teams.

I think the best way to find a SAM is to draft an athletic pass rusher day 3 and if he sucks at rushing the passer, convert him to SAM. You get to take a chance on a pass rusher, and if it doesn't work out you have an athletic LB built player you can teach zone drops. Similar to Eli Harold (although he was day 2) or Pita T.

One thing to monitor about the SAM position this season is how often the team is in wide9 alignment when in base personnel. When in wide 9 the SAM is now off the line of scrimmage and is no longer an edge setter. He'd be another off the ball LB. Dee Ford has never played like that.

Originally posted by thl408:
Yes to all the posts saying SAM should be a deprioritized position. The position does not play enough to warrant a day 2 pick. Then consider that LAR plays out of 11 personnel nearly the entire game, ARI going spread chuck and duck with Kingsbury, and SEA playing 11 personnel so much, it further devalues the position against divisional teams.

I think the best way to find a SAM is to draft an athletic pass rusher day 3 and if he sucks at rushing the passer, convert him to SAM. You get to take a chance on a pass rusher, and if it doesn't work out you have an athletic LB built player you can teach zone drops. Similar to Eli Harold (although he was day 2) or Pita T.

One thing to monitor about the SAM position this season is how often the team is in wide9 alignment when in base personnel. When in wide 9 the SAM is now off the line of scrimmage and is no longer an edge setter. He'd be another off the ball LB. Dee Ford has never played like that.

Do you think they'll change the D that much?
I figured all this wide 9 talk they have been giving was for obvious pass rushing situations?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

right, someone like Elijah lee could even rock it.

I was thinking this the other day, I think he's better suited then all others on the roster right now..
  • thl408
Originally posted by WolfTotem:
Originally posted by thl408:

Do you think they'll change the D that much?
I figured all this wide 9 talk they have been giving was for obvious pass rushing situations?

I don't think they will change that much. Meaning I think they'll still be playing their usual 4-3 Over/Under fronts most of the time (just my guess). I haven't the slightest clue how often they'll be in wide 9 when in base. They've been doing wide 9 stuff in nickel since 2017, that wouldn't be anything new.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
These dudes get it. ITS THE FULLBACK OF DEFENSE. /thread.

Our FB is much more important than SAM! Juice is the man!

LOL true. The sam is essentially a longsnapper.
Sam is a low priority compared to edge and Williams is so good he might be worth taking regardless of need.
Share 49ersWebzone