There are 225 users in the forums

Bosa or Williams, we need a SAM

Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
Sam is a low priority compared to edge and Williams is so good he might be worth taking regardless of need.

Agreed on all, I'm down with Bosa or Q
I get what people are saying here, but I'm pretty sure no one got my point, let me phrase it simply.

I don't like any of the options at SAM on this roster, reguardless of who we take, or what we do with the second pick, I think we will draft another line backer, to play the SAM.

From the reaction I got, it seems like the zone would explode if we took one on the first day.

For corralling a scrambling Smurf back like Willson, or chasing down LAs little Girly, I'd like to have a SAM who doesn't suck.

I'd also like it if he could hold up in pass coverage, and not be a liability.

I get he's not on the field every down, mostly because the guys we have there suck, but still I want winners
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I get what people are saying here, but I'm pretty sure no one got my point, let me phrase it simply.

I don't like any of the options at SAM on this roster, reguardless of who we take, or what we do with the second pick, I think we will draft another line backer, to play the SAM.

From the reaction I got, it seems like the zone would explode if we took one on the first day.

For corralling a scrambling Smurf back like Willson, or chasing down LAs little Girly, I'd like to have a SAM who doesn't suck.

I get he's not on the field every down, mostly because the guys we have there suck, but still I want winners

Yes I want great players at every position regardless if the position is meaningful. Issue is this team is starving for help at wayyy more impactful positions outside of a base SAM. Kwon was brought in to take care of RBs and spy QBs.

I'm still not sure you get it. The quality of our SAM LB has nothing to do with why our defense is in sub packages so often.

No, he's not on the field because he gets removed for a nickel corner %70 of the time. It has nothing to do with how talented our SAM lb's are.

This is the main reason I'm not a fan of taking Allen, even though he's a big time talent. His strengths that make him intriguing would be wasted in this scheme. If we want an upgrade at SAM it makes more sense to draft someone like Chase Winovich in the 3rd if he's there. Chase can also give us depth at edge behind Ford and possibly Bosa.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Nastastical:

No, he's not on the field because he gets removed for a nickel corner %70 of the time. It has nothing to do with how talented our SAM lb's are.

This is the main reason I'm not a fan of taking Allen, even though he's a big time talent. His strengths that make him intriguing would be wasted in this scheme. If we want an upgrade at SAM it makes more sense to draft someone like Chase Winovich in the 3rd if he's there. Chase can also give us depth at edge behind Ford and possibly Bosa.

Yep to defend against 11(One back, One TE, 3 Wr's) personnel which offenses are using a lot. A team like the Rams are in 11 personnel like 90 percent of their snaps.

That isn't why. You could have an awesome SAM LB, he's still getting yanked the majority of the time for a defensive back. It has nothing to do with talent, the SAM is just a very low priority position in this defense.

Again, the SAM isn't on the field against the Rams. The Rams play the entire game in 11 personnel, so the 49ers don't go in base very often.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Yes I want great players at every position regardless if the position is meaningful. Issue is this team is starving for help at wayyy more impactful positions outside of a base SAM. Kwon was brought in to take care of RBs and spy QBs.

Exactly. We aren't going to fill every need this offseason. However, if we answered our edge rush issues, receiver, and one of other position group once and for all, this will be a successful year.

We can go into 2020 looking for offensive tackles, SAM linebackers, and any other position that isn't up to par or regressed in 2019.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

That isn't why. You could have an awesome SAM LB, he's still getting yanked the majority of the time for a defensive back. It has nothing to do with talent, the SAM is just a very low priority position in this defense.

Not talking about a first round pick at Sam, unless its Allen, I thinking we aren't taking Allen, and some where later in the draft we look to improve at SAM. Im sure we will bring in either free agent talent, or a draft pick to compete. Im think 3-4th round. I was wondering if anyone else sees this coming, clearly its not a sexy topic, or cool topic. Me I just dont was stiffs out there at any position. Also, I think with a more talented SAM, we could stay in base, with someone like Warner, or Kwon taking the place of the safety in the coverage scheme. A more talented SAM would make the base defense more flexible. Still, I get it, Im weird, I also worry about full backs....glad to have a good one....he makes a difference in what we can do....he's good enough to change the way he's deployed....thats what talent does.

Deebo Samuel
Dru Samia
Drew Sample

Any/all will do.
Share 49ersWebzone