LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 251 users in the forums

Bosa or Williams, we need a SAM

I was thinking we need a SAM, if we pass on Allen at two, who would you take fill this spot, I'm thinking this kid looks pretty good and might be around in the second, or third round
http://walterfootball.com/draft2019OLB.php#FpGHuC2aLH693o3f.99
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
I was thinking we need a SAM, if we pass on Allen at two, who would you take fill this spot, I'm thinking this kid looks pretty good and might be around in the second, or third round

We don't need a SAM. They would have Bosa and Ford as the DE spots in Sub which is what we will play 70% of the time. In base they could and should (imo) play Ford there because he's better at setting the edge vs TEs compared to OTs on the line.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Yeah we'll be in our sub packages the majority of the game. I'm just not that concerned with who plays SAM.
[ Edited by Hopper on Mar 20, 2019 at 10:12 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:

We don't need a SAM. They would have Bosa and Ford as the DE spots in Sub which is what we will play 70% of the time. In base they could and should (imo) play Ford there because he's better at setting the edge vs TEs compared to OTs on the line.

We have Smith, and Nechouwzowa or what ever his name is at SAM....basically no one.

Ford can play SAM on base downs while Bosa plays Leo and AA plays the strong side. Chargers I believe do that with Joey and Melvin Ingram
We have Smith, and Nechouwzowa or what ever his name is at SAM....basically no one.

Which matters why? Go look at how they use our base SAM. Can you sent an edge? After that they sit on the bench and let ford/Bosa rush the passer.

That's how trivial the SAM position is. I think punt protector is of greater value than an edge-setting, curl-flat defending SAM.

The fact that someone like Josh Allen can play SAM is a bonus, not a selling point.
Originally posted by Heroism:

That's how trivial the SAM position is. I think punt protector is of greater value than an edge-setting, curl-flat defending SAM.

The fact that someone like Josh Allen can play SAM is a bonus, not a selling point.

Which matters why? Go look at how they use our base SAM. Can you sent an edge? After that they sit on the bench and let ford/Bosa rush the passer.

Originally posted by Hopper:
Yeah we'll be in our sub packages the majority of the game. I'm just not that concerned with who plays SAM.

These dudes get it. ITS THE FULLBACK OF DEFENSE. /thread.
I sometimes think football and other sports are getting too technical. I think we should go back to the time when the object was to get your best players on the field instead of what slot he fits into. If a guy is a player he can fit in and make plays. if he is so specialized that he only fits one position I'm not sure I want him. Bosa has said he can play either side and I'm sure many of these guys could as well if given the chance.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I sometimes think football and other sports are getting too technical. I think we should go back to the time when the object was to get your best players on the field instead of what slot he fits into. If a guy is a player he can fit in and make plays. if he is so specialized that he only fits one position I'm not sure I want him. Bosa has said he can play either side and I'm sure many of these guys could as well if given the chance.

Huh? Bosa is not a SAM LB. The SAM LB jobs are to set the edge and drop into the curl-flat zone. It's a run-defending, pass-coverage position.

It seems people think the SAM LB is an edge rusher, which is wrong. An edge rusher can have the ability to play SAM, but the SAM position itself is NOT an edge rusher. That's why Malcolm Smith and ASDHAD Nezochiandsafjs played there.

When the 49ers are in base playing cover 3 and a team throws against them, the edge rushers are the big end and leo.
[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 20, 2019 at 10:38 AM ]

I think when the draft is over Ford will be Sam in base...assuming you need a Sam out there at all.

Last year Nzeocha played 16.3% and Smith played 31% with some of those not even at Sam. Which is why taking Allen at 2 is far fetched for some.
just play that German dude. The SAM isn't even that relevant.
Maybe he means we need someone named Sam? I think that could be a good idea. Sam is a good name for a defensive player.
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
These dudes get it. ITS THE FULLBACK OF DEFENSE. /thread.

Our FB is much more important than SAM! Juice is the man!
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Huh? Bosa is not a SAM LB. The SAM LB jobs are to set the edge and drop into the curl-flat zone. It's a run-defending, pass-coverage position.

It seems people think the SAM LB is an edge rusher, which is wrong. An edge rusher can have the ability to play SAM, but the SAM position itself is NOT an edge rusher. That's why Malcolm Smith and ASDHAD Nezochiandsafjs played there.

When the 49ers are in base playing cover 3 and a team throws against them, the edge rushers are the big end and leo.

That's why I think we get younger and faster at SAM, I'd go second or third round looking for my guy.

A defender that can cover well, blitz when needed, and set the edge of tasked with it.

It seems like Malcom Smith is a okay with everyone here in the Zone, but I'm not sold on him.
Share 49ersWebzone