LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama

Originally posted by NYniner85:
I'm fine getting good football players at important needs. Joe is under contract for other yr, you gonna just throw Williams at guard for a yr? We are fine there. At some pt they gotta be able to develop a OT as well.

You can poo poo on Thomas but the kid was a good football player coming out of college. He had all the traits you want in a high pick. Just not the right position currently (that's a debate for another thread).

Like I said Williams is the only high end talent at OT and I don't see teams that most likely draft ahead of us passing on him. Wouldn't hate or love the pick.

Let's also not pretend like edge isn't a massive issue or not a very important position to take care of either

Oh I agree that it we might not see an immediate pay off for drafting Williams as we might an edge rusher, but I'm fairly certain that 10-15 years later when we still have a really good LT to bookend with McGlinchey that we wouldn't care one bit.

I'm yet too look really hard at this years edge prospects, but as of now Bosa is the only one I'd choose over Williams, and of course both may be off the board.
Two criteria that would need to happen that I would be ecstatic about picking Williams.

1) We get a proven pass rusher in FA

And

2) Williams can play G and be good at it. No point having a high first pick sitting on the bench until Staley retires in a year or two.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Alfienator:
Two criteria that would need to happen that I would be ecstatic about picking Williams.

And

2) Williams can play G and be good at it. No point having a high first pick sitting on the bench until Staley retires in a year or two.

We may get a "proven pass rusher in FA", but likely not a high end one. Those dudes are rarely made available. We may get a 8 sack guy -- but that would still necessitate a top 10 pick on a pass rusher.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by Alfienator:

And

We may get a "proven pass rusher in FA", but likely not a high end one. Those dudes are rarely made available. We may get a 8 sack guy -- but that would still necessitate a top 10 pick on a pass rusher.

necessitate is a strong word. And I disagree. Unless Bosa is available, you don't know that anyone else available with be a 10+ sack guy. I don't mind taking Jonah Williams. NOBODY is stopping the chiefs, rams, saint, or even the patriots. Monster line, monster running game, winning the time of possession is much more likely to slow those teams down, than a defensive secondary not named the legion of boom.
[ Edited by Stanley on Nov 9, 2018 at 10:20 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I'm fine getting good football players at important needs. Joe is under contract for other yr, you gonna just throw Williams at guard for a yr? We are fine there. At some pt they gotta be able to develop a OT as well.

You can poo poo on Thomas but the kid was a good football player coming out of college. He had all the traits you want in a high pick. Just not the right position currently (that's a debate for another thread).

Like I said Williams is the only high end talent at OT and I don't see teams that most likely draft ahead of us passing on him. Wouldn't hate or love the pick.

Let's also not pretend like edge isn't a massive issue or not a very important position to take care of either

Nobody is pretending the edge isnt an issue. It will be addressed. It's just a value thing.
Originally posted by hello49:
Don't look now, but 49ers are tied for 7th in the league in sacks with 24! I can see a real possibility that Lynch and the Niners brass may feel we are fine at the edge, or not desperate anymore for an ER, though still a need. It could make it more of a possibility they take BPA, with their first pick. Remember, no one can just come in and take Marsh's job!

If we are tied for 7th then that brings up another issue. It sounds like sack numbers are down and I'm guessing that up tempo offenses and getting the ball out quickly are somewhat negating the pass rush. Maybe the days of the 18-20 sack guys are going the way of big hits. If it is a real trend then the NFL will look like the Arena League just like college. Defense will be an afterthought with everyone trying to score every 3-4 minutes.
I'm not sure if he is a tackle at the next level. But in this scheme I could easily see him developing into a Top 3 guard, has the requisite technique, athleticism and motor.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
I'm not sure if he is a tackle at the next level. But in this scheme I could easily see him developing into a Top 3 guard, has the requisite technique, athleticism and motor.

Because of his height (not 6'7") or something else?
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

I'm also curious. He's one of the better tackle prospects coming out that I can remember
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

I wouldn't be shocked if he came in at 6'3" or 6'4" with arms that are average length or slightly above average. I think we'll have a better idea once the offseason gets going. I think he's a fantastic player, very polished and could step in and start at either guard or tackle Day 1.

Overall this looks to be a strong tackle class with lots of intriguing prospects early and late. If Williams measures out then I think he is the prohibitive favorite to be the first OL off the board.

I wouldn't be shocked if he came in at 6'3" or 6'4" with arms that are average length or slightly above average. I think we'll have a better idea once the offseason gets going. I think he's a fantastic player, very polished and could step in and start at either guard or tackle Day 1.

Overall this looks to be a strong tackle class with lots of intriguing prospects early and late. If Williams measures out then I think he is the prohibitive favorite to be the first OL off the board.

That's a bit Baalke, the Patriots were going to play Wynn at Tackle after a great Pre-Season. IMO if you're good enough you're long enough.
Originally posted by Stanley:
necessitate is a strong word. And I disagree. Unless Bosa is available, you don't know that anyone else available with be a 10+ sack guy. I don't mind taking Jonah Williams. NOBODY is stopping the chiefs, rams, saint, or even the patriots. Monster line, monster running game, winning the time of possession is much more likely to slow those teams down, than a defensive secondary not named the legion of boom.

Out of all those teams you meationed only the chiefs spent a top 5 pick on OT and he's not even their best tackle. You know what slows down a good offense? A guy who can get to the QB
Originally posted by Stanley:
Nobody is pretending the edge isnt an issue. It will be addressed. It's just a value thing.

Value thing? It's not like these edge rushers at the top aren't good. And it's not like edge rusher isn't one of the most important positions in football.

You're planing for something that doesn't need to be replaced next yr. currently they have two journey men as our edge rushers (Watson/marsh).

Why not spend a 2nd or 3rd on a guy with the tools to be a solid RT, let him learn and develop, then put him in after the 2019 season?

Why not spend some cash on a tackle in 2020?
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

That's a bit Baalke, the Patriots were going to play Wynn at Tackle after a great Pre-Season. IMO if you're good enough you're long enough.

Measurables matter when you're talking about the top OT and using a top 5 pick.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

Measurables certainly matter when you're going with a player that early. I had similar concerns about Connor Williams last year although this Williams is obviously a much more skilled, talented player.
Share 49ersWebzone