LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 422 users in the forums

Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama

I noticed this guy last year while scouting DEs like Clelin Ferrell. Big-time talent.
I'd be stoked to add him. He can play RG for a season or two than move to Tackle when Staley hangs 'em up.
I think ER is our #1 need, followed by CB and then maybe OT, if Staley may not be around much longer. WR is also a need, but don't think we want to use our top 5 pick on a WR. Hoping for an edge rusher or Greedy Williams, but if it is OT, definitely hope this guy is like another McGlinchy! I would be fine with that!
[ Edited by hello49 on Nov 6, 2018 at 10:00 AM ]
I can't really be mad at adding the top Tackle in a draft.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I just don't see us going back to back tackles unless Staley retires.

Agree and ER is way too much of a priority.
If we win a couple more games I can't see him making it to us...Adams is staying another yr which makes Williams the best OT by far in this draft.

Zona, Buffalo, hell the giants need a OT in the worst way.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
If we win a couple more games I can't see him making it to us...Adams is staying another yr which makes Williams the best OT by far in this draft.

This might be the case, but even so you will get people shouting we must draft an edge rusher.

I'm all for using positional value and need, but at the end of the day apart from QB & TE we aren't set at any position so the main decider will be ability, we can practically choose BPA and it may well be Williams.

Everyone hated the McGlinchey pick at first, how's it looking now?

Most loved the Solomon pick, how's that looking now, just get great football players.
[ Edited by 49erBigMac on Nov 7, 2018 at 5:41 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

This might be the case, but even so you will get people shouting we must draft an edge rusher.

I'm all for using positional value and need, but at the end of the day apart from QB & TE we aren't set at any position so the main decider will be ability, we can practically choose BPA and it may well be Williams.

Most loved the Solomon pick, how's that looking now, just get great football players.

Well, count me as one of those people shouting for an edge rusher. Aside from Dekoda we don't have much. We have 2 starting OT and don't really want a 1st round draft pick sitting on the bench. In general I agree with BPA but it is a guideline, not a rule. Right now our needs at certain positions are too desperate.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
If these M'Fers don't come away from this offseason with TWO legitimate 12+ sack potential guys there should be hell to pay. I don't care how awesome some LT is. O-line is not even in the top 5 of our problems regardless of Staley's status.
Originally posted by English:

Well, count me as one of those people shouting for an edge rusher. Aside from Dekoda we don't have much. We have 2 starting OT and don't really want a 1st round draft pick sitting on the bench. In general I agree with BPA but it is a guideline, not a rule. Right now our needs at certain positions are too desperate.

The main reason for the outcry (myself included) is that we didn't sign a single second or third tier guy on the edge this year. My bet is that Watson and Marsh wouldn't get another starting gig on any other team but here. I think what we have to realize is that this front office is being very patient and cautious because they know they have long-term deals. If we don't identify Burns, Ferrel, Gary, Polite or Jackson as a top-tier talent and we do with J. Williams or Greedy, then we need to take those guys. Obviously a lot will depend on FA but people like myself who have been crying for an edge rusher I think would be perfectly fine with addressing the issue in FA or with the second pick(or trade back into the first) because I think this class has a lot of second tier pass rushers who can be had then.

BTW I think Williams is big enough to play inside until Staley retires. Could be a great pick.
Yep, I really want an ER, but would be fine with Williams (OT) or Greedy (CB), especially if the next best ER is not deemed as high a talent as both of them.
[ Edited by hello49 on Nov 7, 2018 at 1:40 PM ]

How does he stack up against other top OT in the last 10 or so years? He seems to check all the boxes and has all the tools.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
How does he stack up against other top OT in the last 10 or so years? He seems to check all the boxes and has all the tools.

Well it's difficult, I don't think you can go back 10 years as I think the position has changed in college leading to fewer pro ready guys.

Guys like McGlinchey and Ronnie Stanley came from pro offenses as Williams does and he is a better prospect than either.

Tunsil had the height/weight/footwork combo that works for a lot of teams, but again I think Williams is better.

Tyron Smith is the best of that type of prospect, but really you're looking as far as Joe Thomas to find a better prospect

Well it's difficult, I don't think you can go back 10 years as I think the position has changed in college leading to fewer pro ready guys.

Guys like McGlinchey and Ronnie Stanley came from pro offenses as Williams does and he is a better prospect than either.

Tunsil had the height/weight/footwork combo that works for a lot of teams, but again I think Williams is better.

Tyron Smith is the best of that type of prospect, but really you're looking as far as Joe Thomas to find a better prospect

Thanks. As tempting as it is, unless they just load up in FA, ER needs to be the pick. I wouldn't hate this pick though
Thanks. As tempting as it is, unless they just load up in FA, ER needs to be the pick. I wouldn't hate this pick though

I want an edge rusher as well, but only if they're at least nearly as good as him, just because it isn't a need right now it will be in a hurry if Staley decided to go.

I would still take Bosa in a heartbeat, but it isn't looking likely, none of the others have sold me yet.
I'm all for it. We need as many great pass protectors as possible. Our OL has given up 31 sacks this year (gave up 43 last year) and 2nd worst at 64 QB hits. And this is the best OL we've had in ages esp. for run blocking. Never stop adding talent to this OL. And our FQB is coming back from an ACL. Protect him!

[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 7, 2018 at 6:17 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone