Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 776 users in the forums

Edmunds or Roquan Smith?

Browse 49ers books and videos

Edmunds or Roquan Smith?

  • evil
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 46,737
Originally posted by susweel:
I'd rather take a CB.

If we sign a starter at CB in FA, do you still want a corner at 9/10?
Originally posted by okdkid:
Matt Miller has Edmunds going to Niners ahead of Roquan in his latest mock. Just one opinion among many.

The Pick: LB Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech
Here's what you need to know about Tremaine Edmunds—he's 19 years old, 6'5" and 260 pounds. He was also one of the best defenders in all of college football last season and has the skills to be molded into either a stud pass-rusher or a rangy stack linebacker.
The 49ers have invested several first-round picks in recent years on defenders—you have to go back to A.J. Jenkins in 2012 for the last time the Niners used their first first-rounder on offense—but the talent and potential of Edmunds is too good to pass up. Especially when he's such a natural fit for the defense.
With Jimmy Garoppolo likely to receive either the franchise tag or a long-term contract, the 49ers can be aggressive with the over $100 million in projected cap space. That allows for a pick that's a little more adventurous but has huge payoff potential.

Wow, how is it that he's only 19 years old?
Originally posted by ronniefreakinlott42:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Matt Miller has Edmunds going to Niners ahead of Roquan in his latest mock. Just one opinion among many.

The Pick: LB Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech
Here's what you need to know about Tremaine Edmunds—he's 19 years old, 6'5" and 260 pounds. He was also one of the best defenders in all of college football last season and has the skills to be molded into either a stud pass-rusher or a rangy stack linebacker.
The 49ers have invested several first-round picks in recent years on defenders—you have to go back to A.J. Jenkins in 2012 for the last time the Niners used their first first-rounder on offense—but the talent and potential of Edmunds is too good to pass up. Especially when he's such a natural fit for the defense.
With Jimmy Garoppolo likely to receive either the franchise tag or a long-term contract, the 49ers can be aggressive with the over $100 million in projected cap space. That allows for a pick that's a little more adventurous but has huge payoff potential.

Wow, how is it that he's only 19 years old?


I really don't understand why people say hes only 19. He's 21 unless I'm looking at a different tremaine Edmunds that went to VT.
Originally posted by Dillesq:
Originally posted by 801niner:
Which one is better at stuffing the run? Last thing we need is D Johnson/Peterson and Gurley running it down our throats when we need a stop with 5 mins left.

It's a passing league my friend.

....Nelson it is! Lol
I am not a fan of Edmunds AT ALL. Based on what I've reviewed, I would absolutely hate the pick. I understand he's incredibly raw and coming in at just the age of 19 or 20, but that's even more of an enormous risk than usual when investing a top 10 pick in someone. Reminds me too much of the Amobi Okoye hype years ago. He never lived up to expectations as a 7th overall pick, wound up bouncing around -- and then out of -- the league after a few years.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 5, 2018 at 3:35 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I am not a fan of Edmunds AT ALL. Based on what I've reviewed, I would absolutely hate the pick. I understand he's incredibly raw and coming in at just the age of 19 or 20, but that's even more of an enormous risk than usual when investing a top 10 pick in someone. Reminds me too much of the Amobi Okoye hype years ago. He never lived up to expectations as a 7th overall pick, wound up bouncing around -- and then out of -- the league after a few years.

This!

He's moves up into the first round for no other reasons than being tall and young.
Originally posted by Dillesq:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I am not a fan of Edmunds AT ALL. Based on what I've reviewed, I would absolutely hate the pick. I understand he's incredibly raw and coming in at just the age of 19 or 20, but that's even more of an enormous risk than usual when investing a top 10 pick in someone. Reminds me too much of the Amobi Okoye hype years ago. He never lived up to expectations as a 7th overall pick, wound up bouncing around -- and then out of -- the league after a few years.

This!

He's moves up into the first round for no other reasons than being tall and young.

Edmunds looks like a player whose overall production does not tell the whole story on him, and in my mind, taking him way early based entirely on potential is far too Trent Baalkean of a move for me to stomach.
Neither we need a bonafide edge rusher like Marcus Davenport
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Trade down.

Would take Smith 1st

I'm all for trading but you won't get Smith past 10 IMO
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Neither we need a bonafide edge rusher like Marcus Davenport

Well Davenport isn't bonafide so he's not the guy. He's a 2nd round pick
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Neither we need a bonafide edge rusher like Marcus Davenport

Explain how he's a bonafide edge rusher? Didn't look like a top end one during senior bowl practices to me.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Neither we need a bonafide edge rusher like Marcus Davenport

Explain how he's a bonafide edge rusher? Didn't look like a top end one during senior bowl practices to me.

he got better as the week went on and was a gamer. Lets see what maddogniner thinks
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
he got better as the week went on and was a gamer. Lets see what maddogniner thinks

You already know what he thinks of him so no reason to add that.

Imo he plays high and doesn't have the burst/bend around the edge that Saleh wants (tight hips).

I want to see how he does in 3 cone 20 yard shuttle before I even think about spending a top 10 pick.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 5, 2018 at 5:34 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I am not a fan of Edmunds AT ALL. Based on what I've reviewed, I would absolutely hate the pick. I understand he's incredibly raw and coming in at just the age of 19 or 20, but that's even more of an enormous risk than usual when investing a top 10 pick in someone. Reminds me too much of the Amobi Okoye hype years ago. He never lived up to expectations as a 7th overall pick, wound up bouncing around -- and then out of -- the league after a few years.

That's what I've been saying. Okoye was a better college player also. That same year we took a instinctive LBer that worked out pretty well for us.
If they are looking LB at where they're picking now then it's Edmunds all the way
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone