LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 324 users in the forums

New Orleans Saints trade

I wonder what Lawson or Hunt would look like on this current 49er team?
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I wonder what Lawson or Hunt would look like on this current 49er team?

I think both would be beasts. Lawson is dominating. All of his sacks are of the high-quality variety(ie not schemed or clean up). Kareem Hunt is playing in an outside zone scheme in KC. Obviously, KC's OL is much better than ours, but Hunt would fit like a glove in Kyle's scheme.
Ahhhh hindsight - are you ever wrong?

I'm fine with the trade. Could have been better sure, but at the time there was no way to be certain. I certainly don't think it was wasted.
How could anyone have been predicted the Saints defense and running game would make such a turnaround? It happens. Niners still have the opportunity to recoup their early second round pick or more by trading out of a top 5 pick. Lynch will have another chance to make things right in 2018.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
The trade was more of a chess move in order to add draft ammo in a trade up to get a QB in 2018 (e.g. Rosen) or maintain a pick in the 2nd round after a trade for a vet QB (e.g. Garoppolo or Cousins). With discussions already occurring with the NE Patriots leading up to the draft and continued rumors of Cousins long-term standing in WAS, I think had a good idea on his plans for that trade back.

Does it suck it's going to be a late 2nd? Yep. But a trade back in the 1st round will secure more draft picks and compensate for it.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by krizay:
No this really was a bad idea. Even shanny thought so.

Though people wanting Lawson, hunt or anyone else. Shanny already said it woulda been Terrell basham. Which I would have been fine with

When did shanny Said it was a bad idea to trade that pick? I don't remember him saying that...I do remember him being interested in basham (who if he really wanted could have taken over Witherspoon). For what it's worth basham has done a bunch of nothing in Indy.

He wanted to come away with spoon and Basham with those picks.

Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
No this really was a bad idea. Even shanny thought so.

Though people wanting Lawson, hunt or anyone else. Shanny already said it woulda been Terrell basham. Which I would have been fine with

He didn't say it was a bad idea, but he did say he had some players that he wanted. Shanahan eventually agreed that it made sense in the long term but a coach wants to open his presents early (words to that effect)

I didn't say shanny SAID that. I said he THOUGHT that. Yes he understood why it was done. As we all do. Doesn't mean we have to agree with it.

I didn't say shanny SAID that. I said he THOUGHT that. Yes he understood why it was done. As we all do. Doesn't mean we have to agree with it.

Fair point Krizay, I think it's a bit of a stretch to interpret what he said to him thinking it was a bad idea (unless you have some access to him). It's still a good trade, would just have been an amazing one if the Saints had done worse

Oh so you know what he was thinking I mean they could have very well drafted Basham but wanted that 2018 2nd over him. They could have moved up for him as well, but didn't value him that much and he's done a bunch of nothing thus far.

I'd much rather have a 2nd in 2018 vs Basham all day every day. Who knows if they make the move for jimmy g without having that 2nd 2nd rd pick
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I'm OK with the trade, 49ers got Jimmy G. and still able to draft in the 2nd round.
We just gotta make it count. Hey i hope we use it to trade up even if the trade gets a lil complicated lol.

Watch us trade down in the first and pick up a 2nd round pick or two?.. And then we trade the Saints 2nd for a 2019 first lol.

• PGENZ
  • Veteran
Baalke made a ton of trades that were applauded on draft day.

The issue is he never made it worth while by selecting playmakers.

My point is this trade allowed the trade for Jimmy G and gave the Niners the flexibility to still keep a 2nd this year.
Originally posted by GEEK:
The trade was more of a chess move in order to add draft ammo in a trade up to get a QB in 2018 (e.g. Rosen) or maintain a pick in the 2nd round after a trade for a vet QB (e.g. Garoppolo or Cousins). With discussions already occurring with the NE Patriots leading up to the draft and continued rumors of Cousins long-term standing in WAS, I think had a good idea on his plans for that trade back.

Does it suck it's going to be a late 2nd? Yep. But a trade back in the 1st round will secure more draft picks and compensate for it.

Yes, the Garoppolo trade rendered this not as important as it could have been. But hey, I applaud Lynch and the team for building in the flexibility to allow them more options regarding the most important position in the team. The fact that circumstances and a bit of luck rendered the move redundant shouldn't detract from that. But there are still options for that pick. Package it to move up for example. I like the way the team still assembles assets in forthcoming drafts. Long may it continue.
I did not care for this when it happened and it looks even worse now. I was hoping we would of taken Kamara and Kupp and now I really wish we took Kamara (or Lawson).

I also thought at the time when we made the trade, we would be getting back a mid 2nd rd pick at the very least but now it looks like it will be a very low 2nd rd pick. Oh well!

The Saints absolutely crushed the 2017 draft though. They got a shutdown corner in Lattimore who could be the cornerstone of their defense. They got a stud Offensive Tackle Ryan Ramczyk who has only given up 1 sack and 9 hurries this year and also Kamara who looks like a stud all-around running back
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
I did not care for this when it happened and it looks even worse now. I was hoping we would of taken Kamara and Kupp and now I really wish we took Kamara (or Lawson).

I also thought at the time when we made the trade, we would be getting back a mid 2nd rd pick at the very least but now it looks like it will be a very low 2nd rd pick. Oh well!

The Saints absolutely crushed the 2017 draft though. They got a shutdown corner in Lattimore who could be the cornerstone of their defense. They got a stud Offensive Tackle Ryan Ramczyk who has only given up 1 sack and 9 hurries this year and also Kamara who looks like a stud all-around running back

It only looks worse now because fans can look at the players we did not get with that pick.

We do not know who we will get with the pick acquired yet.

We also have to look at where we were at that point in time. A team with no FQB, and acquiring a higher pick for the following draft was putting another chip in our pile. Those chips could have proven necessary and valuable if we would have had to trade up in this years class for a QB.

Like Geek said, Lynch made a great chess move at that point in time.
It doesn't have great value and there were some major players we could've had. I honestly would've rather we took a few guys that were available, but what's done is done. For those saying we could've had Lawson, I think Lawson was still on the board with the Joe WIlliams pick. I'm just glad we still have a 2nd rounder. Even if it is a low one.
Share 49ersWebzone