There are 196 users in the forums

New Orleans Saints trade

• eman
  • Veteran
Unlike the trade with the bears that had me Jumping in joy at the 2017 NFL draft, I was quite shocked that we traded with the saints our 3rd rd pick (#3) only for their 2018 2nd rd pick. granted it was a gamble seeing if new orleans ends up being a bad team, then we would get a high 2nd, but usually such gamble would have been nice with a mid 3rd rounder, or even getting their 5th or 6th rd this year and 2nd next year

in any rate, it will look like we traded our #67 pick in 2017 for their #55-60 pick in 2018.

hopefully the new regime will learn from their mistake moving forth
just wanted to point this out, since everyone is lauding the 9ers for the draft steal they received and never pointed out this dud
Originally posted by eman:
Unlike the trade with the bears that had me Jumping in joy at the 2017 NFL draft, I was quite shocked that we traded with the saints our 3rd rd pick (#3) only for their 2018 2nd rd pick. granted it was a gamble seeing if new orleans ends up being a bad team, then we would get a high 2nd, but usually such gamble would have been nice with a mid 3rd rounder, or even getting their 5th or 6th rd this year and 2nd next year

in any rate, it will look like we traded our #67 pick in 2017 for their #55-60 pick in 2018.

just wanted to point this out, since everyone is lauding the 9ers for the draft steal they received and never pointed out this dud

I wasn't a huge fan of the trade at the time because I really wanted Carl Lawson there but I felt like we did it with the idea to get as much ammo as possible to make a possible trade up for a franchise QB.

Now obviously the narrative changed a bit but having a 2nd round pick, even if it's going to be close to a 3rd round pick is nice after we traded away our early 2nd rounder for Jimmy.
Originally posted by genus49:

I wasn't a huge fan of the trade at the time because I really wanted Carl Lawson there but I felt like we did it with the idea to get as much ammo as possible to make a possible trade up for a franchise QB.

Now obviously the narrative changed a bit but having a 2nd round pick, even if it's going to be close to a 3rd round pick is nice after we traded away our early 2nd rounder for Jimmy.

agreed, hopefully we use this late 2nd rounder to get some O-Line help.
TRUST THE PROCESS

BRICK BY BRICK
Originally posted by genus49:

Yep. At the time I was banging the table for either Lawson or Kamara who the saints ended up taking. It's stings all the more that both players are playing so well right now. I still don't think it's fair to judge the move just yet though until we see who the niners take with the pick they received and what kind of a player that person becomes.
Yeah that trade is not looking so hot right now considering that the pick could have become Kareem Hunt, Carl Lawson, Cooper Kupp or several other players who are making an impact right now. 49ers will be waiting a whole year to potentially move up as little as 3 or 4 spots in the draft.
Saints pick should be worth 275-300 points appropriately. Would take our high 3rd round pick to move up it to the top of the 2nd round.

If we trade down in the 1st and get a 2nd, it could put that 2nd into the bottom of the first.
I'm glad we did it. Now we still have a second rounder. I'm also glad we taded our 4th and 6th (or was it a 7th?) in order to move up a few spots for Beathard. I'm also glad we drafted Trent Taylor.

We generally did well in the mid/late rounds and I still love the Foster move. Only pick I wasn't thrilled with was Thomas but I'm OK with it, especially if he develops into a stud. Armstead isn't going to be a stud at this point. Thomas will likley replace him. Still, I'd rather have a pure pass rusher but Thomas was pretty much considered a top 5 pick by most people so it's not like we reached. I think it was done with an eye on moving on from Armstead. I just hope he can develop into a Justin Smith type player.

Anyway, Saints trade. It's better to have more draft picks year two of a rebuild because the new HC/GM will have had time to evaluate the roster and plan for needs. Now that QB is taken care of we can focus on other needs, and there are many. We need all the early picks we can get. I really hope we trade back in the first. We need about 7 new starters and a few depth players. About 10-12 new guys and that's not going to happen in one draft/free agency unless we trade back and get a bounty.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Yeah that trade is not looking so hot right now considering that the pick could have become Kareem Hunt, Carl Lawson, Cooper Kupp or several other players who are making an impact right now. 49ers will be waiting a whole year to potentially move up as little as 3 or 4 spots in the draft.

We can look at every draft and say we should've done this or that. Can't say it was a bad idea till we use the pick in 2018. Then we have to wait to see what the player does- so we'll know if it was a bad move by the end of 2018. Maybe not till 2019. (Some players take a year or so to make an impact).

But ya, it would've been nice to draft Kupp or Kamara. I actually wanted Kamara with that pick. Made me kinda angry that the Saints used our pick to get him. LOL

Still, I'm going to wait and see what we do with their second rounder. Hopefully we can get a good WR or gaurd. Perhaps move up a few spots of we have to. I'm really looking forward to this next draft/free agency.
Really hoping we find a way to trade down. I think we end up picking #3 or #4. The Giants won't be firing McAdoodle and those players just don't give a fuk anymore. If they fired him now an interim coach could've gotten some fire out of them and have them win a couple of more games...not going to happen now.

I think we have a legit chance against Seattle with all their injuries and coming off a short week as it is. I think we have a legit shot vs Chicago and Houston.

Just goes to show you though as bad as a 4-12 season would be....we may not even pick top 2 after it's said and done.

Have to root for QBs and Barkley to play their balls off towards the home stretch and show up big in offseason to drive up the price. Even if we pick after the Giants there's a chance both Cleveland and NY goes QB. If we can see 3 QBs climb to the top we can still make a deal with a team like Buffalo or Jets.

Honestly the guys I love for this team probably aren't top 3 picks. Ridley, Nelson, Chubb, Landry. I think all of them will be great players but at least right now I'd think of each of them as a reach at #3 overall.

So go Rosen, go Darnold, go Jackson, go Giants, go Browns, fuk you Saints.

Carl Lawson

Maybe that second will turn into Jeff Holland this year
Originally posted by Heroism:
Carl Lawson

Maybe that second will turn into Jeff Holland this year

Not like we didn't have another 2 rounds to have picked him.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
I didn't like it at the time either.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/188680-2017-nfl-entry-draft-spoilers/page291/search=like,kid9r
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
It's whatever.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
agreed, hopefully we use this late 2nd rounder to get some O-Line help.

um, we better use our first round pick for some oline help.
Share 49ersWebzone