49ers vs. Broncos Tickets Available! →

There are 523 users in the forums

Best fit in the draft for Sam LB?

Browse 49ers books and videos

Best fit in the draft for Sam LB?

Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:
Do we really need a SAM that can pass rush though? Don't we have guys who are supposed to be pass rushers such as Eli Harold? I think more than anything we need the SAM for the stack look, which is why I like Connor Harris... later than the guys like Bowser and Willis. He reminds me a lot of Zach Thomas, tackling machines. He can come out for those pass rushing downs, and potentially be Bowman's future replacement!

Imagine Conor Harris on the line of scrimmage against Vance McDonald trying to anchor down and play contain...lol dude would get steamrolled.

SAM has to be able to anchor down against a tackle, tight end, fullback, etc. he needs to have decent size and length to do so.
[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 12, 2017 at 9:57 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:
Do we really need a SAM that can pass rush though? Don't we have guys who are supposed to be pass rushers such as Eli Harold? I think more than anything we need the SAM for the stack look, which is why I like Connor Harris... later than the guys like Bowser and Willis. He reminds me a lot of Zach Thomas, tackling machines. He can come out for those pass rushing downs, and potentially be Bowman's future replacement!

Imagine Conor Harris on the line of scrimmage against Vance McDonald trying to anchor down and play contain...lol dude would get steamrolled.

SAM has to be able to anchor down against a tackle, tight end, fullback, etc. he needs to have decent size and length to do so.
People worried about Zach Thomas's 5'11" height coming out of Texas Tech, but look how he turned out 633 career tackles, yes at lower level, but I don't really see him getting steam rolled by anyone... dude can play ball! 33" vert isn't bad either = to Raekwon's..
How about a guy like Vince Beigel?
Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:
People worried about Zach Thomas's 5'11" height coming out of Texas Tech, but look how he turned out 633 career tackles, yes at lower level, but I don't really see him getting steam rolled by anyone... dude can play ball! 33" vert isn't bad either = to Raekwon's..
How about a guy like Vince Beigel?

Zach thomas played an entirely different role...
Originally posted by Heroism:
Zach thomas played an entirely different role...
Middle, but still rushed, filled run, dropped into coverage.. in a typical 4-3 I think Thomas could play either of the 3 backer spots..
Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:
Middle, but still rushed, filled run, dropped into coverage.. in a typical 4-3 I think Thomas could play either of the 3 backer spots..

Okay, but we're talking a vey specific role that entails primarily setting the edge, covering the flat, and rushing the passer as an edge rusher, none of which constitutes Zach Thomas' role as a middle linebacker.
[ Edited by Heroism on Apr 12, 2017 at 11:08 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:
Middle, but still rushed, filled run, dropped into coverage.. in a typical 4-3 I think Thomas could play either of the 3 backer spots..

Okay, but we're talking a vey specific role that entails primarily setting the edge, covering the flat, and rushing the passer as an edge rusher, none of which constitutes Zach Thomas' role as a middle linebacker.

Out of the nickel yes, but i'm saying base 4-3, harris could cover and give run support, when pass rush is needed he can sub out.

back to my question though -- What about a guy such as Vince Biegel?
Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:
Middle, but still rushed, filled run, dropped into coverage.. in a typical 4-3 I think Thomas could play either of the 3 backer spots..

Okay, but we're talking a vey specific role that entails primarily setting the edge, covering the flat, and rushing the passer as an edge rusher, none of which constitutes Zach Thomas' role as a middle linebacker.

Out of the nickel yes, but i'm saying base 4-3, harris could cover and give run support, when pass rush is needed he can sub out.

back to my question though -- What about a guy such as Vince Biegel?

No. In the 4-3 under defense, the SAM is on the LOS, covering the TE or wing.

I think Biegel could potentially do it in a couple years, after he gains 10-20 pounds and some strength.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
No. In the 4-3 under defense, the SAM is on the LOS, covering the TE or wing.

I think Biegel could potentially do it in a couple years, after he gains 10-20 pounds and some strength.

So how often would we even run a 4-3 stack? So do you see Harris as a potential Will or Mike in the league in 4-3 or ILB in 3-4?
Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
No. In the 4-3 under defense, the SAM is on the LOS, covering the TE or wing.

I think Biegel could potentially do it in a couple years, after he gains 10-20 pounds and some strength.

So how often would we even run a 4-3 stack? So do you see Harris as a potential Will or Mike in the league in 4-3 or ILB in 3-4?

I think it would be extremely rare to see the 49ers in a 4-3 even set. They might put a big guy in at LEO, flip SAM to weak side and play an over front if we're getting worked in the run game, but there's no tendency by any defense Saleh has coached in while an NFL coach that indicates any tendency to play all 3 LBs off the LOS and in the box.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Man I can't wait to hear something about how the competitions went, who stands out where in the scheme, etc. So many questions regarding "where do they see him playing?" still remain, even after Saleh talked a lot about this. The box safety competition is going to be a lot of fun.

Our LB depth was so deplorable last year. Seeing Brooks go/cut/traded, would imho, be a big mistake. He can excel at Base SAM, and come in and rush end if needed in sub. He's a vet, a pro, dependable, knows his job, does it, and he's consistent, and reliable. We know what we're going to get from him, and he brings it. I'm not saying he's a stud , just that teams needs guys like Brooks - I wish we had more of him. Instead, we have a lot of guys with questions about what they can do, where they will be, and how well they are going to contribute. (but that also makes this off season interesting and full of hope).

Yeah for sure! I'd love if I could get one more year out of my Brooks jersey.

Plus, he's the veteran that this FO spent the off season bringing in to help get the rookies up to speed. I doubt he goes anywhere.

The competitions are going to be epic. I can't wait!
TJ Watt or Tyus Bowser seem like perfect fits.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
TJ Watt or Tyus Bowser seem like perfect fits.
If we can trade back from 2, add another 2nd: Solomon/Trubisky/Hooker/Adams, Rivers for LEO, and Watt for SAM

skip Trubisky, Peterman in the 3rd.

LOVE the idea of it
He's listed as a safety, but this guy is an animal.. he plays the line of scrimmage, sets the edge on rush, and can cover...
Honestly can't believe I haven't found this guy til now.. with some work, he could be SAM maybe with some work... nothing else, he could be our Bam Bam Kam, if Tartt doesn't pan out and we decide to go away from Reid, maybe even a WILL, idk..Not even sure when he'd get drafted or at all, he's intriguing though!
what do you guys think?
Originally posted by 49erInTheMidwest:
He's listed as a safety, but this guy is an animal.. he plays the line of scrimmage, sets the edge on rush, and can cover...
Honestly can't believe I haven't found this guy til now.. with some work, he could be SAM maybe with some work... nothing else, he could be our Bam Bam Kam, if Tartt doesn't pan out and we decide to go away from Reid, maybe even a WILL, idk..Not even sure when he'd get drafted or at all, he's intriguing though!
what do you guys think?

Nice find, looks a bit limited athletically, I'm sure he'd at least be a great special teamer and thus worth a late pick. I'd have doubts he'd make it as a SAM or SS for us but still worth a look
Safeties usually transition better to WILL than SAM IMO.

Niners already have a player like that in Tartt.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone