There are 173 users in the forums

Best fit in the draft for Sam LB?

Best fit in the draft for Sam LB?

Originally posted by GhostOfBaalke:
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
The Honey Badger went in the early 3rd round, not the 5th. Jenkins went in the early 2nd.

And both of these guys had much more severe issues than weed smoking. Mathieu used heroin. Jenkins other issues as well; and that's just the stuff we know about.

All of these guys are bad news, but sometimes the gamble pays off (and I'd say it does more times than not with guys this talented).

Heroin? Any facts to back that up? All I ever heard of was rumors and just stupid weed charges.

Upon a second look, I guess the herion usage was never proved, but it was widely suspected (or some kind of opiates). But people don't typically go to rehab and attempt suicide because they smoke weed.

But going by what you can prove with pro' athletes is ret**ded. For every time they get caught doing something, you know they've done that & more dozens of times in the past. Like drunk driving: I saw a study maybe 15 years ago that said people who get busted w/ a DUI have driven drunk around 300 times before, on average.

The point is that Mathieu didn't pass the smell test, and neither does Tim Williams; but I'd still take Williams in the 3rd round.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Apr 12, 2017 at 12:34 AM ]
Mid-round gems:

SAM - T.Bowser (3rd)
LEO - T.Basham (4th)

The Double TBs
[ Edited by 808niner4lyphe on Apr 12, 2017 at 2:06 AM ]
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Mid-round gems:

SAM - T.Browser (3rd)
LEO - T.Basham (4th)

The Double TBs

Middle name Netscape!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Mid-round gems:

SAM - T.Bowser (3rd)
LEO - T.Basham (4th)

The Double TBs

Middle name Netscape!

Mah bad!! Fixed..
[ Edited by 808niner4lyphe on Apr 12, 2017 at 2:05 AM ]
Technically, we don't need the SAM to be a 3 down player... you can use different guys to get the job done as we know. Gonna be interesting when we target ours.
Ryan Anderson

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ryan-anderson?id=2557853
[ Edited by jreff22 on Apr 12, 2017 at 6:31 AM ]
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Technically, we don't need the SAM to be a 3 down player... you can use different guys to get the job done as we know. Gonna be interesting when we target ours.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have a player who could be an every down SAM...can stuff the run, set the edge, run with TE's & RB's and can pass rush from both sides of the formation. But if not, we have several players right now who could be base down SAM's. But we BADLY need an edge rusher for that 70% of the time in nickel and 100% of the time from the Elephant.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Yeah, it'd be nice to have a player who could be an every down SAM...can stuff the run, set the edge, run with TE's & RB's and can pass rush from both sides of the formation. But if not, we have several players right now who could be base down SAM's. But we BADLY need an edge rusher for that 70% of the time in nickel and 100% of the time from the Elephant.

Brooks does this.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

Brooks does this.

Not enough pass rush for this defense though...same could be said for Lynch who's going to give it a go at Elephant. You can expect around 6 sacks from the edges from these two (which is great if this was still the 3-4 and from the SAM where pass rush is about 3rd on the list of their responsibilities there). But in this modern-day 4-3_under, you need burners on the edges (ER's who play with their "hair on fire") --- yeah, not exactly Brooks, Harold or Lynch. LOL

Brooks does this.

Not enough pass rush for this defense though...same could be said for Lynch who's going to give it a go at Elephant. You can expect around 6 sacks from the edges from these two (which is great if this was still the 3-4 and from the SAM where pass rush is about 3rd on the list of their responsibilities there). But in this modern-day 4-3_under, you need burners on the edges (ER's who play with their "hair on fire") --- yeah, not exactly Brooks, Harold or Lynch. LOL

I agree that Brooks isn't a premier pass rusher, and I hope we get some. But he can set the edge as good as anyone, he's fine in a zone, and he can apply pressure. Can we upgrade? Yes please. But as I type this, yet again someone else is trying to trade away our Brooks!

Hands off the Brooks!
[ Edited by Lobo49er on Apr 12, 2017 at 8:48 AM ]

Originally posted by jreff22:
Ryan Anderson

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/ryan-anderson?id=2557853

This is def my vote. I was surprised to not see him on here. It's a string consensus he will do well in the league, he just isn't a freak atheletic so he isn't a first rounder for some reason lol

I'd be more than happy with him in the second or third. They compare him to Ahmad brooks, so why not have him learn behind him?? Haha
I agree that Brooks isn't a premier pass rusher, and I hope we get some. But he can set the edge as good as anyone, he's fine in a zone, and he can apply pressure. Can we upgrade? Yes please. But as I type this, yet again someone else is trying to trade away our Brooks!

Hands off the Brooks!

LOL. No need to trade him or cut him. He still has a ton of value on base downs (30-40% of the downs at SAM) and can play both DE spots as well. I had a feeling all along Harold would end up competing for that SAM so that will be a fun competition to watch as well. One of my favorite positions to watch in this new defense will be the box SS...enter Reid, Tartt and I bet, Ray-Ray (former S who outright won the LB spot last year); he could very well end up being ideal there for that role.
Do we really need a SAM that can pass rush though? Don't we have guys who are supposed to be pass rushers such as Eli Harold? I think more than anything we need the SAM for the stack look, which is why I like Connor Harris... later than the guys like Bowser and Willis. He reminds me a lot of Zach Thomas, tackling machines. He can come out for those pass rushing downs, and potentially be Bowman's future replacement!
LOL. No need to trade him or cut him. He still has a ton of value on base downs (30-40% of the downs at SAM) and can play both DE spots as well. I had a feeling all along Harold would end up competing for that SAM so that will be a fun competition to watch as well. One of my favorite positions to watch in this new defense will be the box SS...enter Reid, Tartt and I bet, Ray-Ray (former S who outright won the LB spot last year); he could very well end up being ideal there for that role.
Brooks age is why I think we need base down SAM.

Agree, SS should be fun with those 3 competing.

Hands off the Brooks!

Man I can't wait to hear something about how the competitions went, who stands out where in the scheme, etc. So many questions regarding "where do they see him playing?" still remain, even after Saleh talked a lot about this. The box safety competition is going to be a lot of fun.

Our LB depth was so deplorable last year. Seeing Brooks go/cut/traded, would imho, be a big mistake. He can excel at Base SAM, and come in and rush end if needed in sub. He's a vet, a pro, dependable, knows his job, does it, and he's consistent, and reliable. We know what we're going to get from him, and he brings it. I'm not saying he's a stud , just that teams needs guys like Brooks - I wish we had more of him. Instead, we have a lot of guys with questions about what they can do, where they will be, and how well they are going to contribute. (but that also makes this off season interesting and full of hope).
Share 49ersWebzone