LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 246 users in the forums

Aaron Jones-RB-UTEP

Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
But is he a generational talent?

Clearly yes, they always get drafted in the mid/late rounds, right?

they do

let's check out the rushing leaders this past season (and where they were drafted)

Zeke-1st
Howard-5th
Murray-3rd
Ajaji-5th
Bell-2nd
McCoy-2nd
DJ-3rd
Blount-UDFA
Freeman-4th
Miller-4th

Only one 1st RD pick and even an old beat up McFadden had 1,000 yards behind that line. Productive RBs can be had later #facts
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 29, 2017 at 6:01 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
they do

let's check out the rushing leaders this past season (and where they were drafted)

Zeke-1st
Howard-5th
Murray-3rd
Ajaji-5th
Bell-2nd
McCoy-2nd
DJ-3rd
Blount-UDFA
Freeman-4th
Miller-4th

Only one 1st RD pick and even an old beat up McFadden had 1,000 yards behind that line. Productive RBs can be had later #facts

You have too much time on your hands sir. All that reply for sarcastic, semi-snarky post.

If we draft a RB in the middle rounds, chances are he's not going to be a generational talent. You don't need to be a generational talent to be a productive RB in the NFL.

I think that was my point. I'm not sure anymore. I just don't see the point in asking if the kid is a generational talent if he's likely not going until the later rounds.
Kinda hoping we draft him just cause he's from my home town.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
4.56, almost but not quite pedestrian.

Good enough number if he accelerates quickly and finds the running lane. He was also among the top performers in the rest of the drills.

2nd best 3 cone
2nd best vert
3rd best broad jump
3rd best 20 yard shuttle
3rd best 60 yard shuttle

Easy to see why they are interested.
You have too much time on your hands sir. All that reply for sarcastic, semi-snarky post.

If we draft a RB in the middle rounds, chances are he's not going to be a generational talent. You don't need to be a generational talent to be a productive RB in the NFL.

I think that was my point. I'm not sure anymore. I just don't see the point in asking if the kid is a generational talent if he's likely not going until the later rounds.

it's not very hard to see who was the top 10 rushers in the league

what is a generational talent anyway? everyone flipping out of LF and then D'Onta Foreman runs a reported 4.41-4.44 40 at 235 lbs (which is better than LF) and he's looked at as a 4th rd pick.

what is a generational talent anyway? everyone flipping out of LF and then D'Onta Foreman runs a reported 4.41-4.44 40 at 235 lbs (which is better than LF) and he's looked at as a 4th rd pick.

A freakish athlete in the mold of Adrian Peterson would be a good guideline IMO, if it even matters really.

A freakish athlete in the mold of Adrian Peterson would be a good guideline IMO, if it even matters really.

Apparently that can be had in the 4th rd with Foreman...just as big, faster, can pass block, can catch balls, and ran for 2,000+ this past season

hey we will see
He can catch and looks smooth when cutting.

Not on MD's big board.
He's like a mini David Johnson. Not as much of a bulldozer though. Still a once every 3 years generational type player.
they do

Zeke-1st
Howard-5th
Murray-3rd
Ajaji-5th
Bell-2nd
McCoy-2nd
DJ-3rd
Blount-UDFA
Freeman-4th
Miller-4th

Also need to take into account there were other reasons those RBs fell into the rounds they did similarly to how Mixon will fall.

Zeke-1st (Obvious first round talent)
Howard-5th (Don't know how this guy fell to the 5th. I knew he would be special and even drafted him high in my fantasy league which helped a lot)
Murray-3rd (Injury concerns... don't think he was ever completely healthy at OK)
Ajaji-5th (Injury concerns... torn ACL I believe)
Bell-2nd (I believe he had size concerns... but then he promptly lost a bunch of weight and is now all pro)
McCoy-2nd (some character concerns came out early in the process)
DJ-3rd (played at a small school against weak competition and new to the position... what a dumb concern in hindsight)
Blount-UDFA (punched a dude in the face but I think before he was talked about in the 2nd and 3rd round)
Freeman-4th (size and injury concerns)
Miller-4th (I don't remember if there were any concerns)

Originally posted by gored49:
Also need to take into account there were other reasons those RBs fell into the rounds they did similarly to how Mixon will fall.

Howard-5th (Don't know how this guy fell to the 5th. I knew he would be special and even drafted him high in my fantasy league which helped a lot)
Murray-3rd (Injury concerns... don't think he was ever completely healthy at OK)
Bell-2nd (I believe he had size concerns... but then he promptly lost a bunch of weight and is now all pro)
DJ-3rd (played at a small school against weak competition and new to the position... what a dumb concern in hindsight)
Blount-UDFA (punched a dude in the face but I think before he was talked about in the 2nd and 3rd round)

Yet that all became top 10 rushers....you don't have to burn a top 5 pick on a RB to get a great RB that's the point

Yet that all became top 10 rushers....you don't have to burn a top 5 pick on a RB to get a great RB that's the point

I agree but my notes clearly point out that you probably need to take a risk after round 3 (like Mixon will be really good but are you taking the chance on him keeping his nose clean? He could be a top 5 rusher for sure). If I took the time, I'm sure I could put together a list of rushers that should've been really good after round 2 and they didn't pan out. One right now for me personally is Tyler Ervin. I really thought he was going to be an overlooked RB in the draft last year that would surprise.
Another generational talent.
I agree but my notes clearly point out that you probably need to take a risk after round 3 (like Mixon will be really good but are you taking the chance on him keeping his nose clean? He could be a top 5 rusher for sure). If I took the time, I'm sure I could put together a list of rushers that should've been really good after round 2 and they didn't pan out. One right now for me personally is Tyler Ervin. I really thought he was going to be an overlooked RB in the draft last year that would surprise.

Not sure what your debating? There's pluses and minuses to just about every player in the draft. I can throw out 1st rd picks at RB that never reached their draft slot potential just as well. What I've been saying is you can fine good production at RB and not have to spend a top 5 pick on them. The top 10 list proves it...and regardless of the negatives you added to the guys on that list none were "generational" talents even if they had some off field issues, weren't the ideal size, injuries etc...

I'm all for going RB but not in the 1st, there's a ton of talent at that position and we need someone that fits what Kyle wants.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Another generational talent.

I know right
Share 49ersWebzone