LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 221 users in the forums

Aaron Jones-RB-UTEP

Jones had a private workout with the 49ers. Super productive college RB that has had some injury issues but he seems like a true Shanahan special. A mid round RB that fits well into the zone blocking scheme, decent size, great lateral movement and quickness, put up very good numbers at the Combine and can contribute both as a runner and receiver. He didn't get many opportunities to catch passes at UTEP but has shown good hands, also has made a lot of improvement as a pass blocker. He has some character issues, a DUI in his past and of course the injury that took him out of commission for the 2015 season. Overall he's a pretty good prospect for a zone blocking scheme, quick, tough, runs through people, decisive and someone that could be the next mid round 1,000 yard rusher in the Shanahan scheme.

5'9", 208.

Combine Numbers

40 Time-4.56

Bench-16 Reps

Vertical-37.5

Broad Jump-127

3 Cone-6.82

20 Yard Shuttle-4.20

60 Yard Shuttle-11.53
They're bringing in a lot of late round guys with character concerns. Jones is the guy I like the most though. I'll trust whoever they bring in.
I saw him in person take a man sized dump all over my beloved Lobos (UNM). First game of the year a couple of years ago. Like 250 yards and 3 TD.

Last year he pissed all over the Aggies (NMSU, lololol).

Glad he's freakin gone pro.
Kyle is looking to work that "nobody-to-1000yd-rusher" Shanahan magic.
[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 28, 2017 at 7:50 PM ]

Love what I see. He has some amazing balance and has one of the best stiff arms. Runs with determination.
Originally posted by saniner:
They're bringing in a lot of late round guys with character concerns. Jones is the guy I like the most though. I'll trust whoever they bring in.

I could see Jones playing a similar role to Freeman in Atlanta.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by saniner:

I could see Jones playing a similar role to Freeman in Atlanta.

They are similar in size and speed. If Jones was drafted here and turned into that caliber of player I'd be ok with it
4.56, almost but not quite pedestrian.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:

Good enough number if he accelerates quickly and finds the running lane. He was also among the top performers in the rest of the drills.

He was among the top performers at RB in nearly every other category. In this particular offense your cutting ability and agility is a better predictor of success than pure speed. How many of the guys who thrived in this scheme in the past were pure burner types? That certainly doesn't describe Arian Foster or Alfred Morris. Jones outdid Devonta Freeman in every single category so his quickness and agility certainly aren't in question.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 28, 2017 at 9:10 PM ]

Great burst @3:42. Ran right through the Longhorn defense.
[ Edited by zonkers on Mar 28, 2017 at 10:19 PM ]
But is he a generational talent?
  • jcs
  • Veteran

4.7 for a RB is pedestrian. I think it also matters as to how quick or how fast you are with pads on. Lets not forget Hyde is a 4.66 guy himself.

He was among the top performers at RB in nearly every other category. In this particular offense your cutting ability and agility is a better predictor of success than pure speed. How many of the guys who thrived in this scheme in the past were pure burner types? That certainly doesn't describe Arian Foster or Alfred Morris. Jones outdid Devonta Freeman in every single category so his quickness and agility certainly aren't in question.

Originally posted by JaggedJ:
But is he a generational talent?

Clearly yes, they always get drafted in the mid/late rounds, right?
Share 49ersWebzone